Maya 2018 - Review: Creativity OFF - Efficiency almost ON!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

08 August 2017
Maya 2018 - Review: Creativity OFF - Efficiency almost ON!

Since my original post was unfairly deleated... and now Autodesk Maya 2018 has already been released with same features i described a month ago... yes, i told you first than anyone on this forum and proved it was a final version with real videos from youtube; then now,  i´m proud to sustain my first review:

Autodesk Maya 2018 Review - First review after testing Autodesk Maya 2018

A year ago Autodesk Maya 2017 was released with mixed reactions between both users and companies, Autodesk introduced extra payments for batch render and decided to take a risk by trashing Mental Ray and just plugg Arnold as Maya´s new out of the box renderer, Maya 2018 has been released and what a  complete dissapointment,  If you where expecting amazing new features, keep waiting for another rather long year, Autodesk Maya 2018 is all about performance and solving issues from Maya 2017, after 1 year of development Maya has almost cero new amazing features and for some people it brings a bit of tragic news.

Autodesk Maya 2018 review:

1 - A few new small features have been released for Autodesk Maya 2018, like: "gear" for making mechanical objects, new polygon primitives for fancy shapes, some new tools for the UV editor, extrude by pressing shift, new dynamic node for mash, new visibility mode for rigs and circulize to create circles over polygons, and thats pretty much it for 1 year of development of Maya 2018, seems like Autodesk urgently needs a new creative development team since most of the production time of  new features was spent on fixing old features that were not even developed by Autodesk (Xgen, Bifrost, Arnold, etc).
2 - Impossible to open old scenes without node errors, this is a very surprissing problem with Maya 2018, if you try to open a Maya 2016 or Maya 2017 scene you will find very difficult to load materials right without previous plugins, compatibility issues wont allow you to use any mental ray node, materials become red or black and will require you to manually replace each material by Arnold Materials losing for many cases refraction, specular, bump, displacement and texture configurations, requiring hours of extra work and you wont be able to see MR  materials but nodes without many attributes.
3 - SSAO and AAA Cause High Performance Degradation, the bigger the viewport the greater the degradation when SSAO and AAA are enable, also the larger the size of the viewport makes pre-highlighting to become laggy.
4 - Say good bye to legacy viewports, Maya 2018 only works with Viewport 2.0 withouth almost any improvement.
5 - Arnold for Maya 2018 overheats computers faster than Arnold for Maya 2017, try at your own burning risk.
6 - Bath render with Arnold still a pay-per-view tool for Maya 2018, even if Autodesk sold you Maya as a full working tool...

Here some  Autodesk Maya 2018 tutorials for you to enjoy:

Extrude/ Slide in Maya 2018
Circulize component for Maya 2018
Animation workflow in Maya 2018
Curl Noise Hologram
Maya 2018 features

Final review: Autodesk Maya 2018 seems just a number slaped next to Maya´s name, more than a brand new release, just a simple update with more problems to fix than new exciting features for 1 complete year of wait. Looks like relying on comercial practices and just buy and plug new features for Maya is not working anymore as fast as it did for previous versions, a new phyllosophy from Autodesk making Maya feel designed only for the bussiness sake.

Last edited by RoccoFx : 08 August 2017 at 01:06 AM.

08 August 2017
Hi RoccoFx,
Yes , of course you were right. A lot of people know that but most of the people that agree with what you were saying do not voice their opinion here. Maya 2018 from what others say is much more stable. I have not tried it yet and too tell you the truth I am in no rush. Rushing into any version of Maya the last 10 years has proven to be a waste of time. And sinking money into it has also proven to be a waste. You end up paying for using bugs. And then paying again for them to be fixed. So you pay twice. And then Autodesk takes your paid license away from you by changing the "rules" from maintenance to subscription or some crap. Most people will be happy if 2018 proves to be less buggy than all the mostly garbage served the previous years. And I can't blame them. They need to get work done. Even if it means that they are lacking features that are considered mainstream today. But lets face it. Autodesk has stopped developing Maya a long time ago. Maya has not been cutting edge in a very very long time. It is barely capable of keeping up at all. They purchase third party tools and just shoehorn them in, poorly, and pretend the package is still developing. Perhaps that is a good thing since they are basically incapable of actually developing anything themselves. Maya is just a "container" (even though it doesn't even have "containers" in the node editor or the hypershade ferom what someone else was just saying today). The just plop third party tools in, just add water, and hope it will magically grow. Don't waste your time pointing out the obvious. I personally think that it's very unlikely that Maya will be around for too long. Or if it is it will gradually play less and less of an important role in this industry. It's losing production left and right to Houdini, C4D and probably even Blender. The reason I mention Blender last is only because it is free. It is not less important. It is probably much more relevant to CG today than Maya has been in a long time.

