Maya 2012 Service Pack 2

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2012
unfortunately the docked outliner "hack" doesn't work anymore. :-(

the lines

OutlinerWindow; dockControl -area "left"
-content outlinerPanel1
-label "outliner"
-allowedArea "left"
-allowedArea "right"
-width 250;
deleteUI "outlinerPanel1Window" ;

produces now an empty dock named outliner. Maya spits an error out: "Error: line 1: No window found."

Any ideas?

01 January 2012
Originally Posted by marcovn: unfortunately the docked outliner "hack" doesn't work anymore. :-(

the lines

produces now an empty dock named outliner. Maya spits an error out: "Error: line 1: No window found."

Any ideas?

OutlinerWindow; 
dockControl -area "left" 
                 -content outlinerPanel1Window 
                 -label "outliner" 
                 -allowedArea "left" 
                 -allowedArea "right" 
                 -width 250;

Need to get rid of the deleteUI as you're populating the contents of the docked panel with the window and when you delete it the docked panel doesn't get anything parented so you get the empty Outliner.

01 January 2012
it works ! :-)

Big thanks for your weekend-support Shawn!

cheers,
Marco

01 January 2012
Are there any updated release notes for the Mental Ray Satellites? Can´t see anywhere which is the actual version# , neither for the Maya 2012 SP2 nor for the Maya 2012 SAP SP1 via the Subscription Center.
When I click on the Maya 2012 SP2 Satellite to download it says 31.9.1! In the Subscription center it sas 30.9.1. I wonder if there are discrepancies between those two?

Blog

01 January 2012
Originally Posted by Maya 2011 FAQ PDF: 2.8 Can the eight (8) mental ray Satellite network rendering licenses included as part of the Maya 2011 software be installed on all Maya 2011 supported operating systems? Yes. The eight (8) mental ray Satellite network rendering licenses can be installed on Windows 32 and 64-bit, Linux 64-bit and Mac OS X 32 and 64-bit platforms.
Originally Posted by Maya 2012 SP1 PDF: Maya 2012 now includes four mental ray Satellite network rendering licenses, which allows you to freely use up to four slave machines (with up to four processors each and an unlimited number of cores) for mental ray network rendering.

So, satellite users have had their rendering capacity cut in half since 2011. That's a real bummer.

And THExDUKE is right. Please consider including the complete version name of mentalray satellite downloads. 3.9.1.48 is the latest version, but they're always only named 3.9.1. There's no way of determining the actual version number without installing it first. Naturally, this is confusing.

01 January 2012
Anyone else having problems with picking colors from the "image" tab in the color chooser, or is it just me? I'm having lots of weird bugs here including favorites like:

1: pick a color in the image for one material. press "done". select another material and select a different color for this one. this color will then be magically applied to the first material instead of the one you were picking it for.
This doesn't always happen, only sometimes, but often enough for it to be quite annoying.

2: if you first press the color picker icon and then try to pick a color in the image, you will get the image picking cross PLUS the color picking cross. Then the color from the mouse pointer cross will get picked and if you move your mouse pointer over the image area it will become invisible.

The next 2 are not exactly bugs, just... horrifying interface design.

3: you can't just click on the image to pick something. you need to press LMB and drag for it to pick a color.

4:Typing in values in the HSV and RGB fields only works if you use a decimal COMMA, and not if you use a decimal DOT (dot is what works for the rest of maya. you can't use a decimal comma in the channel box for example).

Last edited by lostparanoia : 01 January 2012 at 03:28 PM.

01 January 2012
for the comma vs decimal - what is your system locale set to ? US_en or something else. possible the Qt locale is getting used for the colour picker - whereas the rest of Maya is using its assumed US_en

01 January 2012
Originally Posted by lostparanoia: 3: you can't just click on the image to pick something. you need to press LMB and drag for it to pick a color.

4:Typing in values in the HSV and RGB fields only works if you use a decimal COMMA, and not if you use a decimal DOT (dot is what works for the rest of maya. you can't use a decimal comma in the channel box for example).

#3 is designed that way as an inspector. If you load a 2k sized photo or something out of say a > 12MP camera it's going to be pretty hard to grab a specific colour without a loupe/zoom interface.

#4 I can't seem to reproduce... do you have your keyboard or language settings setup differently? Punching in values using the decimal works for me.

01 January 2012
Originally Posted by BoostAbuse: #3 is designed that way as an inspector. If you load a 2k sized photo or something out of say a > 12MP camera it's going to be pretty hard to grab a specific colour without a loupe/zoom interface.

Yes, I realize that it's good to be able to drag the zoomed cross and pick a color. I'm not complaining about the feature itself. In fact I think it's a really good feature.
I just don't see any reason why you would actually have to move your mouse around for it to pick a color. why not just pick the color where the cross is currently at when you release the mouse button, regardless if you move it or not? Maybe this is harder to achieve in the qt? I don't know... well... I can live with that anyway, so...

Originally Posted by BoostAbuse: #4 I can't seem to reproduce... do you have your keyboard or language settings setup differently? Punching in values using the decimal works for me.

using the decimal... what? dot or comma?
here it only works with a comma, which doesn't work in the channel box.
I'm using swedish windows 7 and swedish keyboard.

Last edited by lostparanoia : 01 January 2012 at 08:55 PM.

01 January 2012
Originally Posted by lostparanoia: I'm using swedish windows 7 and swedish keyboard.
Don't you crazy Europeans use commas for decimal points? Instead of the "standard" full-stop (period)?
Wouldn't that explain it?

01 January 2012
Originally Posted by lostparanoia: Anyone else having problems with picking colors from the "image" tab in the color chooser, or is it just me? I'm having lots of weird bugs here including favorites like:

1: pick a color in the image for one material. press "done". select another material and select a different color for this one. this color will then be magically applied to the first material instead of the one you were picking it for.
This doesn't always happen, only sometimes, but often enough for it to be quite annoying.

Yes, this was the bug I was referring too. it is annoying, but I put up with it rather than opening PS to get the colours.

01 January 2012
Originally Posted by royg: Don't you crazy Europeans use commas for decimal points? Instead of the "standard" full-stop (period)?
Wouldn't that explain it?

The chance that you are actually from afghanistan seems slim, so I'm going to go ahead and assume that you are from somewhere in north america.

The scientific community generally uses a dot as a decimal mark, regardless of country. And I'm an old science/technology student. so yes, out of habit, I prefer the dot.

Also. as I said, comma didn't work in the channel box since day one in maya and maya is produced in north america. So... maybe you shouldn't be calling us europeans crazy. We just have to deal with your madness. (however, I just now noticed that the comma actually works in 2012. Must be because of the qt interface. Nice! )
And don't even get me started on this imperial system that you guys insist on using in USA. It's Liberia, Burma, and USA. the rest of the world (plus NASA and US military) uses the metric system. Basically, because unnecessary math is unnecessary.

Anyway. Back to the subject. Since different decimal marks are used in different parts of the world. Both should be equally usable until we can all agree on ONE system (wouldn't that be nice?).

Last edited by lostparanoia : 01 January 2012 at 03:26 PM.

01 January 2012
Originally Posted by Hamburger: Yes, this was the bug I was referring too. it is annoying, but I put up with it rather than opening PS to get the colours.

Aah. I see.

Have you filed a bug report?

01 January 2012
Alembic Not Working

Hey,

After installing SP2 on OS X. I am now getting an error when trying to activate the Alembic plugin.

// Error: Line 1.27: Cannot find file "AlembicCreateUI.mel" for source statement.

Is anyone else having issues with the Alembic plugin?

Thanks,

Wes

01 January 2012
Originally Posted by WesMcDermott: Hey,

After installing SP2 on OS X. I am now getting an error when trying to activate the Alembic plugin.

// Error: Line 1.27: Cannot find file "AlembicCreateUI.mel" for source statement.

Is anyone else having issues with the Alembic plugin?

Thanks,

Wes

Did you install SP2 or SP1 for SAP? If you had Alembic you probably had SAP installed and will need SAP SP1 not SP2 as SP2 just replaces the standard Maya install.

Thread Closed share thread