cesboa
Frequenter
portfolio
Christian | 3dg.dk
TD and Generalist
Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortk
Just had a chance to play around with it for a few minutes and I can honestly say that I am blown away at the quality that's been produced and the fact that you're giving it away.

I will definitely be using it in our pipeline and hopefully on our current project (if time allows)

This will save me so much time in organizing....

I wish you the best!

Great to hear and thanks a lot for the kind words Feedback is what's keeping it alive. Just write if you have any ideas on changes or features.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:21 AM   #62
THExDUKE
Know-it-All

portfolio
Erce Erim
3D Generalist
Germany

Hey Christian,

thanks a lot also from my side for this great piece. Im already putting all my shaders into the warehouse now and it seems that it is working fine .

I have actually tried the other stuff aswell but did not dive too deep into it and maybe ill find time to check things out there but I dont understand for instance how the maya2AE thing works. I made a little testscene with a cube and a cam moving around it. I have placed locators on each corner of the cube, selected the cam and the locators and exported it.
But when I import the .ma into AE there is actually nothing in there...or I am blind...could also be !

Also, maybe it is too much to ask but would it easy to implement the option of applying shaders by import? So I select objects in my scene, select the shader from sunday and import and it applies it then. Just a thought.

Oh, and for some reason I had an issue when copying the installation phython script. It did put it all into one line and came out with an syntax error, so I had to put the line breaks manually in there.

Beside that, like I said, everything looks great, and works great.
Thanks again mate,

highly appretiated!

Blog

Old 09-13-2011, 02:58 PM   #63
THExDUKE
Know-it-All

portfolio
Erce Erim
3D Generalist
Germany

Ok, so after testing and trying to implement my shaders into the pipeline I have found some issues that whether come from my stupidity or there is a bug.

First of all, whenever I import a shader it comes upt with this in script editor:

p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; } requires "Mayatomr" "2012.0m - 3.9.1.43 ";

requires "stereoCamera" "10.0";

requires "RenderMan_for_Maya" "2.0.1 Eval";

# File read in 0 seconds. #

# Error: line 1: RuntimeError: file <maya console> line 1: Plug-in, "RenderMan_for_Maya.bundle", was not found on MAYA_PLUG_IN_PATH. #

I donīt have renderman and Iam not sure if this is related to the sunday plugin or something else.

My first shaders did contain only procedural shaders, and for those I have no problems so far.
I also created a simple Checkermapshader on a Blinn and it copied the texture in the sourceimages folder. Nice...

But it seems that it doesnt do it for mia_shaders. I tried to upload a grass shader into the library and it contained a texture file but for some reason it does not copy the texturefile. I tried different fileformats and texture locations on differnet volumes with no luck.
It just works with e.g. a blinn.

Also when I open Maya, create a shader, render it in MRay and then in Sunday choose "RENDER VIEW" this error appears:

// Error: setParent: Object 'MayaWindow|SundayWarehouseCreate' not found.

But then it never comes again, untill I create a new scene!

This all happens on MacOS X .6.7 on a MacPro 5.1
Maya 2012 Hotfix4

Beside that another suggestion. Maybe I have to get used to it but I find it a bit "hard" to get all information about the selected item quickly.

Name, Information and Notes are close together and there is no highlight or space to seperate the single items visually very quick.

Dont get me wrong, I do appretiate this plugin and it is not always usual when people come up with something creative, where they have spent not only worktime but maybe even sparetime and then giving this out to the community for free.
But I think this critique is maybe justified under the fact that it is supposed to be a pipline tool for optimizing workflow !

Thanks so far

Blog

Old 09-13-2011, 05:45 PM   #64
Ekenryd
Bugged
portfolio
Thomas
3d/comp
Stockholm, Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesboa
Do you have the channelbox undocked or in other ways changed from standard?

Yes I do actually, itīs not undocked but my attribute ed, channel box and layer ed are all seperate tabs instead of the channel box/layer ed being one tab. Funny thing, canīt remember how or when I did that but I liked it that way so I havenīt bother going back to how it used to be

Quote:
If you have the time could you enable "echo all commands" and right click an channelbox attribute and paste the result?
On every Maya over version 2011 I have used I get the following path: MayaWindow|MainChannelsLayersLayout|ChannelsLayers PaneLayout|ChannelBoxForm|menuBarLayout1|frameLayo ut1|mainChannelBox|popupMenu1

Here is my result:
Code:
generateChannelMenu MayaWindow|MainChannelBoxLayout|ChannelBoxForm|men uBarLayout1|frameLayout1|mainChannelBox|popupMenu1 1; changeToolIcon;

Quote:
I hope the error is solved by using a nicer way to get the full channelbox path. Can you try running this and paste the result:
Code:
import maya.cmds as cmds import maya.mel as mel channelBoxMenu = (cmds.channelBox (mel.eval('$temp=$gChannelBoxName'), query=True, fullPathName=True) + '|popupMenu1') print channelBoxMenu

But strangely that's what throws the error for you - did you have any problems in 0.3/0.4? The channelbox menu was introduced in 0.3 and I haven't changed it since

Anybody else run into this problem?

Hereīs the result when running the code snippet:

Code:
channelBoxMenu = (cmds.channelBox (mel.eval('$temp=$gChannelBoxName'), query=True, fullPathName=True) + '|popupMenu1') print channelBoxMenu $temp=$gChannelBoxName; // Result: mainChannelBox // MayaWindow|MainChannelBoxLayout|ChannelBoxForm|men uBarLayout1|frameLayout1|mainChannelBox|popupMenu1

Hm. Canīt remember which was the last version I used. I hadnīt used sunday for some weeks and thought I should archive some stuff from a scene the other day and thatīs when it wanted to update to this version. It might even have been that the sunday menu wasnīt there and it wasnīt loaded in the plug manager, and I just thought "hey, I never turned this off when I left it a few weeks ago, I guess itīs maya unloading plugs as usual" and loaded it and got the update and thought this error came with the new version.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:04 PM   #65
cesboa
Frequenter
portfolio
Christian | 3dg.dk
TD and Generalist
Denmark

@Ekenryd:

Great, thanks for testing it out - and the new (or correct ) method of getting the channelbox is the way to go... Thanks to you the bug is fixed in the pending 0.6 release

Last edited by cesboa : 09-13-2011 at 07:56 PM.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:55 PM   #66
cesboa
Frequenter
portfolio
Christian | 3dg.dk
TD and Generalist
Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by THExDUKE
Ok, so after testing and trying to implement my shaders into the pipeline I have found some issues that whether come from my stupidity or there is a bug.

First of all, whenever I import a shader it comes upt with this in script editor:

p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; } requires "Mayatomr" "2012.0m - 3.9.1.43 ";

requires "stereoCamera" "10.0";

requires "RenderMan_for_Maya" "2.0.1 Eval";

# File read in 0 seconds. #

# Error: line 1: RuntimeError: file <maya console> line 1: Plug-in, "RenderMan_for_Maya.bundle", was not found on MAYA_PLUG_IN_PATH. #

I donīt have renderman and Iam not sure if this is related to the sunday plugin or something else.

Have you tried importing the shader/file without out using the warehouse? I guess it will throw the same errors. The warehouse just use a standard file import?
Have you had RenderMan trial installed at some point or got the file form someone who uses it? You could open the scene and run remove "Unknown nodes" under
optimize scene size.

Quote:
My first shaders did contain only procedural shaders, and for those I have no problems so far.
I also created a simple Checkermapshader on a Blinn and it copied the texture in the sourceimages folder. Nice...
But it seems that it doesnt do it for mia_shaders. I tried to upload a grass shader into the library and it contained a texture file but for some reason it does not copy the texturefile. I tried different fileformats and texture locations on differnet volumes with no luck.
It just works with e.g. a blinn.

Strange I will test it out asap. The Warehouse Create didn't create a sourceimages folder in the asset directory? A quick workaround would be to manually copy the textures that the shaders uses to the asset sourceimage folder. On import everything in sourceimage folder is copied to the sourceimage folder of the current project and the scripts tries to relink the textures to the file nodes (file and psdfile).

