Low-Poly Dynamic Fur

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2012   #1
Lightbulb Low-Poly Dynamic Fur

Hey Everyone,

Looking for any suggestions on how to achieve the dynamic effect I'll describe below.

I'm working on building characters for an animated project and currently I'm building a Elk, seen here:

I'm creating my project with a low-poly look/aesthetic while maintaining somewhat realistic dynamics and lighting. Currently, I'm trying to figure out a good way to add some fur to the mane/neck area of the Elk, and so far have been unsuccessful. Ideally I'd like the fur to have a low-poly look and feel, as opposed to the realistic look that Maya fur provides. Something like this:

Now this 'fur' is just extruded poly's from the base mesh, with the end vertices merged together to create 'hairs'.

Also, right now this guy looks like a statically charged balloon bomb went off under his face and there is absolutely no dynamic controls attached.

What I'd like to be able to do is control the fur much like Maya Fur in that the base vertices are locked/passive and the vertices on the very tips are dynamic/active. These vertices are the ones I need moving and responding to gravity and wind:

I need suggestions on how I can achieve the appearance of the 'fur' blowing in the wind as well as being pulled down by gravity. I guess it doesn't have to be truly dynamic to work, so long as it appears like its fur moving around due to natural forces.

My ideal setup would be to create a dynamic way of animating this, since the elk will be used in various scenes (windy weather, calm weather) doing various things (standing, running)

Thanks a ton in advance, and if it helps I'm providing the model file as well.
http://www.brettschnacky.com/elk/elk_v4.ma.zip

Thanks!!!

Brett

Web: www.brettschnacky.com
Vimeo: vimeo.com/brettschnacky

Old 11 November 2012   #2
First idea that comes to mind here would be a jiggle deformer, just paint a map so that the points that stick out have more influence from it and the base points less. Skin the mesh to the same joints as the main mesh first so that it follows along and drives the jiggle as it deforms.

Cheers,
Brian

Old 11 November 2012   #3
use maybe a feathers system, don't extrude. or use shave and a haircut, it supports geometry instancing.
for a low poly look I wouldn't bother with dynamics for fur, but then... I don't exactly know what you're looking for.

Old 11 November 2012   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread