The Sideshow - Character - Bytehawk

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2003
thanks jffortin, will tweak those wrinkles as you said, I went a little overboard with those...

cheers amer, seems we agree

website

08 August 2003
Promising! And I'd like to second the previous encouragements about this "copied idea" debate - You are all doing your own things anyway, I don't see a problem here. And besides, the whole concept behind the challenge is that there is a certain theme to follow, right? So it would be strange if we didn't encounter some similarities.

Some suggestions, if you don't mind: The eyes and the area around them seems a bit protruded to me. Would perhaps look better if it was pulled back into the skull a bit, and maybe also scaled along the X to put the eyes a bit closer to the nosebone. And I figure the lips should have more curvature (think cylindrically along the Y)... Just some ideas, feel free to ignore

xenomata

Be indiscreet - do it continuously.

08 August 2003
thanks for the suggestions

will look into them tonight. I like this challenge just because of the feedback you get like yours.

Cheers,

website

08 August 2003
added some geometry

not entirely satisfied with the results of the new geometry, major tweaking is still needed. Weekend's here, C yall on monday.

website

08 August 2003
So... that's his intestines where the head should have been...? *barf* *ralph* Oh sweet mother of Zaphod Beeblebrox... Excellent! Speechless.

xenomata

Be indiscreet - do it continuously.

08 August 2003
I think I'll eliminate the neck, so that the 'head' geometry blends in better with the rest

website

08 August 2003
didn't do a lot over the weekend.
i think I'll make him a comic act, with cigar in hand - a stand up comic

heres an update :

website

Last edited by Bytehawk : 08 August 2003 at 12:46 AM.

08 August 2003
added some basic arms, still need to flesh them out a bit, don't yet know if it's going to be neccesary (if he's wearing a shirt for example)

website

08 August 2003
Heya Bytehawk,

Good work so far - hope you don't mind a few suggestions...

(I'm a former 3D instructor - I can't help myself)

Worry a little more about the underlying structure of your character - where his bones, muscles and, particularily in your case, his guts lie.

Visit a few sites, like this one, to find reference on anatomy. You'll find that the shoulder muscles are going to be a little higher, a little more defined. His torso is a little on the square side, try tapering it a bit in the middle, and rounding it out.

His guts are where his head is supposed to be - cool!! But make sure you have in mind how does this actually work? Is there a skull up there? If so, how much of one? If not, or even if there is only a partial, his guts aren't going to be able to hold themselves in position very well, so they'll likely sag a bit more - when animating, they'll probably slosh back and forth.

I've done a quick paintover to show you some ideas on what you could do - but my no means should you blindly follow them. Check up on anatomy, make your own call - how much fat, how much muscle - etc.

In my personal modeling taste, I like to model clothes, not a naked body, and then clothes. I think it's a bit of a waste of time modeling something that you aren't going to see. That being said, you still have to keep in mind the underlying structure when modeling clothes as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg paintover.jpg (9.7 KB, 34 views)

08 August 2003
wow, thanks dragon. this really helps me along. I thought there was something missing.

about the skull, indeed, more thought needs to go into that area.

I was in two minds about modeling the clothes without any underlying structure. Truth is, I don't have any idea how i'm going to clothe him. a loose shirt with pants is the closest I can think of right now.

I really appreciate the time you took to give me some tips.

website

08 August 2003
and here's an update

website

08 August 2003
Yeah! That's looking much better already!! (I'd say more, but I'm really drunk.)

09 September 2003
update

website

09 September 2003
final

website

01 January 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

share thread