CGTalk > Software Specific Forums > Autodesk Maya
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 10-11-2012, 06:48 AM   #1
mettam
Frequenter
Justin Mettam

problem with the Skeleton/HumanIK tool and undo

I am using the Skeleton/HumanIK tool in Maya 2013. I start to position the joints to line up with the model. If I undo, expecting to undo just the last move it undoes everything and sets the skeleton back to its default position. Is this normal for this tool ? once you start positioning the skeleton you cant undo just one iteration ?

Has anyone else experience this, does anyone know what I may be doing wrong ?

Old 10-11-2012, 01:53 PM   #2
nbreslow
Interplanetary Traveller

portfolio
Nicholas Breslow
CG Generalist
New York, USA

In 2012 you needed to keep the Skeleton Generator window open while editing the whole time. Any edits would be lost if you closed/reopened the window. I am not sure if that is the case in 2013 (or if it will solve your undo situation) but I would make sure the window is open throughout the whole edit.

-N

Old 10-11-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
mettam
Frequenter
Justin Mettam

I don't think that's the problem because the Character window is open the whole time.
Boy I wish there was a solution to this because it's a pain in the ass, kind of makes it unusable for me.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:14 PM   #4
nbreslow
Interplanetary Traveller

portfolio
Nicholas Breslow
CG Generalist
New York, USA

2013 is a little funky as they combined all the HIK stuff into one window. I actually have the same undo issue as you if I try to do all of my skeleton edits with the Skeleton Tab active. Try this...

1) Create Skeleton, name it.
2) In Skeleton Tab set all of the properties for your skeleton (i.e. fingers, spine, etc.) but do not position it.
3) Switch to the Definition Tab and perform any repositioning by first selecting the joint to move directly in the little window with he green bones, then moving it in the viewport. Undo should work for you now. Don't worry about the validation status - once you mirror the changes it will go back to green.
Note - If you do a bunch of edits then switch back to the Skeleton Tab then you will lose those edits. To avoid this make sure you Edit\Skeleton\Save Edits first.
4) Be happy.

Undo works fine for me in 2012 in the Skeleton Generator but I seem to remember that originally it was broken and fixed in a patch. HIK is a bit odd with viewport selection so I would always use either the outliner or the character controls window. It is also flaky with the undo cue in certain situations as you have already found out.

-N

Last edited by nbreslow : 10-12-2012 at 03:43 PM.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:14 PM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread