Maya 2016 V-Ray Wireframe Issue

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

09 September 2017
Maya 2016 V-Ray Wireframe Issue

Hi, I am trying to render a car I modeled with V-Ray for Maya using V-RayEdges but I keep getting these thick edges. In some cases much worse than this. I am not sure why but it seems to happen to edges that are close to each other. If there are 2 edges close to each other (doesn't have to be that close in some cases) and I remove one it seems to fix. I am rendering with smooth preview on. If I remove smooth preview it works fine. I tried turning smooth preview off and adding a V-Ray Subdivision attribute to the mesh to render as subdivision surface and it does the same thing as if I were rendering with smooth preview on. If I subdivide the mesh and then use smooth preview this works fine (even though edges are close to each other). If I add edges in between it eventually fixes but that is pretty much like I'm manually subdividing the mesh. Other things I've tried:

Reverse Normals
Harden/Soften Edges
Adding thickness
Cleanup
Delete History
Using V-Ray Attributes (subdivision, opensubdiv, subdivision and displacement quality)
Render Setting (samples, subdivisions, progressive/buckets, etc...)
Scaling the mesh
Reducing edge thickness (problem is it reduces for all edges, not just the thick ones)
and more...

I would really like to be able to render with smooth preview if possible. I know it isn't entirely necessary and I can avoid this by subdividing the mesh but if possible I would really like to figure this out. There aren't many videos out there addressing this and I searched multiple forums but cannot find any threads discussing this. If anyone knows how to fix this and can let me know I'd very much appreciate it! Thanks!

Maya 2016 SP6
V-Ray 3.5

Last edited by jeffrey3d45 : 09 September 2017 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Tried something else

reply share thread