08 August 2017
So far this is looking like the best, most bug-free Maya release ever from Autodesk.  That's not saying much I know , but it took a lot less for me to say not much than it did for you.

08 August 2017
IMO, the best release in a long time.

Speed and stability are always my top priority features and that appears to be what they delivered

08 August 2017
Originally Posted by sentry66: Speed and stability are always my top priority features and that appears to be what they delivered
Same as saying cero features but fixes... thanks for agree with me...LOL

we both agree now that Autodesk only made fixes for Maya 2017, a simple update, never a new release as Maya 2016 was and even 2017, Maya 2018 just came out short of creativity on almost any spect but fixing bug department.

What an easy way of avoiding producing more bugs by releasing a new version with almost cero new stuff and only solving old problems.... and not delivering almost anything new after 1 year of work, problems that could have been solved in a simple update.

Last edited by RoccoFx : 08 August 2017 at 03:58 AM.

08 August 2017
Originally Posted by RoccoFx: Same as saying cero features but fixes

Please tell me what new 'creative' features you require to be more productive?

08 August 2017
Really? Let's see:

Quote: 4 - Say good bye to legacy viewports, Maya 2018 only works with Viewport 2.0 withouth almost any improvement.
If you really need it, then there is an env variable to turn it on as much as I know.
Quote: 5 - Arnold for Maya 2018 overheats computers faster than Arnold for Maya 2017, try at your own burning risk.
Did you try this with other renderers or tools that use all cores 100%?
Quote: 6 - Bath render with Arnold still a pay-per-view tool for Maya 2018, even if Autodesk sold you Maya as a full working tool...
My bath renders fine... well did you really expect this will change only because you do not like it (and everyone else as well)? And it still is a fully working tool, but not in a way we prefer it.

The development of Maya is not a step by step process any more. It is continous development and if it is time, a new extension pack/service pack/release is taken from the main development trunk and released. And let's be honest: A serious bug fix release with the possibility that we do not have to wait for plugin developers to recompile everything for Maya2018+ is worth a new release. That's a huge step IMHO.

08 August 2017
Originally Posted by haggi:  A serious bug fix release with the possibility that we do not have to wait for plugin developers to recompile everything for Maya2018+ is worth a new release. That's a huge step IMHO.

So...why none of the plugins work with maya 2018? I reinstalled Renderman, 3Delight and mental ray. None of them works with Maya2018.

08 August 2017
Maya2018+ means from now the future releases should work, e.g. Maya2018.5 or Maya2019.

08 August 2017
plugins for 2018 will work in 2019... they changed the API for future releases...

08 August 2017
Cool story bro.

If some here are so convinced that Maya is on it's way out and other apps are the future then why not go and use those instead and stop whining ? What's stopping you exactly?

For the record I love Maya. I use it every day and really enjoy the control and power it gives me for my chosen discipline (character animation).
Is it perfect? Of course not.. but neither are any of the others, spend any time with them and this very quickly becomes obvious.

08 August 2017
I can't agree more, i use Maya mostly for modelling and uv's but have used ever area of the program especially when i was working as a generalist and in the last 4-5 years Autodesk have improved every area o the program with new modelling tools , new uv tools, new animation tools, new dynamic system (Bfrost), Xgen, Mash, and so on and this year they've decided to focus on stability rather than adding new features and new bugs that comes with them, they've even said this is what their customers told them and i see a lot of people preferring a more stable version at a cost of new features. Personally i was blown away when i saw the sculpting video they showed a couple of years ago and have been waiting for those tools\features ever since, i think they are still developing it and hopefully they've decided to do this cleanup pass before adding new tools.

08 August 2017
Originally Posted by RoccoFx: Same as saying cero features but fixes... thanks for agree with me...LOL

we both agree now that Autodesk only made fixes for Maya 2017, a simple update, never a new release as Maya 2016 was and even 2017, Maya 2018 just came out short of creativity on almost any spect but fixing bug department.

What an easy way of avoiding producing more bugs by releasing a new version with almost cero new stuff and only solving old problems.... and not delivering almost anything new after 1 year of work, problems that could have been solved in a simple update.

It's great, they should do it more often. Whoever thought of the idea there is a genius. Taps directly into the core functionality of the software and user needs

08 August 2017
After all that years of buggy releases I was hoping, that Autodesk will put the focus on stability in the next version. Now comes 2018, that is promised to be a stable version. And now I feel like:
can it be truth that my demands on maya has shrinked to only having  stability? AD made me wear down all these years. Well done Autodesk!!!
Guys, don´t misunderastand me. I´m glad about 2018 , but it´s sobering.
Maybe I should think about trying some other software and hope that it won´t be aquired by AD.

reply share thread