Quote:
Also when I open Maya, create a shader, render it in MRay and then in Sunday choose "RENDER VIEW" this error appears:
// Error: setParent: Object 'MayaWindow|SundayWarehouseCreate' not found.

But then it never comes again, untill I create a new scene!

I can't replicate this error. If you press the "Render View" button twice does It create the icon the second time - is that correct understood? Does this also an issue if you use the create from Viewport or from file?

Quote:
Beside that another suggestion. Maybe I have to get used to it but I find it a bit "hard" to get all information about the selected item quickly.
Name, Information and Notes are close together and there is no highlight or space to seperate the single items visually very quick.

I have a redesign of the browser on the list - I totally agree that it's not so easy to read the information in the information box. I haven't found a way to do text highlight - QT supports it but I don't think Maya does (or I haven't found it ). The name, author, version and render could be displayed in some boxes or via icons and textures could be previewed.

Quote:
Dont get me wrong, I do appretiate this plugin and it is not always usual when people come up with something creative, where they have spent not only worktime but maybe even sparetime and then giving this out to the community for free.
But I think this critique is maybe justified under the fact that it is supposed to be a pipline tool for optimizing workflow !
Thanks so far

Critique and feedback is always justified I appreciated it a lot… If the tool doesn't optimize workflow or helping being creative it should not be in the public domain - then it's just noise!!

Old 09-13-2011, 09:19 PM   #67
comfortk
Frequenter
portfolio
Kyle Raffile
3D Artist
Zero VFX
Boston, USA

Just importing some shaders from the DeeX vray library and it says on the eye shader (when I have "Include Textures" checked) "#Error: IOError: 13 #" This doesn't happen on any of the other ones though

What does error 13 mean? just so I can understand it better

Old 09-13-2011, 10:04 PM   #68
cesboa
Frequenter
portfolio
Christian | 3dg.dk
TD and Generalist
Denmark

Quote:
Just importing some shaders from the DeeX vray library and it says on the eye shader (when I have "Include Textures" checked) "#Error: IOError: 13 #" This doesn't happen on any of the other ones though

What does error 13 mean? just so I can understand it better

Python IO Error 13 is "Permission Denied". What system are you on? I don't get this on OSX. Deex's eye looks right (strange choice of words ) - its Warehouse compliant. It has a "Thumbs.db" under source images but that shouldn't be a problem (it's just copied when imported). The thing that could screw it up is file corruption, or a/some hidden file has god into the source images directory (like ".DS_Store" on OSX) or there actually are some permissions problems with the texture files in the source images.
Maybe try to download it again or repair permissions (diskutil if on OSX). Can you open the textures paint/photoshop? Is your Maya running as a different user with limited permission? Can you copy them manually?
Try importing it with script editor echo all commands, line numbers in errors and show stack trace and past the result here.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:37 PM   #69
THExDUKE
Know-it-All

portfolio
Erce Erim
3D Generalist
Germany

Quote:
Have you tried importing the shader/file without out using the warehouse? I guess it will throw the same errors. The warehouse just use a standard file import?
Have you had RenderMan trial installed at some point or got the file form someone who uses it? You could open the scene and run remove "Unknown nodes" under
optimize scene size.

Sorry, was my bad since I grabbed a material-template file from the web and obviously there were 1000 unused nodes and a renderman_globals in there... so consider this solved !

Quote:
Strange I will test it out asap. The Warehouse Create didn't create a sourceimages folder in the asset directory? A quick workaround would be to manually copy the textures that the shaders uses to the asset sourceimage folder. On import everything in sourceimage folder is copied to the sourceimage folder of the current project and the scripts tries to relink the textures to the file nodes (file and psdfile).

Yes, it does not create the sourceimagefolder for mia_material_x at least. For Blinn it works fine.

Quote:
I can't replicate this error. If you press the "Render View" button twice does It create the icon the second time - is that correct understood? Does this also an issue if you use the create from Viewport or from file?

Its not a "twice issue" ! In a fresh scene, when I click the button the first time then it comes up with this error. Then its ok and I can click the button as often as I want and its fine. But as soon as I create a new scene and click the button the error pops up again. Not sure if this might be faulty preferences. I could try that out.

Quote:
I have a redesign of the browser on the list - I totally agree that it's not so easy to read the information in the information box. I haven't found a way to do text highlight - QT supports it but I don't think Maya does (or I haven't found it ). The name, author, version and render could be displayed in some boxes or via icons and textures could be previewed.

Maybe a way would be to put the name of the shader / geometry or whatever and the information into a seperate "Boxes" So you dont need to highlight then..maybe Fontsize or Color would also work.

Quote:
Critique and feedback is always justified I appreciated it a lot… If the tool doesn't optimize workflow or helping being creative it should not be in the public domain - then it's just noise!!

Great to hear that. Thank you for your time!

Blog

Old 09-14-2011, 04:06 PM   #70
RagingBull
Bellend ^_^

Robot
Matchmoving
London, United Kingdom

Just wanted to say thanks for all of the efforts gone into this, as well as the 2 shader pack you guys popped up and sorted out

MANY thanks !

Old 09-14-2011, 05:12 PM   #71
comfortk
Frequenter
portfolio
Kyle Raffile
3D Artist
Zero VFX
Boston, USA

Quote:
Python IO Error 13 is "Permission Denied". What system are you on? I don't get this on OSX. Deex's eye looks right (strange choice of words ) - its Warehouse compliant. It has a "Thumbs.db" under source images but that shouldn't be a problem (it's just copied when imported). The thing that could screw it up is file corruption, or a/some hidden file has god into the source images directory (like ".DS_Store" on OSX) or there actually are some permissions problems with the texture files in the source images.
Maybe try to download it again or repair permissions (diskutil if on OSX). Can you open the textures paint/photoshop? Is your Maya running as a different user with limited permission? Can you copy them manually?
Try importing it with script editor echo all commands, line numbers in errors and show stack trace and past the result here.

Turns out that I do not have full permissions so it could possibly be that... I'll look into it

In the mean time, I thought that it would be pretty nifty if we were able to save out custom shelves and what not through the pipepline... that way it'll be easy to share certain scripts among many users

Old 09-14-2011, 07:52 PM   #72
cesboa
Frequenter
portfolio
Christian | 3dg.dk
TD and Generalist
Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingBull
Just wanted to say thanks for all of the efforts gone into this, as well as the 2 shader pack you guys popped up and sorted out

MANY thanks !

Thanks Hope you find it useful.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:02 PM   #73
cesboa
Frequenter
portfolio
Christian | 3dg.dk
TD and Generalist
Denmark

Quote:
Turns out that I do not have full permissions so it could possibly be that... I'll look into it

In the mean time, I thought that it would be pretty nifty if we were able to save out custom shelves and what not through the pipepline... that way it'll be easy to share certain scripts among many users

I really really like that idea I'll put it on the feature list!
A simple version could be made pretty quick...

Old 09-16-2011, 10:11 AM   #74
onetime
Frequenter

This seems like a really great tool so far. I really like the idea of having a material library, and the other options don't really cut it.

I am having a problem similar to THExDUKE, in that the Creating and Importing of materials does not seem to work with mental ray materials that have texture files. For example, In 2011 on OS X:

If I open a new scene and assign a file texture to a Lambert and export it via Warehouse Create, it will create an asset folder. Inside there, it creates a sourceimages folder and has a copy of the file texture. When I reimport this shader asset through the warehouse browser, it copies the texture to my project. In other words, that works perfectly.

However, when I do the exact same thing with an MIA material, the sourceimages folder is not created and there are no texture files copied. When I import this MIA shader asset into a new scene, the file node is pointing to the original location of the file. That's the only major problem I have at this point. Thanks for sharing. It really makes me want to learn some python.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:34 AM   #75
TheRazorsEdge
detail freak

portfolio
Felix Lahme
Essen, Germany

Looks like a very useful addition to Maya and a great production help. I'll be sure to check it out.

Thanks a lot for sharing!

Cheers!

Last edited by TheRazorsEdge : 09-16-2011 at 10:36 AM.

Thread Closed share thread