Uv's not exporting with .obj model

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2012
Uv's not exporting with .obj model

I've got an obj. It's completely mapped with UVs. They spread across multiple UV tiles. When I export it though, it doesn't seem to export the uvs. Even though I have all the obj export options checked.

See the attachment for my UV layout. Is it too big? Does it span too many tiles?
Any ideas? Please advise.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UVs.jpg (84.8 KB, 33 views)

09 September 2012
Do you have UV's and/or shells outside the 0->1 range?
That might be the problem.

Or are you using per-instanced UVs for instanced objects?

09 September 2012
I believe all my uvs are within the 0->1 range. But I'm not entirely certain what that means. Can you tell from the picture I attached?

Also I don't believe I have any instanced objects so probably no for that as well.

09 September 2012
The standard UV-range (0 to 1 U and V) is the first quadrant - the stuff north east of the origin. On the picture it looks like everything is within those boundaries.

Anyway, I don't think that would cause any problems - I was just throwing off guesses.
And I don't think your polycount is a problem either.

09 September 2012
uv tiles should export fine... i use them all the time...
but are you using more than one uv set..?
obj is only exporting the first set (map1) ...

09 September 2012
Ah!!! That again. I think I've had a problem with my UV sets before that caused another issue, so it's very possible.

Is there a quick and easy way to reset uv sets on all my geometries at the same time? I don't use them at all.

09 September 2012
It appears that 95% are using the "map1" set. Would the fact that a couple objects are using a different uv set make a difference? Or would just those objects not get uvs in the final obj export?

09 September 2012
Also, one more thing. When I export the obj and then import it into maya, it DOES have uvs. But when I merge all the geometries and export as an obj and try to open it in zbrush or mudbox it doesn't have any. What's the deal with that? Any ideas?

09 September 2012
If you only find 95% of the UVs then yea: they are probably on another set, or missing completely.

Open up the UV Set Editor (not texture editor), select map1 and click "Propagate".
Propagate will basicly find anything that's unmapped/missing from the UV set, and highlight all faces that have no UV coordinates at all in the selected set.

You could also download something I created - "Nightshade UV Set Editor":
http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/d...shade-uv-editor

I have integrated all the tools from the standard UV Set Editor into the UV Texture Editor - so it's all in one place. The propagate button also have autoproject on right click - so any faces you find with propagate you can quickly autoproject onto your UV set.

09 September 2012
That VU map looks insanely dense. What app are your exporting your OBJ to?

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by ShawnDriscoll: That VU map looks insanely dense. What app are your exporting your OBJ to?

I think he works in the film industry. I know that they sometimes use very large texture maps in that business so yea...

09 September 2012
Ok. I see that merging objects was mentioned. All bets are off then what the UV results will be. If you are trying to fit every piece of your model into a single UV map... don't.

09 September 2012
@ShawnDriscoll - I'm exporting to zbrush to beat up/weather my geometries and then lastly to Mari to add textures. I do work in the film industry. I had all of my UVs taking up only about 8 tiles but even with a 16000x16000 texture file for each texture, textures weren't high res enough so I greatly increased the size of my uv shells. I'm not trying to fit every piece of my model onto a single uv map. Thats why I split it up into tiles. So I can fit every piece of my model onto 30+ uv maps. As far as merging the objects, as I mentioned in an earlier post that still kept the UVs intact but they just don't seem to want to import into mudbox or zbrush. Very curious.

@DeadlyNightshade - Thanks for the script. Looks awesome. I'll try it out. Thanks for the info on the set editor too. I have little experience with UV sets.

09 September 2012
Have you tried doing a test export using just a few simple UV mapped objects with 2K maps that are merged, and see if they import ok?

09 September 2012
Although I'm not aware of any "upper limit" of the OBJ format, may I ask what specs you have on your scene/mesh? Amount of triangules and verts will do.

(you can see this under Display > Heads up display > Polycount)

Thread Closed share thread