Expressions affecting multiple references of the same object?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

11 November 2017
Expressions affecting multiple references of the same object?

Hey all! Got a quick question for you this morning. I have a rigged car that is referenced into a scene several times. The wheels are rigged to rotate using Andrew Christophersen's tutorial. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpDc93br3dM

One of the vehicles is on a motion path that drives through the scene, and the wheels rotate correctly. However, there is another, separate reference of the same rigged vehicle that is parked elsewhere in the scene. That second vehicle's wheels rotate constantly, I believe because the expression of the first referenced object is affecting them as well. Trying to edit the expression to use the namespaced' names for the objects in the rig hierarchy breaks the expression.

I realize that it's probably better to use an Arnold stand-in for a static object like this anyways, or even just removing the expressions, but it could be an issue for me in the future where I do need multiple vehicles. Does anyone have advice on preventing this? I'm pretty new to rigging, expressions, MEL, pretty much everything so apologies if my explanation is unclear. Obviously, I'm more than happy to provide any additional information that might be helpful.

Thanks in advance!
-Matt

reply share thread