CGTalk > Software Specific Forums > Autodesk Maya
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 08-06-2012, 08:09 AM   #1
DeadlyNightshade
Plz...

portfolio
Martin Dahlin
Jr. Technical Artist
King
Stockholm, Sweden

Roadkill UV unwrap for Maya 2011, 2012 and 2013

I have a big issue:
I'm in love with this oldskool unwrapper called Roadkill UV. It has two features that I really like:
-A fast, simple unwrapper with algoritms for both organic and hard-surface models
-A stretch shader

It's available at pullin-shapes: http://www.pullin-shapes.co.uk/page8.htm and on various torrent sites (pirated). Considering that it's abandonware (no longer developed - forgotten and left behind) there is no issues with copyright anylonger.

My problem is that Roadkill does not work for Maya 2011 and beyond: at least not the plugin inside Maya: the stand alone module still work.

I could still UV-unwrap outside of Maya ofc, but that stretch shader is invaluable.
My question is if there is any smooth way of just converting an old plugin to fit a newer version of Maya. I'm no coder so I know I can't decompile and recompile the plugin mll (dll file) - I've already tried that and didn't understand a thing.

The alternative would be to get another unwrapper and stretch shader. Now there are tons of different unwrappers but I've NEVER seen a stand-alone stretch shader ANYWHERE. Are they so damn hard to code?

Old 08-06-2012, 12:26 PM   #2
djx
Where's my pony?

David Johnson
vfx & creature td
Melbourne, Australia

Have a look at blender.

David

Old 08-06-2012, 12:28 PM   #3
DeadlyNightshade
Plz...

portfolio
Martin Dahlin
Jr. Technical Artist
King
Stockholm, Sweden

I don't want Blender, Max or any third party unwrapper unless the latter is a fully integrated Maya plugin that's easy to use. The reason I like Roadkill so much is because it's smooth and easy. Cut, Sew, Hit unwrap button, done. Apply stretch shader, fix problem, unwrap, Rinse and repeat.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:03 PM   #4
uncle_frankie
Frequenter

Francis Obrien
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlyNightshade
It's available at pullin-shapes: http://www.pullin-shapes.co.uk/page8.htm and on various torrent sites (pirated). Considering that it's abandonware (no longer developed - forgotten and left behind) there is no issues with copyright anylonger.?

It's licensed under the GPL. Just find a friendly programmer to update the MEL launcher scripts.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:30 PM   #5
DeadlyNightshade
Plz...

portfolio
Martin Dahlin
Jr. Technical Artist
King
Stockholm, Sweden

The version on his website is the standalone version - not the Maya plugin (which is only available on torrent sites afaik under the name "RoadkillL Pro V1.03 For Maya".
The in-Maya plugin on that website is just a fancy OBJ-exporter/importer: the unwrapping takes place outside of Maya and there is no stretch shader - so it's not the real deal.

Official website: www.roadkillpro.com (dead blank page)
Official mail: support@roadkillpro.com

Old 08-06-2012, 04:45 PM   #6
bk3d
Know-it-All

portfolio
brian keffer
Environment Artist
Sanzaru
fremont, USA

Send a message via Yahoo to bk3d

Old 06-17-2013, 04:44 PM   #7
knight9
Animator

RoadKill is still working fine in maya 2013.

a.- Only Install the file "RoadKill Install", included in the winrar.
b.- Now copy the file "roadKill.mel" to script directory on your path "my documents...etc. etc of Maya version XX"
c.- From the scripts editor load the mel script and write: " RoadKill; " (save this last in the "shelf" for quicly access"
d.- Select an polygonal object and ready...

Sorry for my english... roadkill is still working fine for me

Old 06-17-2013, 04:58 PM   #8
knight9
Animator

a.- Install the file "RoadKill Install", included in the winrar.
b.- Now copy the file "roadKill.mel" to script directory on your path "my documents...etc. etc of Maya version XX"
c.- From the scripts editor load the mel script and write: " RoadKill; " (save this last in the "shelf" for quicly access"
d.- Select an polygonal object and ready...

Sorry for my english... roadkill is still working fine for me

Old 06-18-2013, 04:28 AM   #9
refract
Lord of the posts

portfolio
John John
Character modeling, Lighting, Compositing
Work
Los Angeles, United States

Send a message via ICQ to refract Send a message via AIM to refract Send a message via MSN to refract Send a message via Yahoo to refract
Yeah, it works for me in Maya 2012 sap 64 bit fine. The only problem is when running it from Maya it will trash any current uv's when its sent to Roadkill. Not a huge problem, since Roadkill is so fast to work with anyway... just an fyi.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:31 AM   #10
earlyworm
car unenthusiast

Will Earl
craftsperson
Grizzly Country, Canada

The UV Smooth Tool within Maya does a pretty excellent job of unwrapping UVs. It doesn't have the ability to preview compression/stretching (which is nice), but a shader with a checkerboard on it is just as good.

I use a combination of UVlayout and Maya's internal UV tools - Maya for cutting seams, UVLayout for flattening and then Maya again for fine-tuning and layout. But I'm quite happy to make do with just Maya if need be.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:53 AM   #11
McBradd
Environment Artist
Bradd McBrearty
3D Artist
JetSetGames.net
Las Vegas, USA

Send a message via AIM to McBradd Send a message via MSN to McBradd Send a message via Yahoo to McBradd
Still looking for an answer for Roadkill PRO

BEFORE TRYING TO ANSWER, PLEASE READ WHAT THE OP IS ASKING
(Because I've wanted an answer to this since 2011)

Roadkill Pro is completely different than the standalone Roadkill.
The questions is not how to get the Mel Script to push your model to the stand alone working.

First, does anyone know of a good UV Stretch shader? Roadkill pro came with one that showed the polys with little distortion in green, with compression in blue, and with stretch in red. It is basically amazing.

Second, the actual Roadkill Pro Unwrapping system updated the unwrap in realtime, giving you an optimized UV layout every time you cut or stitched a seam, right in Maya's UV Editor.

It worked invisibly in the background. With the Stretch Shader, and hot keys for Roadkill Cut and Roadkill Sew you could quickly create UV Shells that were optimized for painting without even needing the UV editor open for anything other than final UV packing.

So, in short:
In a studio environment using a MAYA PIPELINE, what is the best/closest thing to what I've mentioned above?

(Wrong Answers include: Stand Alone programs such as UVLayout, A different software package such as Blender or Modo, and other unrwappers that lack the core functionality outlined above including NinjaUV and CAS Auto UV)

Old 02-28-2014, 01:53 AM   #12
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread