Fracture and Demolition workflow

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2012   #1
Fracture and Demolition workflow

Maya 2013

hello guys ,there is a situation where i must use Maya bullet engine to the destruction of a building be destroyed by a plane.I need some idea and general workflows to accomplishing some great results.here are the main break down i need to have explained to me

-scene setup:In terms of modeling,how should the building be modeled to be fractured?I don’t want 3rd party plugins to do this,how can i break the models apart with Maya native tool.2013 mind you.

-using Maya bullet engine.

Old 09 September 2012   #2
Fractureing without plugins

can maya create fractures as in 3ds max?Without Plugings?

Old 09 September 2012   #3
Originally Posted by AbsorbentGhost: can maya create fractures as in 3ds max?Without Plugings?

if you've got plenty of time, you have poly tools. If you don't, use SOuP. Whilst it is still a little too Voronoi-ish for my taste and there is a little learning curve, it's absolutely brilliant for something free.

There are script-based polygon breakers on creativecrash but don't expect them to do miracles for larger scenes.

Last edited by berniebernie : 09 September 2012 at 01:09 PM.

Old 09 September 2012   #4
Originally Posted by AbsorbentGhost: can maya create fractures as in 3ds max?Without Plugings?

Fractures in max without plugins?

Can you explain that please?

Cheers.

Old 09 September 2012   #5
I was hoping for a boolean method or procutter tools

just anything i can use inside the native Maya kit,or learning a little scripting would do well if i can learn some.I really need to find Maya tools that can get the job done without some one else plugins.A script i can reverse engineer would be good.

Originally Posted by berniebernie: if you've got plenty of time, you have poly tools. If you don't, use SOuP. Whilst it is still a little too Voronoi-ish for my taste and there is a little learning curve, it's absolutely brilliant for something free.

There are script-based polygon breakers on creativecrash but don't expect them to do miracles for larger scenes.

Old 09 September 2012   #6
yes 3ds max has some great tools for cutting geometry

the native max program has great tools for breaking apart stuff.

Originally Posted by CerberusC: Fractures in max without plugins?

Can you explain that please?

Cheers.

Old 09 September 2012   #7
You could maybee use ncloth if the destruction isnt super complex.

example.

1. create a wall as its supposed to be modeled.

2. uv mapp it and texture it so it looks good.

3. model all the different pieces in the original geo and extract those faces so that they are a uniqe mesh. Make sure to make a duplicate of the wall before so u can use that before the destruction begins.

4. combine the different pieces and select the resulting mesh. then create ncloth on it.

5. go to the ncloth attributes on it and check use polygons shells and then turn up the rigidity.

6. try simulating something that hits the wall.

have a look at my blog if any step is unclear.

4. when all the pieces are done

Old 09 September 2012   #8
Or you could always install the free houdini version, use its voronoi fracture toolset (bitchin), and then export the whole thing as an obj (yes, oddly enough, houdini apprentice allows you to do that).
But that covers the pre-fracturing only. The rest is up to you.
To be honest though, these days, in the world of dynamic fracturing toolsets, prefractured sims look kinda bad.

Last edited by oktawu : 09 September 2012 at 03:11 PM.

Old 09 September 2012   #9
´´pull down it´´ free version has pretty great fracturing...plus its fun to use

Old 09 September 2012   #10
Apart from ProBooleans... i don't know what native fracture tools are you talking about, there is no other tool :P

In maya, inside dynamics you have the old Fracture tool, i don't know if there are more options.

Also if you have Maya2012 you have DMM wich is great.

I'm a max veteran, so i don't know if there are other options in maya for breaking stuff, but i'm sure max lacks a lot of tools for breaking stuff.

Cheers.

Originally Posted by AbsorbentGhost: the native max program has great tools for breaking apart stuff.

Old 09 September 2012   #11
I guess Maya 2012 had a DMM plugin installer for free. While it has limited functions for the free version, it might still be sufficient for the effect you're after.

EDIT: read the post above.

Old 09 September 2012   #12
lots to think of,max makes it easy ,but this job has to be done in maya

and without plugins.Then i have to look to scripting or something.The idea that no one can find a good way to fracture objects with inside native Maya tool set then there is a problem.I was looking a some awesome bullet physics that im looking into but firts fracturing is key.

Old 09 September 2012   #13
i use maya 2013

the DMM truly was great ,the think with Maya they are base on license programs,but when that is over they just move to something else liveing the customers in chaos.

please search for the video guys,here is what i want to replicate :

http://vimeo.com/39110818

Originally Posted by mustique: I guess Maya 2012 had a DMM plugin installer for free. While it has limited functions for the free version, it might still be sufficient for the effect you're after.

EDIT: read the post above.

Old 09 September 2012   #14
Pull down it ,plugin

let me get back to you after watching your blog.things there looks god ,now how can i do that with out plugin.

Originally Posted by Schempp: You could maybe use ncloth if the destruction isn't super complex.

example.

1. create a wall as its supposed to be modeled.

2. uv mapp it and texture it so it looks good.

3. model all the different pieces in the original geo and extract those faces so that they are a uniqe mesh. Make sure to make a duplicate of the wall before so u can use that before the destruction begins.

4. combine the different pieces and select the resulting mesh. then create ncloth on it.

5. go to the ncloth attributes on it and check use polygons shells and then turn up the rigidity.

6. try simulating something that hits the wall.

have a look at my blog if any step is unclear.

4. when all the pieces are done

Old 09 September 2012   #15
Oh, my bad. I must have missed that what you were after was the fracturing itself and not the simulation.

Well the fracturing in maya (shatter) is trula rubbish and will probably crash before u find it in the menu ...

Anyway might i ask why you dont want to use a plug do to the fracturing?

Thread Closed share thread