Assigning textures to certain polygons..

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2012   #1
Question Assigning textures to certain polygons..

How can this be done? For example, if I'm making a simple building, the outside will be bricks but I want certain polygons to be windows so they would have a reflective texture on them.

For example, on Cinema4D, I would have to select all the window polygons, hit "set selection" then drag the texture on the object. I'd then make sure that in the area where the texture is assigned to would have the name of the polygon group selected so that it is only projected on those..

Old 09 September 2012   #2
Have those face selected, point your mouse over the material in hypershade, hold down your right mouse and choose assign to selection.

You can also create selection sets for those faces. Under create > sets. Or hold down right mouse button over the material and choose select objects with materials.

Keep in mind tho that assigning material to faces can cause weird problem or even scene crash, especially if you use render layers.

Old 09 September 2012   #3
Indeed. It's better to keep separate materials (bricks, glass, wood) as separate meshes entirely and assign one 'Shader Material' per mesh rather than per polygon face.

Old 09 September 2012   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread