Ninja Asset (Free)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2012
Ninja Asset (Free)

I have released a new script on Creative Crash and need people to test it out.
It currently supports meshes, images, shader, videos, audio.

It has gone thru alot of changes so theres bound to be bugs.

Please report bugs on this thread.
Here is the link to the script
http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/d...t/c/ninja-asset

08 August 2012
I will test this out really good. We are in need of a tool that will house our shader library. We have separate libraries for metals, plastics, glass, car paints, fabrics, leather, rubber, etc. Thsi looks great. Will get back to you in a few days!!

08 August 2012
Ok great.

Quick Tutorial on exporting materials.
1. Select the object you want to export the materials from
2. In the shaders tab click on Export Shaders.
3. Click on Refresh Icons.

If you have an object with more than one material.. It will export all the materials.
If you only want one material exported you can select that in Hypershade and export it.

You can render the icon at different sizes. by default its at 600 x 600
Afer you render the icon you can double click it to see the full size image.

The Shader Export File will have an extension of .mat.
This is actually in the .ma format. It is just renamed for easier organizations of assets.

some know issues:
If you cancel out of a rendering, You will have to manually remove the Icon mesh from your scene. and clean up the hypershade.

08 August 2012
Awesome. One question: we are using VRay for Maya in our pipeline. Will VRay be used to render these thumbnails of the shaders? I clicked the export shader and immediately mentalRay started rendering the object.

08 August 2012
unfotunantly i dont have a copy of vray to test.
It will use mental ray to render the icon but i am guessing the material data is exported correctly?
Are the renderings coming out ok?

08 August 2012
This looks neat!
I'll give it a shot and let you know.

Thanks a lot.

Cheers!

08 August 2012
Just what everyone's been wanting! Ninja stuff in Maya rocks, I'll be testing this one out this week at work and see how the shader libraries work and stuff. Thanks for sharing.

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

08 August 2012
V-Ray suppport

I added V-Ray rendering to the shaders.
There is now a settings rollout where you can set the renderer to V-Ray

It has been updated on Creative Crash

08 August 2012
I was unable to get this script to work, most likely due to my own ineptitude. Using Maya 2012 still here, my experience so far:

1. The file address box - unable to scroll left or right, even with the cursors. I could see part of the directory tree but never access more text than the box showed initially. Clicking "browse by project" (I think?) let me to the project's directory, but the box itself wouldn't show the final directory, only the middle of this address which was many folders away, likely. Clicking in the box and pressing "End" or "Home" did nothing, and I could not navigate along the directory name at all.

2. Exporting shaders - I opened a simple scene with just a tree, it has two shaders. One for the leaves, one for the bark and branches. Selecting a shader in HyperShade and clicking "Export Shader" opened a rendering window, Ninja named, and that's it. I'm not sure where or if anything was exported, but nothing was visibly rendered, and nothing showed up in the project directory itself as specified in #1, which was the only folder I could actually navigate to. I tried it with a blank scene as well.

What am I doing wrong?

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

08 August 2012
One feature that I think would be really nice is a good and proper object replacement tool in this asset manager. Maya already has one but it stinks. Freeze transforms on an object and it can't be replaced. So a colleague of mine said: "why can't that be solved with locators storing the transformation values?".

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by InfernalDarkness: I was unable to get this script to work, most likely due to my own ineptitude. Using Maya 2012 still here, my experience so far:

1. The file address box - unable to scroll left or right, even with the cursors. I could see part of the directory tree but never access more text than the box showed initially. Clicking "browse by project" (I think?) let me to the project's directory, but the box itself wouldn't show the final directory, only the middle of this address which was many folders away, likely. Clicking in the box and pressing "End" or "Home" did nothing, and I could not navigate along the directory name at all.

2. Exporting shaders - I opened a simple scene with just a tree, it has two shaders. One for the leaves, one for the bark and branches. Selecting a shader in HyperShade and clicking "Export Shader" opened a rendering window, Ninja named, and that's it. I'm not sure where or if anything was exported, but nothing was visibly rendered, and nothing showed up in the project directory itself as specified in #1, which was the only folder I could actually navigate to. I tried it with a blank scene as well.

What am I doing wrong?

1. I will look into why you cant scroll in this textfield

2. It looks like some updates to the shader export has broken when you have a shader selected.
It will work if you have an object selected. Just select the object and click export shader.

Edit: So i fixed the scrolling in the textfield of the directory. I forgot the change the width of that UI element since i updated the UI layout.
Its been updated on creative crash

I have also fixed the Export Shader when you have a shader selected instead of a mesh

Last edited by bk3d : 08 August 2012 at 04:48 PM.

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by DeadlyNightshade: One feature that I think would be really nice is a good and proper object replacement tool in this asset manager. Maya already has one but it stinks. Freeze transforms on an object and it can't be replaced. So a colleague of mine said: "why can't that be solved with locators storing the transformation values?".

The Ninja Asseet does have an object replace feature. If you right click an icon in the mesh tab you can either import and place at selection. Or import and replace at selection. This is based on world space so you can have an objects transform frozen.

I do have a much better object replace in the Ninja Mesh. It is also based off of world space instead of transforms.

I agree the replace in maya is kinda useless if you have frozen the transforms. They really should have an option of world space location in there.

09 September 2012
Hi bk3d. There's a feature from sunday pipeline regarding thumbnails that I think is really nice. That script gave us 3 buttons, grab viewport, grab render view and one another I can't recall.

I'm not sure how grab viewport was done (maybe playblast) but the grab render view was really neat. It would take whatever picture we have in our render view and create thumbnails directly from it without doing rendering. So we're free to render our image in anyway we want.

Would be cool if you can replicate that workflow

09 September 2012
for meshes you can render whatever is in your persp view. if you have the scene open you can either click render scene icon or right click on the file icon and click render icon

for shaders it will render out the shader mesh. and the same with video..

Thread Closed share thread