AUTODESK - Maya - MISLEADING INFORMATION!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2012
Dear Shawn,

It's been about 2 months from my first post regarding this issue.
Should we expect a solution in this from you or Autodesk directly as expected according to your feedback ?

Best Regards,
Tri

11 November 2012
Makes you wonder what the heck is going on at AD ......

Cheers!

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by TheRazorsEdge: Makes you wonder what the heck is going on at AD ......

Cheers!

Business as usual, I would say...

They could really learn from a developer like chaos group... you report a problem, it gets fixed and you get a new build within days, usually less than a week.

11 November 2012
The real difference, is that this feature is advertised from Maya 2012 SAP version as a product feature, and we are STILL waiting for a fix (hope not till eternity...)

11 November 2012
I don't see a difference from any other bug/error/problem. They release a given tool set and that's supposed to work, full stop. If something is broken it should be dealt with and corrected in reasonable time.

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by Tobbe: Business as usual, I would say...

They could really learn from a developer like chaos group... you report a problem, it gets fixed and you get a new build within days, usually less than a week.

Chaos' builds are like 60mb. I don't think AD could manage 2gb nightlies every night, especially since I can't recall them ever releasing a patch for Maya, it always seems to be full installs. I totally agree though. Chaos does it right and someone like Vlado does unbelievable amount of good work and interaction with the user base.

It sucks waiting for years to get a serious bug fixed with Maya and or little feedback besides the usual responses or the generous employees who take their time on this forum.

11 November 2012
Quote: I can't recall them ever releasing a patch for Maya

Hotfix4 for 2012 was the last update in the form of a patch (on Windows anyway).

It is a pain waiting for old bugs to be written out, even more so when fixed ones reappear

11 November 2012
Excuse me but this is not just a bug!
It's a complete MISSING feature, which was not only advertised but also massively promoted in a misleading way!

That should have been fixed, without even asking, asap!

Still waiting...

Last edited by tristratos : 11 November 2012 at 04:19 PM.

11 November 2012
hello,

we need this fix too!

11 November 2012
Is it just me, or does Bullet also still not support collisions on Mesh objects? Seems like only Hulls are still supported in 2013 SP2. Bullet is pretty awesome in that it beats the pants off Maya's traditional rigid body dynamics, so I'm really happy to see Autodesk integrating it, but please don't tell me this is going to be another half-baked integration with no further development.

11 November 2012
this is why there was no point to sell off maya to AD, max to date still has bugs every work around needs a work around did they really need to make 100 versions on max, no they could have taken customer feed back an built it up same with maya ever since they bought it it has been turned to to a patch work of band aids just like max and I.m sure xsi has it fair share of crashes

they don't make software they make patches and since they hold all 3 major players an have the money to take over companies they are going to continue to dilute the programs that were once useful.

And some one from AD will come on here saying they take every customer feed back seriously, how can any one fix the amount of stuff they have broken in a timely manner with out losing money. So im sure they rather have angry customers than fix all the problems that would cut into there bottom line

11 November 2012
I really wonder.. isn't misleading information as this one, a reason for one to SUE Autodesk for advertising their product intentionally, with NON existing features ?

If that is not supposed to be fraud to consumers, what is ?

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by tristratos: I really wonder.. isn't misleading information as this one, a reason for one to SUE Autodesk for advertising their product intentionally, with NON existing features ?

I totally agree with you but the legal situation is probably a bit more convoluted so there are gray areas which make it difficult to actually get a grip on them and which AD knowingly abuses to their hearts content. Just because something is legal, does not mean its just or right and just because something by common sense is fraud, doesn't mean it's illegal. The examples of such things are way too numerous in the business world to even start naming them.You can be 100% sure that the people in charge at AD know fully well what the can and what they cant get away with and where they can try to get away with something.

There's only one way out of the dilemma really, which is to stop giving them good money for a bad product.

The power is always in the hands of the consumer, which the latter rarely if ever makes good use of by very simply boycotting the "perpetrator's" products. For example, if people would avoid Monsanto products like the plague, the whole company would collapse or have to adapt/change to avoid that. But people don't do that! They are much too < your adjectives of choice here >. They prefer to be fed cheap crap that will make them sick in the short or long run and then blame someone else rather than taking responsibility for their own lives and health. It's so much easier that way, since they don't really have to start using those fabled brain cells for that mysterious concept/process called thinking/reasoning.

People are complacent and lazy by nature, that's why they chose to "adapt" to a series of small nuisances/inconveniences and don't even notice how far they are really being pushed to adapt before its too late rather than making a big change once and be rid of the issue completely.

Same goes for AD, if people where to stop buying new versions and ie stick to a stable version of Maya as a bare basis and extend it themselves in a user-base fashion with scripts and plugins, AD would have no other choice but to start trying to make them happy with fully functional products again in order to make some money. But that's not going to happen.

Personally, I'm pretty much done with AD and will at the very least let my subscription lapse and wait what happens for the next few versions before I decide to completely drop AD products in favor of ie LW, Modo, Houdini etc. The majority of the user base will undoubtedly continue to shell out good cash for bad product and hence directly support AD's behavior and tactics and all business will go an a usual ....

Cheers!

11 November 2012
Someone at AD messed up somewhere. But it's hardly fraud..

sheesh.

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by tristratos: I really wonder.. isn't misleading information as this one, a reason for one to SUE Autodesk for advertising their product intentionally, with NON existing features ?

If it bothers you that much, what are you waiting for? Go hire a solicitor and get the ball rolling.

Thread Closed share thread