Maya Replicators

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2012
Maya Replicators

Hi, recently I found out that modo have a interesting tool called "Replicators" but I was wondering is there any similar tool in Maya? or is there any Technic to do that? Thank you.

03 March 2012
From what I saw, basically replicator is just their term for making Instances that have their own scale/transform nodes. So you can key-frame and change the size of an instanced object..correct?

This is done automatically when you make an Instance in Maya.
Edit>Duplicate Special (set to instance in its options)

The only time instances don't have that control, is when you are replacing particles with instances, because then it's the particles themselves controlling the size/position.

And there are some tools you can Google around for that will allow you to paint instances onto surfaces and/or randomize their distribution/scale.

Like this one:
http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/d...isc/c/sppaint3d

And I believe some people recommend another, but I forget what it's called.

edit: And I noticed Replicators have options for randomization of their properties. You can do this in Maya too, merely through Expressions, on just about any property on anything in Maya.

Example: Right click on an attribute for something like a cube, and Create Expression. Then input: pCube1.rotateX = rand(1,360);
Which tells Maya to randomly set the X rotation to a value between 1 and 360.

Although I believe there are scripts that can do this for instances/objects, even the one I posted somewhat.

Last edited by Kakkoii : 03 March 2012 at 10:35 AM.

03 March 2012
Actually replicators in Modo are much more powerful then anything you can do with Maya out of the box and you don't need to do any scripts expressions etc..

You can use all sorts of things as sources and the replicator system is tied in tightly with the shading/rendering system...

03 March 2012
Oh okay! thank you so much.

04 April 2012
just one more quick question:
I've downloaded the plugin spPaint3d 2011.1 as given above but i not sure how to install it.

Close Maya.
If applicable, delete the files from an earlier spPaint3d version (both .py and .pyc files of this script may need to be removed).
Unzip the script in the appropriate user Maya folder.
Make sure the script files go to the script folder, the icons should go to the prefs/icons folder.
The help folder is not used at runtime and can be anywhere, if there at all.
Make sure the PYTHONPATH environment variable is set properly in the maya.env file or the script may not run properly. Maya 2008 has been reported to have a faulty default path for python.
Restart Maya.
Execute the script by typing "spPaint3d" in the MEL script editor command line.

For future use, the same command can be put into a shelf as is.

what does it mean by PYTHONPATH environment variable is set properly in the maya.env file?

I also notice that modo replicators they used boxes to simulate the mesh so that it won't lag the scene. is the plugin do the same thing?

Thank you.

04 April 2012
Well, it says that in some Maya 2008 installs, that Python variable isn't set correctly, and needs to be manually fixed. So unless you're using 2008, there shouldn't be a problem.

And I don't think spPaint itself has a setting for that. But what you do is, create the low poly, or poly cube that you want to use for placement. And in that object's attributes, go down to the mentalray section. There you can assign a render proxy to the object, which will tell mentalray to render that proxy object instead of this current one, at render time.

To make a proxy object, just select the object you want to use and go File>Export (options), set it to mentalray, and change "Export selection output" to Render Proxy.

04 April 2012
Yeah the modo replicator system lets you scatter literally millions of objects in your scene. And you can modify many attributes and even use painted textures to change that way the replicated objects are scattered.

I think maya's node architecture is actually problematic for this type of effect. I haven't found any plugins or scripts that are as powerful as the modo replicator system. For something similar you'd have to use max and multiscatter.

04 April 2012
Omg, thank you guys! that's really helps solving my issue. Thanks for your time and efforts. I really appreciated it.

04 April 2012
Quote: Yeah the modo replicator system lets you scatter literally millions of objects in your scene. And you can modify many attributes and even use painted textures to change that way the replicated objects are scattered.

You can do all of this stuff with various Maya scripts (spPaint3d, scScatter, etc.) but Maya sure has a rough time with instancing and replication "out of the box". The dependency graph being single-threaded only, it's really quite tedious to get good results. Max's scatter, Vue's scatter, and most other ones are much better at this so it's no surprise that Modo is also ahead of the curve in this area.

I could be mistaken but until Maya's dependency graph gets an overhaul or something else internal, working with more than a few thousand complex objects will be really obnoxious. While possible, it's a lot of work and you will make many mistakes/rebuilds of your scene along the way. There's always mibinaryproxy (has limitations) and assemblies (other limitations), but the sheer tedium for all this stuff is just out of hand. Nowhere near "artist friendly" the way most other applications approach this stuff.

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by InfernalDarkness: You can do all of this stuff with various Maya scripts (spPaint3d, scScatter, etc.) but Maya sure has a rough time with instancing and replication "out of the box". The dependency graph being single-threaded only, it's really quite tedious to get good results. Max's scatter, Vue's scatter, and most other ones are much better at this so it's no surprise that Modo is also ahead of the curve in this area.

I could be mistaken but until Maya's dependency graph gets an overhaul or something else internal, working with more than a few thousand complex objects will be really obnoxious. While possible, it's a lot of work and you will make many mistakes/rebuilds of your scene along the way. There's always mibinaryproxy (has limitations) and assemblies (other limitations), but the sheer tedium for all this stuff is just out of hand. Nowhere near "artist friendly" the way most other applications approach this stuff.

So this is why Maya has problems instancing more than a few thousand objects? Interesting.

03 March 2013
I've had no problem instancing millions. It just depends on what you're trying to do.

03 March 2013
Maya doesn't have anything that comes close to the power or user friendliness of replicators in modo. I have tried pretty much every scatter script I can find for maya that is out there.

03 March 2013
Quote: Maya doesn't have anything that comes close to the power or user friendliness of replicators in modo. I have tried pretty much every scatter script I can find for maya that is out there.

Sadly, this is very true for me as well. I'm about ready to just dive into Python and write something myself, although I've never done anything nearly so ambitious. Modo does seem more and more attractive for certain applications though, for sure!

03 March 2013
Yea man if you are doing arch viz modeling with maya just switch to modo, you will get stuff done in half the time if not more. It is ridiculously intuitive and fast to model in it.

I also love how easy it is to add texture variations to your scatters, check out the tree leaves example at the end of this video:

http://sabpro.box.com/s/343tkjfwdn274eac8zfh

Last edited by SheepFactory : 03 March 2013 at 06:13 PM.

03 March 2013
I wouldn't be using Modo or any other 3D package for my arch/viz work except Rhino. Maya is just my rendering package for work, and it has features that none of the other applications come close to for my work. Sure, it could be done in Modo, but not on the timelines and with the complexity I need... I've tried Max, Modo, and even Vray for Rhino for my custom remodeling work, and Maya is the only one flexible enough to handle my ridiculously short deadlines and massive option-sets as well. That said, I am much more proficient with Maya too, which is always a factor.

I am loving the concept of Modo however for my artwork, and there's no reason not to use it in conjunction with Maya. Perhaps this spring after the Autodesk bill's covered I can delve into it further!

Thread Closed share thread