sIBL_GUI For 3dsMax

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 02 February 2011   #31
Thanks for the kind words Joe !

KS

Old 02 February 2011   #32
Hi

I just released a new build ( 3.1.1 ) because I noticed some regressions and an user reported me another critical one on HDRLabs.

Here is the Change Log :

sIBL_GUI - 3.1.1 :
  • Fixed "Add Content" broken context menu entry of "Collection Outliner" component.
  • Fixed a code regression preventing export of Ibl Sets with comments.

Sorry for the inconvenience !

KS

Old 02 February 2011   #33
Hi !

sIBL_GUI 3.1.2 is out !

The "Search Database" component has been reworked and features now a new "In Tags Cloud" search option and a new button to clear up started searchs : http://kelsolaar.hdrlabs.com/sIBL_G...ch_Database.swf

Complete Change Log :

sIBL_GUI - 3.1.2 :
  • Fixed issues with the “Search Database” component and empty Ibl Set attributes.
  • Added new “In Tags Cloud” option to the “Search Database” component. It’s now possible to search for multiples keywords in any order either by typing them in the “Search Database” widget or select them in the “Tags Cloud” widget.
  • “Search Database” widget now has a button to clear the current search.
  • Implement units tests on sIBL_GUI foundations and manager packages.
  • Extracted multiple packages to new repositories for better code reusability.

Cheers !

KS

Old 02 February 2011   #34
Hi !

sIBL_GUI 3.1.3 is out !

This is an update that I hope will pleased a lot of people : Lights type support is implemented in the Templates ! That mean that one can choose if the lights created by sIBL_GUI will be "Area", "Directional", "Point", "Spot", etc ...

Here is a screencast to illustrate this : http://kelsolaar.hdrlabs.com/sIBL_G...pes_Support.swf

Depending the feedback I receive I may update some defaults ( Increase area lights size or sampling, etc ...)

* * * Important Notice * * *
"sIBL_GUI 3.1.2" Windows building file presented some issues resulting in an incorrect "templates" directory hierarchy and presence of non related files in the build. It's advised to either uninstall it or remove the installation "templates" directory content before updating.

Complete Change Log :

sIBL_GUI - 3.1.3 :
  • Templates have now options to define different light types : "Area", "Directional", "Point", "Spot", etc ...
  • "Search Database" component "In Tags Cloud" method is now case sensitive.
  • Fixed a remaining issue in "Search Database" component and empty Ibl Set attributes in the "In Tags Cloud" method.
  • Fix Windows building file to prevent incorrect "templates" folder hierarchy.

Enjoy !

KS

Old 02 February 2011   #35
Im sure Im doing something wrong. I receive this error when trying to send to 3dsmax:

I added the ms scripts cited in the original post in the scripts>startup folder. Past this I think I might be missing a crucial step

Old 02 February 2011   #36
Hi Shane !

Sorry for the delay TZ issue ^^

The error you receive is about win32com not finding the class I call in sIBL_GUI to communicate with max. It's most likely you didn't registered the OLE Server or it failed. You need to do that as an Administrator. The helper that you installed has a button for this : "Register OLE Server". Let me know if it's ok !

KS

Old 02 February 2011   #37
Thanks for the help

It wasnt clear to me that I had to run a command to open the max helper

Old 03 March 2011   #38
I feel dumb asking this, but for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to "install" this, or make it work in max. I downloaded the file "3dsMax_MR_Stardard.sIBLT". But I can't double click it to launch it, and I can't drag/drop it onto max to make it work. I have clicked on the multitude of links in this thread, and elsewhere, but I feel like I am missing a basic step-by-step installation for "dummies" type setup. I have zero knowledge of programing, and what a lot of these terms are being used in all the different threads/links, but this looks like an outstanding tool to use in Max!

FYI: I am using 3ds Max 2010, on a Win7, 64bit system. Any help/step-by-step for dummies instructions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Andrew

Old 03 March 2011   #39
i think you don't need to install anything in max, just specify what rendering engine and software are you gonna use and create the export file, that will create a maxscript file that you can drag and drop on the viewport and that will import everything into the scene ( hdri, lights, etc ) im not in front of max now but that is what i used to do ( for vray at least ) hope that helps

Old 03 March 2011   #40
Originally Posted by metamesh: i think you don't need to install anything in max, just specify what rendering engine and software are you gonna use and create the export file, that will create a maxscript file that you can drag and drop on the viewport and that will import everything into the scene ( hdri, lights, etc ) im not in front of max now but that is what i used to do ( for vray at least ) hope that helps

See, I am lost already! Where am I specifying the render engine and software to create an export file? I can't even get the original downloaded file to do anything.

I did find these instructions, which seemed to install a helper setup, but I can't get it to work from here:

Link Text below from link:

sIBL_GUI For 3dsMax - Helper Script -

- Installation -
Extract and copy the "sIBL_GUI_For_3dsMax.ms" and "sIBL_GUI_For_3dsMax_OLE_Command.ms" maxscripts to your "3dsmax/Scripts/Startup" folder.
The "sIBL_GUI_For_3dsMax_OLE_Command.ms" will automatically register the sIBL_GUI OLE command.

