The Best Way to UV

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2012
The Best Way to UV

So what does everyone prefer? I have trouble using maya in general for my UVing but havent messed with the bonus tools much. I have also messed around with Headus, Roadkill, Diamant, and a couple others. I like Headus for UVing character models, but UVing seems to be the hardest thing for me. What I am looking for is the best video you have seen that helped you the most with UVing. I have watched quite a few but it still doesn't quite click. I'd like to get better at UVing environments and props rather than characters.

Thanks in advance,

Josh

09 September 2012
i recommend to use headus uvlayout... best tool to do uvs out there...

09 September 2012
Headus is superb, but I've really only used it for organic shell flattening.

I'd like to know more about how to efficiently uv map buildings as well. I've read some prefer automatic mapping, which seems like a headache waiting to happen if you're painting your map outside of a sculpting app.

Of course you can reuse parts of your building geometry, and consequently uv space if your not using a lightmap.

Last edited by jgibz : 09 September 2012 at 09:55 PM.

09 September 2012
I've been messing with headus and it is very intuitive...i've found I like using headus to get the uv's mostly done then cleaning them up in maya (straightening them out for inorganic objects) So far so good

09 September 2012
I also prefer UV Layout over the rest as well. Although there is going to be some cool unwrapping tools in the Maya Bonus Tools 2013 hopefully coming out soon which might let me not have to go a thrid party app.

09 September 2012
Another vote for UV Layout. It also has tools for non-organic shells. if you hit the R key over a shell, it will proportionally unwrap it as a rectangle. And you can hit the I key to set straight edges.

09 September 2012
Another vote for Headus UVlayout. Although in saying that the UV tools in Maya are pretty good.

UVing isn't difficult. It's possibly a lack of good info on the fundamentals of UVing which is the reason most people find it hard.

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by earlyworm: Another vote for Headus UVlayout. Although in saying that the UV tools in Maya are pretty good.

UVing isn't difficult. It's possibly a lack of good info on the fundamentals of UVing which is the reason most people find it hard.

Agreed...I was given a 10 minute lecture one day when learning, and the teacher never really mentioned it again. Headus really does make life easier Unfold 3D is awesome too, but too expensive...

09 September 2012
Don't know about building exteriors so much, which can be as complex or simple as the geometry obviously, but Maya's internal tools are fine for arch/viz stuff generally. It took me awhile to learn it well enough to do custom interior tile-work for example - I even tried modeling each tile for awhile, but now it's butter. You kinda learn what works and what doesn't of course as you go. I've never had to use Mudbox for texturing buildings yet, anyway.

Sure it's still a lot of work, but only tedious because of my poor modeling habits. And its' almost... fun? after awhile.

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

09 September 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread