Maya 2012 Service Pack 2

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2012   #61
@Shawn: I meant that the comma now works in the channel box. the dot still does not work in the color chooser. just so you know. this issue is still there.

Old 01 January 2012   #62
Originally Posted by BoostAbuse: Did you install SP2 or SP1 for SAP? If you had Alembic you probably had SAP installed and will need SAP SP1 not SP2 as SP2 just replaces the standard Maya install.

Thanks BoostAbuse! That's what I did. I needed SAP SP1. Downloading now.

-Wes

Old 01 January 2012   #63
Originally Posted by lostparanoia: @Shawn: I meant that the comma now works in the channel box. the dot still does not work in the color chooser. just so you know. this issue is still there.

Hmmm... thanks for the update I'll see if there's a way to reproduce internally.

Old 01 January 2012   #64
Originally Posted by lostparanoia: The chance that you are actually from afghanistan seems slim, so I'm going to go ahead and assume that you are from somewhere in north america.

The scientific community generally uses a dot as a decimal mark, regardless of country. And I'm an old science/technology student. so yes, out of habit, I prefer the dot.

Also. as I said, comma didn't work in the channel box since day one in maya and maya is produced in north america. So... maybe you shouldn't be calling us europeans crazy. We just have to deal with your madness. (however, I just now noticed that the comma actually works in 2012. Must be because of the qt interface. Nice! )
And don't even get me started on this imperial system that you guys insist on using in USA. It's Liberia, Burma, and USA. the rest of the world (plus NASA and US military) uses the metric system. Basically, because unnecessary math is unnecessary.

Anyway. Back to the subject. Since different decimal marks are used in different parts of the world. Both should be equally usable until we can all agree on ONE system (wouldn't that be nice?).
Interesting about the scientific community differing. I was referring to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decima... decimal_comma
PS I'm actually originally from Europe and am not in North America I hope you didn't take offence to the "crazy" comment, I was trying to be jovial.

Last edited by royg : 01 January 2012 at 08:51 PM.

Old 01 January 2012   #65
Originally Posted by royg: Interesting about the scientific community differing. I was referring to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decima... decimal_comma
PS I'm actually originally from Europe and am not in North America I hope you didn't take offence to the "crazy" comment, I was trying to be jovial.

No worries my friend. I apologize if I was a bit harsh in my comment.

Last edited by lostparanoia : 01 January 2012 at 09:34 PM.

Old 02 February 2012   #66
Hey is anyone else having trouble with templated display layers not working on the viewport? Both v2.0 and the default maya viewport. It still displays shaded in shaded mode when I template something and if I switch to wireframe the templated geometry just disappears.

Old 02 February 2012   #67
Originally Posted by SheepFactory: Hey is anyone else having trouble with templated display layers not working on the viewport? Both v2.0 and the default maya viewport. It still displays shaded in shaded mode when I template something and if I switch to wireframe the templated geometry just disappears.

Tried reproducing on my end but can't seem to get it to reproduce what you're seeing. The really strange thing is template mode should never allow the objects to go shaded as they should only stay wireframe.

Old 02 February 2012   #68
Originally Posted by BoostAbuse: Tried reproducing on my end but can't seem to get it to reproduce what you're seeing. The really strange thing is template mode should never allow the objects to go shaded as they should only stay wireframe.

I will try a different driver and see if it fixes it.

Old 02 February 2012   #69
@onetime:
Originally Posted by onetime: So, satellite users have had their rendering capacity cut in half since 2011. That's a real bummer.

And THExDUKE is right. Please consider including the complete version name of mentalray satellite downloads. 3.9.1.48 is the latest version, but they're always only named 3.9.1. There's no way of determining the actual version number without installing it first. Naturally, this is confusing.

so did you ever use mental ray satellites ?

there always used to be 8 cpu-licenses up to now ( cpus )
now it is 4-computers that you can use ( no cpu restriction anylonger )

(so with dual-hexacore-machines it is now up to 48-cpus ) .... so what is bad about that ? ( 6 times as much power as before !)

Old 02 February 2012   #70
On my machines here meshes on a templated display layer show as wireframe in standard or high quality mode, but they are shaded in Viewport 2.0. (*I wasn't sure if this was new behavior or not as I rarely use Viewport 2.0).

Both machines are running Win 7 64, with Nvidia cards, one is a 9800, the other a 580.

Cheers,
Brian

Old 02 February 2012   #71
Originally Posted by BoostAbuse: Did you install SP2 or SP1 for SAP? If you had Alembic you probably had SAP installed and will need SAP SP1 not SP2 as SP2 just replaces the standard Maya install.

Wow.. you guys really need to come up with a better way of naming your updates. Right now it’s unnecessarily confusing.

Old 02 February 2012   #72
Wink The Autodesk updates, naming convention...

Originally Posted by DutchDimension: Wow.. you guys really need to come up with a better way of naming your updates. Right now it’s unnecessarily confusing.
BoostAbuse I completely agree with DutchDimension, the naming convention used by Autodesk for the Maya updates starts to get quite confusing mostly for the green users...

PS. Shawn guess will keep sticking to the quite stable Maya 2012 original release to avoid an extremely annoying bug displayed by the SP1A version, which btw I pointed out in my thread:

THE ULTIMATE MAYA AND MENTAL RAY ARCHVIZ GUIDE

Ciao.

Last edited by withego : 02 February 2012 at 09:46 AM.

Old 02 February 2012   #73
Originally Posted by DutchDimension: Wow.. you guys really need to come up with a better way of naming your updates. Right now it’s unnecessarily confusing.

Originally Posted by THExDUKE: Are there any updated release notes for the Mental Ray Satellites? Can´t see anywhere which is the actual version# , neither for the Maya 2012 SP2 nor for the Maya 2012 SAP SP1 via the Subscription Center.
When I click on the Maya 2012 SP2 Satellite to download it says 31.9.1! In the Subscription center it sas 30.9.1. I wonder if there are discrepancies between those two?

I also agree to Dutch...but we seem to be ignored?

Blog

Old 02 February 2012   #74
Edit........//Blank//

Blog

Last edited by THExDUKE : 02 February 2012 at 11:14 AM.

Old 02 February 2012   #75
Originally Posted by withego: BoostAbuse I completely agree with DutchDimension, the naming convention used by Autodesk for the Maya updates starts to get quite confusing mostly for the green users...

PS. Shawn guess will keep sticking to the quite stable Maya 2012 original release to avoid an extremely annoying bug displayed by the SP1A version, which btw I pointed out in my thread:

THE ULTIMATE MAYA AND MENTAL RAY ARCHVIZ GUIDE

Ciao.

I don't handle the naming but yeah - the whole SAP SP1 at the same time as SP2 is a bit confusing for folks.

As for the MR issue I browsed that thread and searched for "bug" and found what you're describing as a bug in the PFX -> Poly converter that's causing MR crashes? That's news to me as I'm pretty sure we didn't touch anything PFX related in the SP's or HotFixes so I'm puzzled as to how that's causing an MR crash.

On the MR satellite question I honestly have no idea offhand but I can ask someone internally who might know - stay tuned.

-s

Thread Closed share thread