Combining UV Shells

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2012
Combining UV Shells

So I am finished with UV mapping a character and I am using the Layout tool under UV texture editor > Polygons > Layout. When I use this tool it does what I want except it breaks apart some UVs shells that I would like to keep in a group with some other related shells. I had to separate some UVs from some of the more complicated meshes and I have them off to the side of their parent UV meshes. I would like to use the Layout command to layout the UVs properly but keep the child UV shells 'combined' with the parent shells so they will move together when using the Layout tool. Is there a way to 'Combine' separate UV shells into a single shell as you would with regular geometry?

07 July 2012
I think I get exactly what you mean but no, unfortunately, there is no mechanism in Maya (afaik!) to "group" or "link" separate UV shells together. Although it's quite an interesting idea...

07 July 2012
A feature like this is something I've been looking for in 3D software for a long, long time. Lock user defined groups of UV islands, so they stick together even after automatic unwrap or layout is applied. This, plus an ability to add text captions to exported UV snapshots. It would really cut down on constant switching between 2d and 3d apps during texture painting, in order to check which bloody part of the model this particular UV island represents.

07 July 2012
The only way I can think of doing this using the current Maya toolset would be to use selection sets to group together uv shells. The only difficulty in using this method is that you'd have to come up with your own mel/python script which does the layout of the UVs. You'd start by looping through the selection sets and then move on to laying out each non-grouped uv shell.

07 July 2012
Originally Posted by Zaru: A feature like this is something I've been looking for in 3D software for a long, long time. Lock user defined groups of UV islands, so they stick together even after automatic unwrap or layout is applied. This, plus an ability to add text captions to exported UV snapshots. It would really cut down on constant switching between 2d and 3d apps during texture painting, in order to check which bloody part of the model this particular UV island represents.

lol so I guess Im not crazy :P

07 July 2012
I actually made a UV packing function from scratch to do what you're talking about
My list of things I wanted to get out of it.
1. pack UV shells effienctly & intuativly with suffienct user control - mostly done
--todo: expose tolerance variable as user options
2. recognize similar or previously stacked or organized shells, preserver their relation when packing - done, but need more user control
--todo: provide gui for user defined sets, currently just auto recognized shells of similar area, bound size, and position,
--maybe all ways use the the 'sets' method, but give make function to auto populate the sets through auto recognition?
3. make better use of concave shell space - done, can pack in doughnut holes
4. pack selected shells into existing layout in unit space - done
5. pack selected shells in place - N/A?
TODO:
-6. adjust layout so shells to meet min gutter
-7. grow shells for most coverage in existing layout
-8. consider shared edges in shell placement
-9. optionally break inefficent shells into more efficient parts
-10. if auto orienting, find V tan world up, then find closest smallest bound, consider shared edges in shell orientation

07 July 2012
Originally Posted by palohman: I actually made a UV packing function from scratch to do what you're talking about
1. pack UV shells effienctly & intuativly with suffienct user control - mostly done
2. recognize similar or previously stacked or organized shells, preserver their relation when packing - done, but need more user control
--todo: provide gui for user defined sets, currently just auto recognized shells of similar area, bound size, and position,
--maybe all ways use the the 'sets' method, but give make function to auto populate the sets through auto recognition?
TODO:
-10. if auto orienting, find V tan world up, then find closest smallest bound, consider shared edges in shell orientation
That sounds pretty useful but I just don't have money at the moment and I prefer to not give out my credit card :P

Last edited by galacticmuffin : 07 July 2012 at 02:35 PM.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by palohman: I actually made a UV packing function from scratch to do what you're talking about
TODO:

Not sure if you will ever come back and check this thread out, but, is this tool available anywhere. I could definitely use this right now.. haha.

04 April 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread