Maya DirectX11 Technology Viewport

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2012
Take note, the last screenshot has a staggering 1.5 FPS

http://coldsidedigital.tumblr.com - 3ds Max Blog

08 August 2012
Take note, it's a Technology Preview, not a finished product

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by VanDerGoes: It is very nice, but I hope that it also would accurately preview mental ray's settings. Will viewport 2.0 be tonemapped according to mia exposure's settings? Will lights with raytrace shadows checked cast shadows in the viewport (i don't want to have realtime raytracing of course but it would be nice to see a shadow map representation of a raytrace shadows in realtime)?

A fast preview renderer like Modo's or something along Spraytrace IPR or a decent iRay implementation would be much more helpfull if you want to evaluate your scene or do lookdevelopment with MentalRay. DirectX11 / openGL viewports is for game development and previs crowd maybe.

Why ADSK choose DirectX instead of openGL is still a mysery to me. Especially since Mudbox has a much better openGL viewport renderer already. Maya is multiplatform. That's why they rewrote the UI with Qt...

I have the feeling that ADSK will make an aquisition one day and that all the work they did since the anouncement of viewport2.0 will become trashworthy.

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by mustique: Why ADSK choose DirectX instead of openGL is still a mysery to me. Especially since Mudbox has a much better openGL viewport renderer already. Maya is multiplatform. That's why they rewrote the UI with Qt...

My sentiments exactly. I can't get excited about this at all until it becomes available to all paying customers. Not just the Windows contingent. We really don't need this sort of fragmentation. Very strange choice.

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by coldside-digital: Take note, the last screenshot has a staggering 1.5 FPS

if you dont rotate the viewport 2.0 its not showing the full fps..

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by mustique: Why ADSK choose DirectX instead of openGL is still a mysery to me.

I don't have the answer as to why, but perhaps, because a lot of game customers NEED to see their work in DirectX. Re-use their HLSL shaders and plug their DX setup into Maya regardless of what OpenGL can or cannot do.

It is not that Maya is suddenly only DirectX. So it wasn't a choice between DX or OpenGL.
Just that the DirectX pipeline got some love.

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by coldside-digital: Take note, the last screenshot has a staggering 1.5 FPS

The FPS in that screenshot is in-correct.

08 August 2012
So, it looks like we have a new SAP.
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servle...112&id=15500357

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by Samuka3000: So, it looks like we have a new SAP.
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servle...112&id=15500357

Windows only .............

Originally Posted by doffer: Take note, it's a Technology Preview, not a finished product

Tanke note, that Maya sometimes feels "not finished"

Blog

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by THExDUKE: Windows only .............

The DX11 part is yes, which is lame. But the Scene Assemblies are multi platform.

Originally Posted by THExDUKE: Tanke note, that Maya sometimes feels "not finished"

What 3D application does.

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by THExDUKE: Windows only .............

Tanke note, that Maya sometimes feels "not finished"

Yes, DirectX is a Windows only feature. What's your point?

@Dutch: I don't see how that's lame on Autodesk's part. DirectX is a Windows/Xbox only API. Nothing Autodesk can do about that. No reason to spite them for implementing a feature that the majority game development users will benefit from.

Last edited by Kakkoii : 08 August 2012 at 08:12 AM.

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by doffer: Take note, it's a Technology Preview, not a finished product

Now not just a Technology Preview.

http://coldsidedigital.tumblr.com - 3ds Max Blog

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by DutchDimension: The DX11 part is yes, which is lame. But the Scene Assemblies are multi platform.

What 3D application does.

Touché

Originally Posted by Kakkoii: Yes, DirectX is a Windows only feature. What's your point?

That this feature is only available for the Windows users?

Blog

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by Kakkoii: @Dutch: I don't see how that's lame on Autodesk's part. DirectX is a Windows/Xbox only API. Nothing Autodesk can do about that. No reason to spite them for implementing a feature that the majority game development users will benefit from.

I find it lame in the sense that they could have opted to work on many, many other things that aren't platform specific. Finish VP2.0 for example, before starting on yet another offspring project. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

08 August 2012
This looks brilliant! Will be nice to get clearer changes from editing my maps without having to rerender every time

Thread Closed share thread