Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  
Old 06-11-2012, 04:50 PM   #1
Lord of the posts
Juan Gea
Bone-Studio Founder & Director
How can i change one parameter in multiple objects - nCloth

I'm new to Maya, so i'm studying it.

I have a sphere broken in severla pieces, and i want to use them as nCloth, up to there is ok, now, i want to load the "Concrete" preset in all of them.

How can i do that?

If there's no spoon you must eat the soup with your hands, don't let the tool be your life, be an artist.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:40 PM   #2
Think different
Dutch Dimension
DMP/Environment Artist
United Kingdom
Originally Posted by CerberusC

I'm new to Maya, so i'm studying it.

I have a sphere broken in severla pieces, and i want to use them as nCloth, up to there is ok, now, i want to load the "Concrete" preset in all of them.

How can i do that?

I'm pretty sure you can't set presets with this, but for future reference, look into the Attribute Spreadsheet Editor for changing attributes on multiple nodes at the same time. It's extremely useful.
"Even the Christmas vacation will be darkened by New Zealand scripts…"
~ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter 34
Old 06-12-2012, 01:32 PM   #3
Parv Verma
Delhi, India
Hi, Juan!
I'm not very good with nCloth but I'm gonna try...
The Use Polygon Shells check box under the Dynamic Properties section will be of your help here.
You can combine all the pieces into an single mesh and simulate which will create only one nClothShape node, instead of having separate objects which will create an nClothSshape node of each piece.

If you have all the broken pieces combined into one mesh, then applying the concrete preset will cause them to simulate as a single piece of geometry at first. That is because the Rigidity and Deform Resistence is set to 4 and 6 respectively. even a value of 0.2 in Rigidity will cause it to simulate as one object.
Like this:

Setting the Rigidity and Deform Resistance to 0 will simulate the breaking of the sphere into individual pieces but will cause them to behave like cloth (or cause dents) especially in the areas of high number of polygons (because rigidity is set to 0).
Like this:

So you have three options (I mean the ones that I know of):

• If you are using maya 2012, then under the Dynamics properties section there is a check box for Use Polygon Shells. Checking that on will cause the geo to break apart even if the rigidity is set to 4. But increase Substeps and Max Collision Iterations in the Nucleus node tab because it might cause interpenetrations:
Low Substeps and Max Collision Iterations:

Increased Substeps to 5 and Max Collision Iterations to 20. No interpenetrations:

• Turn off Use Polygon Shells, Set rigidity to 0 and increase Bend Resistance, Compression Resistance and Stretch Resistance to get a rigid look.
  • Use the best of both worlds: turn on Use Polygon Shells and set rigidity to 1 and increase Bend Resistance, Compression Resistance and Stretch Resistance.

I hope it helps!

Here's the scene file of you wanna take a look. I changed the Self Collision Flag to Full Surface and reduced the value Self Collision Thickness.
Attached Files
File Type: zip (117.1 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Parv : 06-12-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:47 AM   #4
Martin Birk-Møller
københavn, Denmark
@Parv Great post, it really helped me out !
Hope is the first step towards disappointment
Old 02-19-2013, 06:47 AM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
Thread Closed share thread