CGTalk > Software Specific Forums > Autodesk Maya
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 09-14-2012, 01:01 AM   #1
rattletrap99
Frequenter
Tim Jones
Somewhere between Canada and Panama, USA

Maya 13 worth the upgrade from 8.5?

Most of what I do is just hobbyist stuff, but I occasionally take an industrial sim project. Since I upgraded my OS to Lion (Mac), I noticed that a couple of things that worked earlier don't work anymore.

Other than the obvious, is it worth the time and bux to upgrade to the latest version? A lot of the new features look very appealing, but I need to balance glitter with my wallet.

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts!

--Tim

Old 09-14-2012, 01:10 AM   #2
cgbeige
Expert

portfolio
Dave Girard
Opinions are mine. You can't have them.
San_Francisrococo, USA

Ya there has been quite a bit of stuff added since then. It is definitely with upgrading from 8.5. Is 8.5 even Intel-ready on OS X? For one thing, you'll get 64-bit on OS X with 2013

Last edited by cgbeige : 09-14-2012 at 01:12 AM.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:15 AM   #3
rattletrap99
Frequenter
Tim Jones
Somewhere between Canada and Panama, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgbeige
Ya there has been quite a bit of stuff added since then. It is definitely with upgrading from 8.5. Is 8.5 even Intel-ready on OS X? For one thing, you'll get 64-bit on OS X with 2013

I see references to 64-bit, but honestly don't know what it means. Speed increase? But yes, 8.5 seems to work fine on my MBP running OS 10.7.4, except a notice popped up last night saying Power PC was no longer supported. Render monitor, if I recall correctly. The sequence rendered OK, though.

Thanks!

Old 09-14-2012, 02:15 AM   #4
axiomatic
in process

portfolio
wil
happy
Beijing, China

GUI updates, Renderer updates (MR much faster) and big updates to the dynamics (nCloth, nParticles, fluids) are the biggest things for most people. I think you can get a free trial? If so then give it a go and see.
Critcal feedback example #62: "Well instead of the Stalinist purges and the divorce and the investigation ... it could be about losing a balloon."

Old 09-14-2012, 08:11 AM   #5
Hamburger
Expert
portfolio
Where is it?
Architectural Viz
Australia

Depends on what area you want to work with Maya, I think the only significant updates in terms of modelling would be the thicken extrude tool since 8.5. Also a few curve projection tools that don't work and also a new split polygon tool that doesn't work either.

But generally speaking it's improved quite a bit now. 2013 is super fast and one of the more stable Maya's than past versions, so it's a good time to upgrade.

Just a heads up though that the VP2 isn't all that its cracked up to be.........yet.

As someone else said, download the 2013 trial, you'll see after 30 days or not if it is worth it.

http://usa.autodesk.com/maya/trial/

Old 09-14-2012, 04:12 PM   #6
cgbeige
Expert

portfolio
Dave Girard
Opinions are mine. You can't have them.
San_Francisrococo, USA

64-bit lets you access more memory. If you work with large scenes, it's essential but if you're not crashing due to memory problems and your scenes are less complex, it might not be needed.

Just googled it and it seems 8.5 was the first to have Intel Mac support. Anyway, try the trial and do some reading on the newer features.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:28 PM   #7
mecos
Expert

portfolio
fernando zamora
architect/graphic designer
Oakland, United States

Send a message via AIM to mecos Send a message via MSN to mecos Send a message via Yahoo to mecos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamburger
Depends on what area you want to work with Maya, I think the only significant updates in terms of modelling would be the thicken extrude tool since 8.5
http://usa.autodesk.com/maya/trial/

where is this thicken extrude tool? i've always wondered if maya had something like it but i can't find it. unless i have found it and it doesn't do what i expect it to do?

Old 09-14-2012, 07:06 PM   #8
eikonoklastes
Green

portfolio
eikonoklastes
USA

If I recall correctly, render layers in 8.5 were fuc*ed up. They're stable now.

The extrude offset works like it should.

Marking menus were rendered almost useless with the new interface in 2011 (too laggy), but they fixed that now and they're snappy as ever.

Bunch of stuff thrown in like PhysX, DMM shatter and such.

The curve projection has always worked for me, although it is unintuitive to use.

The latest mental ray, whose features you can access with the wonderful integrated UI script floating around here somewhere.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:47 PM   #9
rasamaya
Time scavenger

portfolio
David Russell
Student for Life
3DSolutions/iAnimate.net
Winnipeg, Canada

If you are doing standard feature film level character animation, then 8.5 is fine. But you would already know that. No magic tools. A few extra new plugins available though.
Just my opinion, I do use 2012 for a ton of features, but extras like rendering with my vray license. 8.5 is still faster too.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:19 AM   #10
doffer
Keying everything

portfolio
Christoffer Andersen
Animator
Valence, France

did they fix the renderlayers in 2013? Because in 2012 it certainly was as buggy as it could be!

Old 09-18-2012, 12:09 PM   #11
kjaft
peanut junkie

portfolio
Felix Ulber
Developer / cgi Pro
[0x1] Software and Consulting
Hamburg, Germany

Send a message via ICQ to kjaft
I dunno which kinda bug you're talkin about, but the permanent error message on switching between renderlayers is finally gone.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:02 PM   #12
Stellios
cg junkie

portfolio
Michael poretti
Generalist
Pixomondo
Toronto, Canada

Yes, thats a big jump your looking at

Old 09-22-2012, 11:45 AM   #13
doffer
Keying everything

portfolio
Christoffer Andersen
Animator
Valence, France

I'm talking about the bug, where you lose your shading groups when you jump between layers.
Which AD did a mel script fix for in 2008/2009 ( which isn't really a fix, you run the script everytime it happens and it rebuilds the shading groups), but never bothered to actually fix the issue since then. We had that problem constantly on my last short. In maya 2012 :(

Sorry, don't mean to start a discussion of what troubles maya. Just read your post and saw a spark of light
Appologies...

Old 09-22-2012, 02:53 PM   #14
DuttyFoot
Expert

stephen curah
USA

The best thing is to download the trial. If there are benefits that will enhance your workflow then jumping from 8.5 to 2013 will be beneficial. If you take that long to upgrade what would autodesk charge you?

Last edited by DuttyFoot : 09-22-2012 at 02:55 PM.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:53 PM   #15
Aikiman
Pixel Collisions

portfolio
Jeremy Raven
Wellington, New Zealand

If 8.5 works for you, Id wait for 2014 instead. I think Maya will be going through some big changes in the next few years, it will be interesting to see how much they can do from now until their next release.

Thread Closed share thread