The Sideshow - Character - GMASK

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2003
The Sideshow - Character - GMASK

The LEGMAN:

The legman's deformity was being born with legs for arms and arms for legs. The circus was going to call him "Mr. Legs for Arms" but the inside joke about `ole leggie` being a legsman stuck (`ole leggie` is what the carnie's call him ) . Legman's deformity is rumored to have been caused by the spell of a witch doctor that was cast on his mother because she had washed the feet of another man. Unfortunately for `ole leggie` his mother never suffered from the spell other than giving birth to him. Soon after he was left with a traveling Gimp show and the rest is history.

I drew this in 1989. I guess it was probably inspired by Joel Peter Witkin. In order to stay within the rules I need to make him non-symmetrical and give him something to hold. I was thinking of having him balancing or operating some kind of device with his hands or feet. I might give him a loin cloth otherwise I don't really need to worry about clothing.

Last edited by gmask : 08 August 2003 at 11:57 PM.

08 August 2003
Here's the first image of the WIP. I'm roughing out the anatomy with spheres.

08 August 2003
Here's the legs.. they still need work.

but I think I figured out that Legman is perched on a swing in a giant birdcage. I dunno if that counts as him holder something though?

08 August 2003
Your basic bird freak..

08 August 2003
That's freaky, allright... Interesting roughing method.

xenomata

Be indiscreet - do it continuously.

08 August 2003
wow, looks great what do you do after you get the rough together you melt all the spheres together? kinda like metaballs?

Lordrych

08 August 2003
Quote: Originally posted by Lordrych
wow, looks great what do you do after you get the rough together you melt all the spheres together? kinda like metaballs?

I could boolean them together and do a smooth but that's NOT what I was actually planning to do.

<<EDIT.. actually I played around with union and smooth abit and it's problematic and would make cleaning up the geometry a nightmare.

Last edited by gmask : 08 August 2003 at 06:52 PM.

08 August 2003
interesting method indeed!

one small critique however... I would imagine that his tricep muscles would be a lot bigger than that, seeing that they carry all that weight around... looks really wrong now, likr he suddenly woke up and found his limbs switched, as opposed to being born that way.

08 August 2003
Quote: Originally posted by Amer
interesting method indeed!

one small critique however... I would imagine that his tricep muscles would be a lot bigger than that, seeing that they carry all that weight around... looks really wrong now, likr he suddenly woke up and found his limbs switched, as opposed to being born that way.

Yeah the forearms are a bit spindlely as well.

08 August 2003
New more powerful arms

08 August 2003
This is hands down the weirdest thing I've seen in a long time! Not only the model, but the technique and the look of this last render...

That just HAS to be a good sign... !

xenomata

Be indiscreet - do it continuously.

08 August 2003
Quote: Originally posted by JamesMK
This is hands down the weirdest thing I've seen in a long time! Not only the model, but the technique and the look of this last render...

That just HAS to be a good sign... !

LOL.. I take it as good sign.. FYI the rendering technique is just me screwing around with the screen capture in Photoshop. The rendering shall be more or less photoreal and witkinesque.

08 August 2003
Yup, this is really strange and thus very, very interesting! You just got yourself a subscriber

/Anders

08 August 2003
roughing with spheres - thats very nice way gmask finding the right edge loops is now much easier (poly) - u going with nurbs patches (old school) or poly´s after roughing?

08 August 2003
Quote: Originally posted by swag
roughing with spheres - thats very nice way gmask finding the right edge loops is now much easier (poly) - u going with nurbs patches (old school) or poly´s after roughing?

I haven't decided yet.. I may go with nurbs at first until I get the topology more or less laid out as edge loops are no fun in Maya.

What do you mean by "finding the right edge loops is now much easier (poly)".. maybe I has missed something?

Then I will convert them to polys and either use a smooth proxy or convert to sub-d.

share thread