CGTalk > Software > Autodesk Maya
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 11-12-2012, 04:49 AM   #1
kachoudas
Frequenter

outdated tools in Maya ? (if any)

Hello every one !

Coming from a strong background of Max, I recently started learning Maya. So far I love it, and find it quite similar to Max in its mix of "Wow ! what a great tool !" and "what the f..., you can't do that simple thing ?"

My question is : are there tools (whole areas) that are clearly outdated, still there only for compatibilty, and that a beginner could (or even should) avoid ? For exemple, in Max, it could be things like Patch, mesh(non poly) and nurbs modeling, may be the physic modifier, the HDIK, old booleans and such...

Things that may be usefull once in a while, but really that are not worth spending the time to learn it...

Any idea ?

Or Maya had be cleaned in various version of outdated tools ?

yours

Jerome

Old 11-12-2012, 10:29 AM   #2
mustique
Expert
copywriter

You seem to have discovered the fun stuff in Maya, so I'll cover the not so fun part.

- don't try mastering polytools if you know max
- nurbs modelling is old tech in maya, not updated for years.
- The native maya software renderer is a dead horse don't beat it
- Mentalray in maya can be a bitch. Vray, Rman or Arnold are your alternatives.
- The classic particle dynamics have an oldschool workflow, you probably won't like them
- There's demoware bundled in recent years, (DMM, bulletdynamics...) stay away
- Don't try to texture a character with Maya's 3D paint tool. They'll laugh at you.
- Maya Fur is not suited for long hair and is hard to sculpt

Old 11-12-2012, 11:11 AM   #3
Gloor
Expert
portfolio
Tom
United Kingdom

just out of interest, please

-why stay away from DMM and bullet?
-proper way to texture now is to do UV layout and then apply texture file from photoshop?
-if no particle use then what instead? Only nparticles?

Old 11-12-2012, 05:04 PM   #4
mustique
Expert
copywriter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloor
just out of interest, please

-why stay away from DMM and bullet?
-proper way to texture now is to do UV layout and then apply texture file from photoshop?
-if no particle use then what instead? Only nparticles?

Everything can be used. It's just that these tools are not ready for prime time, obsolete or bundleware. You wouldn't start to learn Actionscript if you wanted to be a web dev these days, would you?

Old 11-13-2012, 12:21 AM   #5
egglybagelface
Maya Sloth
portfolio
eggly bagelface
Sydney, AU

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustique

- don't try mastering polytools if you know max
- nurbs modelling is old tech in maya, not updated for years.
- The native maya software renderer is a dead horse don't beat it
- Mentalray in maya can be a bitch. Vray, Rman or Arnold are your alternatives.
- The classic particle dynamics have an oldschool workflow, you probably won't like them
- There's demoware bundled in recent years, (DMM, bulletdynamics...) stay away
- Don't try to texture a character with Maya's 3D paint tool. They'll laugh at you.
- Maya Fur is not suited for long hair and is hard to sculpt

But that's a pretty harsh way of looking at it... but unfortunately 99% true.
But don't avoid 3D artisan.... Maya 3D paint tool is only good for painting such like skin weights and other attributes values.

Also, don't bother learning Sub-d modeling, too.

Do your poly modeling in 3dsmax if you still have a license.
----------

Maya is a fairly big program out-of-the-box, as is 3dsmax. But imho both require lots of 3rd party plugins (not just autodesk's out-of-the-box plugins) or scripts to make them usable for a production.

Go harvesting the internet for scripts from people's blog and personal pages as well as creativecrash.com.
You'll quickly see that the available scripts there are to download and functionality that isn't there out-of-the-box will mount up and out do 3dsmax greatly.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:18 AM   #6
kachoudas
Frequenter

Thanks guys

That is useful info. I understand others may have different opinion, but at least, it will help me keep a cautious eye on these tools before jumping in tutorial and help file.

Actually I plan to stick to Max in the near future, but I'd like to know enough of Maya to do a professional switch quickly should the need arise. And also, I just needs a bit of change...

Any other input ?

Jerome

Old 11-13-2012, 10:25 PM   #7
Hamburger
Expert
portfolio
Where is it?
Architectural Viz
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by kachoudas
are there tools (whole areas) that are clearly outdated, still there only for compatibilty,

mustique has nailed it.

Also - DO NOT USE PER FACE SHADING ASSIGNMENTS! It'll break maya more often than not, especially with referencing and render layers. Watch out on render layers too, make sure to backup your files as it can corrupt.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:57 AM   #8
fizzbin
Veteran
portfolio
Vik Sohal
Co-Founder
Pixelux Entertainment
San Jose, USA

DMM in Maya

I would not say DMM is outdated by any stretch of the imagination. The fact that it gets used regularly on high-end productions as well as major hero shots on films is proof of that.

There are certainly people who don't know how to use DMM properly and so they will say all sorts of disparaging things about it, but then those same people will say that of pretty much any graphical tool they don't fully understand, even Maya and Max.

Here's an example of a recent, fairly straightforward destruction segment done with DMM:
Anatomy of a Destruction Shot (with DMM)

-Vik

Last edited by fizzbin : 11-18-2012 at 12:09 PM.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:03 PM   #9
mustique
Expert
copywriter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzbin
I would not say DMM is outdated by any stretch of the imagination. The fact that it gets used regularly on high-end productions as well as major hero shots on films is proof of that.

There are certainly people who don't know how to use DMM properly and so they will say all sorts of disparaging things about it, but then those same people will say that of pretty much any graphical tool they don't fully understand, even Maya and x...
-Vik

you have clearly been coding too much nonsense lately.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:15 PM   #10
DeadlyNightshade
Plz...

portfolio
Martin Dahlin
Jr. Technical Artist
King
Stockholm, Sweden

You also have crappy unwrapping and UV layouting tools in Maya - so the best shot there is to get some plugins (such as Roadkill for unwrapping, or just Maya bonus tools) and scripts (such as my UV Editor)

Old 11-19-2012, 01:52 AM   #11
kachoudas
Frequenter

Thanks every one

What about the various scene management tools - sets, partitions, assets, assembly, character set etc. ?

Are they widely used ? which ones ? I have read somewhere that character sets were a problem, is that true ?

Old 11-19-2012, 08:34 AM   #12
DeadlyNightshade
Plz...

portfolio
Martin Dahlin
Jr. Technical Artist
King
Stockholm, Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by kachoudas
Thanks every one

What about the various scene management tools - sets, partitions, assets, assembly, character set etc. ?

Are they widely used ? which ones ? I have read somewhere that character sets were a problem, is that true ?

Afaik they are all widely used and very good to have.
Asset-management has been a bit funky though, which is why some ppl have scripted their own asset management -tools. Ninja Asset for example...

Even if you aren't into level design in Maya, I still think that things like quick select sets and character sets are useful for the "common artist/animator". Quick select sets are pretty much like save/load selections in Photoshop, and together with layers it covers all my needs when creating assets. I also use the note/annotation -tool a lot - it's great for passing along tiny messages to other artists who might end up working with your scene.

Last edited by DeadlyNightshade : 11-19-2012 at 11:41 AM.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:25 AM   #13
kachoudas
Frequenter

Thanks Martin !

Old 11-20-2012, 03:25 AM   #14
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread