Maya DirectX11 Technology Viewport

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by chafouin: But if Autodesk choose to go Realtime with directx 11, and not progressive path tracing like the others, that could be a good idea, as I expect realtime render engines to give really realistic images that could compete with raytracers/pathtracers in a couple of years.

It's going the other way around though, pathtracers are being optimized and newer GPU's are making them more viable for the viewport. Why bother with an approximation/rasterization engine if you can have a wholly accurate path tracer that runs fast enough and requires less setup to get nice (and perfect) results?

And here's a game engine being worked on that uses path traced lighting.
http://raytracey.blogspot.co.nz/201...de-demo-at.html

08 August 2012
True, but I don't see that technology be used in all games anytime soon when you look at the new Unreal Engine or the Cryengine, but I don't know how the market will evolve. Maya could become more interesting for game companies with DirectX 11 support. Maybe that's what Autodesk is aiming?

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by chafouin: Maya could become more interesting for game companies with DirectX 11 support. Maybe that's what Autodesk is aiming?

Yes definitely this is aimed at game development pipeline.

I see a lot of software rendering guys jumping into this thread leaving negative comments.
But they are missing the point for who this tech is for.

I've been in game development for most of my career and a path tracing viewport is useless for game development at this point in time. Maybe in the future, that will change for games and when it does, Maya will adapt to offer that.

Right now, and for the next while, game developers need a solid solution for working with real-time shaders.

There is no reason a path tracing viewport renderer couldn't also be plugged into Maya.
The 2 are different technologies aimed at different groups of users (at this point in time).

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by chafouin: True, but I don't see that technology be used in all games anytime soon when you look at the new Unreal Engine or the Cryengine, but I don't know how the market will evolve. Maya could become more interesting for game companies with DirectX 11 support. Maybe that's what Autodesk is aiming?

Yeah, of course. I was merely replying to your comment saying that rasterization engines like this could eventually compete with path-tracers. This DX11 viewport is a very good choice and is definitely useful for the plethora of game development folks who use Maya.

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by kees: There is no reason a path tracing viewport renderer couldn't also be plugged into Maya.

Then why are we still waiting for iRay?

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by Lone Deranger: Then why are we still waiting for iRay?

Because nobody has been tasked with implementing it? It's about priorities. iRay has been working for the most part in Maya since v2011. The UI just hasn't been modified for it, the DLL's for it aren't packaged with Maya, and it hasn't gone through beta testing.

08 August 2012
pretty nifty iray/unified sampling UI avaiable on this thread :

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...?f=87&t=1018119

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by blade33ru: pretty nifty iray/unified sampling UI avaiable on this thread :

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...?f=87&t=1018119

I concur, I've been using that for quite some time now, it's very handy.

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by kees: I see a lot of software rendering guys jumping into this thread leaving negative comments.

I think those people you refer to are more "concerned" that this new tech has a perceived assumption that it has overtaken priority over the half finished feature set of the existing VP2 rather than missing the point of who this new DX11 tech is for.

But as you point out numerous times there are also improvements added to the existing VP2 which we are all thankful for!

08 August 2012
Problem is people have lost all hope in Autodesk... The way you guys demo'd this feature was very misleading because on the surface it looks like a direct improvement to VP2 hence why a lot of software rendering guys are jumping up and down but in reality its a niche feature designed for a few large game development studio's....

Autodesk has a serious PR issue they need to address.

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by kees:
I see a lot of software rendering guys jumping into this thread leaving negative comments.

and i think you missed the point that a LOT of the current Maya userbase is asking for something different then this, that´s why they´re leaving negative comments!
i wonder when adsk will start to listen to his userbase

i mean...in the "Ideas for Maya forum" the most voted idea, by far, is to improve the mental ray integration (which IS, strongly connected to the viewport visualization off course) and your answer is:

please identify specific items – we know mental ray can be better but where do you want us to focus?

• may i ask you how do you prioritize your tasks there? cause im really missing the point for whom you´re developing for...
  • __________________
    my mental ray book my website

Last edited by dagon1978 : 08 August 2012 at 08:07 AM.

08 August 2012
    Originally Posted by dagon1978: and i think you missed the point that a LOT of the current Maya userbase is asking for something different then this, that´s why they´re leaving negative comments!
    i wonder when adsk will start to listen to his userbase

i mean...in the "Ideas for Maya forum" the most voted idea, by far, is to improve the mental ray integration (which IS, strongly connected to the viewport visualization off course) and your answer is:

please identify specific items – we know mental ray can be better but where do you want us to focus?[*]

may i ask you how do you prioritize your tasks there? cause im really missing the point for whom you´re developing for...[/list]

The forums aren't an accurate representation of what the "Maya userbase" wants. It is only an example of what a vocal few want. Maya is deployed across thousands of computers, in tonnes of studios, used by thousands of employees who never post on these forums. I'm pretty sure if anyone has an idea of what the actual Maya userbase wants, it would be Autodesk, the people actually dealing, talking with and receiving information from those studios.

08 August 2012
    Originally Posted by Kakkoii: I'm pretty sure if anyone has an idea of what the actual Maya userbase wants, it would be Autodesk, the people actually dealing, talking with and receiving information from those studios.

Yes. I'm sure features like the Viewcube, implementation of crippleware plugins like Allegorithmic's Substance and the virtually pointless ability of previewing basic render pass composites in the Render View window are in much greater demand across the board than say... finishing Linear Workflow, updating the modeling tools or better MR implementation to name a few.

Saying that we are 'missing the point' about who this technology is for, is just plain incorrect and quite frankly a little insulting. The stumbling point has always been about the perceived lack of focus and AD's inability to finish and then maintain features to a higher degree.

08 August 2012
    Originally Posted by Kakkoii: The forums aren't an accurate representation of what the "Maya userbase" wants. It is only an example of what a vocal few want. Maya is deployed across thousands of computers, in tonnes of studios, used by thousands of employees who never post on these forums. I'm pretty sure if anyone has an idea of what the actual Maya userbase wants, it would be Autodesk, the people actually dealing, talking with and receiving information from those studios.

so what´s the matter of "Ideas for Maya forum" if it´s not representing the maya userbase? is it just a joke or what?

08 August 2012
    Originally Posted by dagon1978: so what´s the matter of "Ideas for Maya forum" if it´s not representing the maya userbase? is it just a joke or what?

It's exactly as it says. "Ideas for Maya", not "Things the majority of the userbase is asking for right now.". It's just one more, of many sources, for Autodesk to get feedback from a portion of the community.

Thread Closed share thread