Animation didnt save to maya file

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2012
Animation didnt save to maya file

In quite a dilemma at the moment in realising that the animation for my game character didnt somehow save. I had the walk cycle all completed but now when I open up the maya file the character is in a pose mid way through the walk cycle and all the frames are now gone. Is there a setting that perhaps needs checking as I am 110% sure I saved the file properly...

10 October 2012
The exact same thing happened to me today. I opened a scene, adjusted some nCloth attributes, saved the scene and cached out some geometry. Then after working on another scene I reopened the one I'd just saved to find all animation now missing. I restarted maya and attempted to reproduce the problem, since I still had the original copy, from before I adjusted the nCloth. But the 2nd time around it simply saved and reopened all intact.

This is maya 2013 sp1, where I'm noticing a lot of what I call "lazy evaluation". What I mean is, I'll open a scene and discover stuff (ik handles and constraints etc) that should have evaluated, but just hasn't, leaving things all out of wack. If I enter "dgdirty -a;" in the mel command line, then everything pops into its correct state. So, maybe the animation channels didn't save with the scene because they never got evaluated in that session. (Just a theory, I have no scientific proof). I remember one of the maya devs saying something about how in the recent releases they tried to optimize the way files load (speed them up) by not immediately evaluating the whole DAG. Its done on a needs basis. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to always know what you need. I would prefer to few extra seconds for the file to load, than have this kind of uncertainty.

David

10 October 2012
Seith, by any chance are you running a referenced scene? I've had a ton of comments on maya loosing animation on file load, mostly to do with a bug in the Maya asscii writer a while back. Might be worth taking a look at the bug section on my blog, see if thats what you's had here.

10 October 2012
Yes in my case, the rig was referenced, with animation in the master scene, so maybe it is that bug. Will check your blog. Thanks.

David

10 October 2012
I seem to recall this happening to somebody I work with and we trashed their prefs and it started to work properly again.. but then again I usually recommend trashing prefs at the slightest hint of trouble

10 October 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread