Interactive auto keyframe

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2012
Interactive auto keyframe

Hi,

I am animating a character in the viewport using some controls. I would like to save the animation (keyframe) exactly at the rate that I animated it. The only thing that comes to mind is a job script timer event that keyframes the controls. Is there an already made / a better method?

Thanks

09 September 2012
recordAttr

This thread has the command that you are looking for.
I am sure you can bend it to your will:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=7&t=349675

09 September 2012
Coo.oo.ool!

Use the mouse as a capture device. A few pitfalls: The rotation units need to be radians, else it won't capture rotations. Also don't forget to delete old keys, since it only adds new ones.

playbackOptions -min 0 -max 400 -ps 1;
  string $curAngleUnits = `currentUnit -q -a`; // Get the current angle units
  currentUnit -a rad; // Temporary set to radians
  recordAttr -at "rotate" -at "translate"; // Set attributes to record
  play -record;
  currentUnit -a ($curAngleUnits); // Reset back to defaults

09 September 2012
Do you have this bug (maya 2013) while recording when clicking the outliner all the text in the outliner disappears but is still click-able?

09 September 2012
Also after opening another scene after a recording session would mostly crash maya.

But a major bug, which I can't seem to circumvent (except writing the whole damn thing from scratch which I don't have time for) is when recording a camera movement. It seems that someone with good intentions in autodesk wanted to save us some space and record only the changes, but in camera recording if there's a large distance between keyframes the camera would slowly float, interpolating small values.

Is there a way to tell maya to record any frame?

09 September 2012
I wrote my own version that saves each keyframe:

http://svn.code.sf.net/p/mymayaplug...record_mouse.py

Execute it with:

import record_mouse 
#reload(record_mouse) # reloading resets the global vars
  record_mouse.run(2000)

If anyone has suggestions how to improve it, I would welcome them. I still can't overcome the inherent problem when setting and expression and playing the time slider the outliner list disappears.

09 September 2012
It seems that my script work well only for the camera, and hides the gizmos for the objects.
Which means that only a mocap plugin might do the work, and it doesn't really worth the effort.
Maya is so lame!

09 September 2012
At least I wrote something that fixes the camera drift:

import record_mouse 
reload(record_mouse)
 record_mouse.fix_camera_drift()

10 October 2012
Could you advice me how to install your script? I tried running it and nothing happened.

10 October 2012
Sorry, it's not meant as an off-the-shelf script for the public, but more of a quick'n'dirty proof of concept for programmers. For example fix_camera_drift() looks for a (hard coded) camera named:

obj = 'cam_anim'

instead of querying the selection.

Nevertheless, I assume you are referring to the fix_camera_drift(). Set in your scene a camera named 'cam_anim'. Put my script in the script path, and set to a button my code above.
The function should be called with two parameters, and if the threshold isn't passed then nothing happens:

def fix_camera_drift(thresh=0.06, min_span=20):

The script overwrites key frames that are only a small perturbation of their previous (a smarter script should delete them altogether). A debug is written to the script editor.

Good luck...

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by zoharl: Coo.oo.ool!

Use the mouse as a capture device. A few pitfalls: The rotation units need to be radians, else it won't capture rotations. Also don't forget to delete old keys, since it only adds new ones.

recordAttr -at "rotate" -at "translate"; // Set attributes to record
   play -record;

recordAttr / play -record makes my Maya very unstable. I've tried 2012 and 2013 but both are crashing intermittently after running those commands. Have you had any similar problems? Not many people use this command which makes finding info very problematic.

Its very possible this issue pushes me to C4D which seems to handle mouse mocap very nicely.

01 January 2013
Yes, I get crashes here and there. And you should probably save the scene and restart maya after the recording. Also try to execute the two lines in two difference executions (also a garlic near the computer can't hurt...). But hey, else it wouldn't have been maya otherwise, right?

04 April 2013
Are there any plugins that I can use for mouse capture instead?

04 April 2013
Would you like to write one?

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by zoharl: Would you like me to write one?

YES! Thank you!! J/K

There are a lot of things I would like to do. Reality sets in.

I have verified that Maya 2009 also crashes with these commands. I can't find any such issues circa 2006 via Google.

I am trying workarounds. Like recording an alias to the transform, instead of the transform itself. Some other things come to mind.

Is this a memory leak? Any ideas at all? I've tried deleting the record nodes and deleting history.

Thread Closed share thread