- Usage -
The Helper Script is a 3dsMax Utility available by typing "openUtility sIBL_GUI_For_3dsMax" in the MAXScript Mini-Listener or directly through the Utilities Tab -> MAXScript -> Utilities -> sIBL_GUI_For_3dsMax.
If you want to use the Remote Connection capabilities of sIBL_GUI you need to register ( only once ) the OLE server using the "Register OLE Server" utility button ( 3dsmax need to be run as an administrator to access Windows Registry ).
Using the "Send To software" button in sIBL_GUI should trigger 3dsMax Loader Script execution.

- About -
sIBL_GUI For 3dsMax by Dschaga, Jeff Hanna and Thomas Mansencal - 2008 - 2010
sIBL_GUI by Thomas Mansencal - 2008 - 2010
Copyright (C) 2008 - 2010 - Thomas Mansencal - thomas.mansencal@gmail.com
This Software Is Released Under Terms Of GNU GPL V3 License: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/
http://www.thomasmansencal.com/
Still lost!

Old 03 March 2011   #41
you get no results when typing openUtility sIBL_GUI_For_3dsMax in the max script window? That helped me, because I had the same issue as you, copied the scripts but couldnt do anything from there

you have sIBL_GUI.exe right? That installs sIBL GUI which you use to send the light info to 3dsmax

Last edited by polygun : 03 March 2011 at 09:34 PM.

Old 03 March 2011   #42
Edited.

Got it really close, now I am being told "Mental Ray Production Shaders are not available"...

Getting closer!

Edit 2:

Okay, has to do with this from the original post in this thread, but I am not exactly clear how to both "back up the originals", nor edit in the new ones...

Production Shader Files

To use Mental Ray template you will need unhidden Productions Shaders, I have uploaded the edited ".mi" files ( Don't forget to backup the original ones ) :

Mental Ray Edited Production Shaders Files : Production Shader Files

Last edited by KingOfTheBumps : 03 March 2011 at 10:38 PM.

Old 03 March 2011   #43
Go It! Steps Here:

Okay, I finally got it! Here are the step-by-step instructions I had to go through, so others can use this as a guide!

Step 1
If you have Max 2010 or earlier, you need to unhide the production shaders. Follow the instructions here but don't try to manually put in the #'s, just highlight everything here open the shader in notepad as directed in the first ink, hit control A to highlight the current, then paste everything from the second page.

If you have Max 2011 or later, you can ignore this step (Step 1).

Step 2
Download and install the sIBL_GUI.exe from here:
http://www.kelsolaar.hdrlabs.com/sIBL_GUI/Repository/Builds/Windows/Stable/3.5.0/sIBL_GUI.exe

Step 3
Then, download the 3ds Max helper script:
https://github.com/KelSolaar/sIBL_GUI_For_3dsMax

And install following these instructions (also available on the above page):

- sIBL_GUI For 3dsMax - Helper Script -

- Installation -
Extract and copy the "sIBL_GUI_For_3dsMax.ms" and "sIBL_GUI_For_3dsMax_OLE_Command.ms" maxscripts to your "3dsmax/Scripts/Startup" folder.
The "sIBL_GUI_For_3dsMax_OLE_Command.ms" will automatically register the sIBL_GUI OLE command.

- Usage -
The Helper Script is a 3dsMax Utility available by typing "openUtility sIBL_GUI_For_3dsMax" in the MAXScript Mini-Listener or directly through the Utilities Tab -> MAXScript -> Utilities -> sIBL_GUI_For_3dsMa
http://www.thomasmansencal.com/
If you want to use the Remote Connection capabilities of sIBL_GUI you need to register ( only once ) the OLE server using the "Register OLE Server" utility button ( 3dsmax need to be run as an administrator to access Windows Registry ).
Using the "Send To software" button in sIBL_GUI should trigger 3dsMax Loader Script execution.

Step 4
Launch the sIBL_GUI. You will be prompted that "Database is Empty, Would You Like to Add Some Sets?". Click Yes! From here I can't remember my exact steps (sorry)..I will edit this section if anyone can put them in!

Hope the above is somewhat helpful, and that I did not mess up any of the steps! Please advise if I have, and I will fix this post!

Andrew

Last edited by KingOfTheBumps : 03 March 2011 at 01:58 AM.

Old 03 March 2011   #44
Sounds like perfect Andrew Thanks for that !

KS

Old 03 March 2011   #45
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Kel Solaar: Sounds like perfect Andrew Thanks for that !

KS

Absolutely! Really, I am the one who should have thanked you earlier in this thread for getting this thing built and out to us all! So thank you! I am looking forward to playing with this tool and incorporating into my workflow very soon!

Andrew

reply share thread