iray benchmark

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2010   #31
Originally Posted by thorsten hartmann: ah nice, both the Renderings Quality looks the same, but the AA from iray looks better
Yes, it is blurrier because of the said filtering; if I turn it off, I get the result as V-Ray RT.
Quote: and where come the black spotches at the VrayRT rendering?
There are overlapping faces there, which V-Ray generally dislikes, even in its production version (and V-Ray RT is more or less designed to give accurate preview of the production rendering).

Best regards,
Vlado

Last edited by thev : 10 October 2010 at 08:39 AM.

Old 10 October 2010   #32
Originally Posted by ClausD: Very interesting results here.

But maybe I don´t get the point of this Iray hype. Mental Ray is slow as hell. Nothing new here for me. Then Iray is 10 times slower than MR. Mental Images told me for years, that their renderer IS physical correct. NOW there is Iray and NOW Iray is physical correct.

The renderings from this two renderers are more than just different. So "physical correctness" seems to be just a marketing phrase. You are unable to asure that every face in your scene has a "really" physical correct surface. You always have to tweak on geometry AND materials AND lights. So what is a physical correct renderer good for if the best you can get out of it is an estimation of what "looks like physical correct"?

If I cheat my scene just a little bit with 10 seconds effort, I can spare 2-3 hours of rendering time per frame. I don´t think that Iray will be a kind of production renderer for me. It is barely to slow for material editor. But I agree, it´s a nice toy and may be a little window to the future of rendering.

How about this: Put some cheap GTX 470 or GTX 480 in your renderslaves in you little local renderfarm. Then render with "VrayRT GPU" via Distributed Rendering on all your cheap cards over your intern network in nearly realtime parts of your scene with Vray RT GPU as ActiveShade Renderer. Tweak materials, geometry and lights and render the entire scene over the same network on CPU without limitations.

Sounds more of workflow to me. What I really like to see is some support from Vray for the Meta-SL shaders. I think thats the way to go (for every renderer in the future).

Regards
Claus

I think it's more that you can easily preview what you're doing very quickly with iray, I actually haven't compared if it takes longer with Mental Ray for an image, but you can get a good idea of what things look like much quicker with iray, for tweaking materials and lights before you do your final renders in Mental Ray. I'd still prefer Mental Ray for rendering, but iray is useful to preview things.

Old 10 October 2010   #33
Originally Posted by thev: Here is a comparison with V-Ray RT:

1. iray 10 min, CPU+GPU (1x i7 + 1x GeForce 480):

2. V-Ray RT 10 min, GPU only (1x GeForce 480):

Best regards,
Vlado
Illumination between IRay and VrayRT looks different. RT's one is much warmer. Both can't be physically accurate if conditions are the same. Wich one is right?

Regards,
Jr.

Old 10 October 2010   #34
Originally Posted by Eugenio: Illumination between IRay and VrayRT looks different. RT's one is much warmer. Both can't be physically accurate if conditions are the same. Wich one is right?

Regards,
Jr.

has nothing to do with physical accuracy
you could get the same with iray using exposure control settings.

Old 10 October 2010   #35
if you can't get AA working with vray gpu then it's only a preview renderer, iray is closer to octane, which are both meant for production renders.

Old 10 October 2010   #36
Wow, so many replies.
Thank you for your interests, but please let's not digress from the topic.
This thread is for the iray benchmark.
If someone who want renderer comparision, new thread will be better.
Thank you so much and let's keep going. I hope to see more results.

Old 10 October 2010   #37
Originally Posted by Eugenio: Illumination between IRay and VrayRT looks different. RT's one is much warmer. Both can't be physically accurate if conditions are the same. Wich one is right?
Ah, but the conditions are not the same :-) The exposure settings are somewhat different; the V-Ray sun/sky model is also slightly different. Do not ask me which one is "physically accurate" :-) - they are just mathematical models (approximations) and not the real thing. An actual HDR image would be more appropriate for a physical comparison.

Best regards,
Vlado

Old 10 October 2010   #38
Originally Posted by Sam75: if you can't get AA working with vray gpu then it's only a preview renderer, iray is closer to octane, which are both meant for production renders.
<shrug> I never said otherwise. Nevertheless, many people use V-Ray RT for final production renders, and many people will use iray for preview purposes.

Best regards,
Vlado

Old 10 October 2010   #39
Originally Posted by Sam75: if you can't get AA working with vray gpu then it's only a preview renderer, iray is closer to octane, which are both meant for production renders.

Unless you're only doing simple scenes / studio setups, none of those are production ready yet.

Old 10 October 2010   #40
Is that all? No one has GTS450 or other card?

Old 10 October 2010   #41
For you guys running 4 x gtx480 cards, how's the heat output and noise after 10 minutes of rendering, or an hour or more?

edit to add: by noise, I mean fan noise. Thanks.

Old 11 November 2010   #42
My GTX 580 arrived this morning so I switched one of the two GTX 285 with it.

100 Interations in 22 seconds

10 minutes result on my Quadcore 6850 Extrem @ 3.0 GHz with 1 x GTX580 and 1 x GTX285

Old 11 November 2010   #43
Also note that even though iray and vrayrt give simular quality, iray is using both the cpu+gpu and vrayrt only the gpu.

How does vrayrt perform with both gpu and cpu on? One would suspect it would be faster? or is there some bottlenecking going on?

Old 12 December 2010   #44
My second GTX 580 arrived this morning so I switched the last one of the GTX 285 with it.

100 Interations in 16 seconds

10 minutes result on my Quadcore 6850 Extrem @ 3.0 GHz with 2 x GTX580

Old 12 December 2010   #45
Talking

Originally Posted by ClausD: My second GTX 580 arrived this morning so I switched the last one of the GTX 285 with it.

100 Interations in 16 seconds

10 minutes result on my Quadcore 6850 Extrem @ 3.0 GHz with 2 x GTX580

(img)

Can you compare it with vray RT GPU?

Thread Closed share thread