Displacement Map on glossy rotating Globe, but there are some artifacts

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2012   #1
Unhappy Displacement Map on glossy rotating Globe, but there are some artifacts

Hi,
I wanted to make a globe for a news-TV-show and toughed a displacement-map would be the best sollution, but not only the rendertime is quite long(1/2h per frame on 3,2Ghz i7) and the surface of the displacemant-map-generated-continent-regions are kind of rough(you see it in the reflection). It also apears that there ist something like an artifact, when the edges are confronted with the camera:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2309788/SomeWorld0467.jpg
Maybe someone knows a better/faster solution or how to fix the problems.
Renderer: Mental Ray(settings: production)
Material: Blinn
Thank you!

Old 11 November 2012   #2
i think using mia material (or a mental ray blinn) instead of blinn may solve this. Reducing un-necessarily exceeded resolution of displacement map can reduce render time. Gradualy decrease resolution and continue until it looks bad.

Old 11 November 2012   #3
i tried a mia material but artifact is still there

Old 11 November 2012   #4
hmm that sounds confusing. I guess, converting the displacement to geometry may solve it.

Old 11 November 2012   #5
In this case its probably better to bake your displacement into geo, your rendertimes will be a million times faster and there will be no artifacts.

Create your displacemnt with something like this
http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/d...cement-deformer

then duplicate the object, and if the mesh is so heavy that you cant navigate, use a proxy instead.

Old 11 November 2012   #6
Thanks a lot for the hints, but i can't figure out how the iDisplace-Plugin can create sharp edges, this plugin is more for terrains, i think.

Last edited by mredlich : 11 November 2012 at 05:48 PM.

Old 11 November 2012   #7
mredlich

I'd go with a regular displacement mapping, but using Displacement Approximation also.
Always use approximation with displacements.

My two cents.

/risto

ps: of course you might want to do something (filter perhaps) your texture so that you'll get
rid of those jagged edges on color borders.

Old 11 November 2012   #8
after trying approximations, subdivisions, the iDisplace-Plugin I desperately tried to convert the displacement to polygon until I realized, that this funktion only works with blinn-materials -_-. Now the Rendertime is still very long, but at least the artifacts are gone.
Thanks

Last edited by mredlich : 11 November 2012 at 11:22 PM.

Old 11 November 2012   #9
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread