UV matching question...

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2012   #1
UV matching question...

HI there....

Im making a boat and have several windows that Ive cut out into the side of it. I've unwrapped all the UVs and now obviously each window has its own individual UV shell. My problem is that I dont want to have to texture every window individually, so would like to overlap each windows UV shell into the same position.

Now... after unwrapping each windows shell they all have very slight differences - I could manually move and realign every U&V into the same position but this would take a very long time - is there any way I can somehow match them up? (Im guessing the answer is no)

Failing this, I was wondering if there was any way to lock a particular UV shell so that I could then overlay another on top of it and reposition its UVS?

Ive linked an image to illustrate

thanks a lot!!

Old 09 September 2012   #2
this has come up before, and although I don't remember the details regarding those times, I'm pretty sure there were solutions bandied and MEL scripts written. You could probably find something helpful if you do a search here (and in the programming sub-forum)

two rough ideas off the top of my head:
use the move UV shell tool and point-snap each shell together
separeate the faces of one window as a "master", delete all the other faces then just dupe and vertex-snap it.

Old 09 September 2012   #3
Extract the polygons composing the windows and use transfer attributes with uv sets enabled, to copy the uvs from one window to all the others. If you need to keep your vert order then duplicate your ship before you do this, then use transfer attr again to assign the new ship uvs to your original mesh.

Old 09 September 2012   #4
mmm.. thanks for those suggestions guys - will see if I have any luck and report back! may take me some time as Im new to this

Old 09 September 2012   #5
wow - that transfer attributes works like a dream! thanks a lot :-)

Old 09 September 2012   #6
slight little hitch - when applying the attributes from a window on one side of the ship to another, some of the textures seem to have stretches, even though the UVs look to be in the same place. Any ideas why this may be? Thought it was all a bit too smoothly :-)

thanks again

Old 09 September 2012   #7
although I guess I can just delete one side and duplicate the others across (thus dodging the problem :-) )

Old 09 September 2012   #8
The fact that the uvs are different for each window in the first place means that giving them all the same uvs are bound to create a bit of stretching/squishing.

Old 09 September 2012   #9
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread