hang on... whats going on here maya?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2012   #1
hang on... whats going on here maya?

Just a bit of fun I discovered by accident. Still not sure if it is like this on purpose. I've only tried it in 2013 on windows, but you can try it for your self if you want...

Create some geo or whatever you like.
Save that scene, and remember where you saved it.
eg. x:/david/magickTrick/geo.mb
Now from the menu...
File|New Scene
Now in the mel command line import it from the wrong path...
file -i x:/this_is_magick/geo.mb

That command should have failed, but it didn't.

David

Old 09 September 2012   #2
I think we know where the Skynet AI originated from. That is so typical Maya.

Old 09 September 2012   #3
what's even funnier is that it works on OS X with the exact same code and we don't even have drive letters.

Old 09 September 2012   #4
Lol!

Old 09 September 2012   #5
looks like they are just doing a search compare for the file name in their recent paths list as a fallback.

Old 09 September 2012   #6
If only Maya could apply this amazing AI when it came to briding faces or filling holes or quadifying mesh.

Old 09 September 2012   #7
Originally Posted by Hamburger: If only Maya could apply this amazing AI when it came to briding faces or filling holes or quadifying mesh.

well its extremely easy to do a search for a matching string in an array, literally 1-2 lines of code. Not even in the same league as filling holes or quadifying lol.

Old 09 September 2012   #8
Haha I know, I know. Just having a whinge )

Old 09 September 2012   #9
Originally Posted by Hamburger: If only Maya could apply this amazing AI when it came to briding faces or filling holes or quadifying mesh.

If you triangulate before doing a quadrangulate you get fairly decent results - sometimes it makes funny splits though but I can live with that.

Old 09 September 2012   #10
On the subject of "hang on.." Has anybody noticed that a folder called "keyboard" sometimes gets created in random folders in the Maya project (and possibly other places..). I have no idea why or when this happens, but something to do with Maya 2103 I think...!

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105505

Old 09 September 2012   #11
Word from the dev team on this.... when you save a file in Maya it updates the current working directory and this cwd is on the Maya paths to resolve during file load which is why this works. I agree, it should fail straight off but the resolve code still finds the file in it's list of paths to search.

Mark

Old 09 September 2012   #12
Yeah I noticed the keyboard folder, i thought it was artists using some scripts lol. Kind of annoying, I hate when my file structure gets clutter in it.

Old 09 September 2012   #13
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread