WIP Wave generator

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2009   #16
Nice one! I'm go to follow the developments of this aswell!

Old 11 November 2009   #17
VERY cool indeed...

Can the foam-shader be used with other objects as well? I'm thinking a simple plane with a displacement-map.

Old 11 November 2009   #18
Not in the first version, but later yes.
Right know, it's using an elevation information to create the mask

Old 11 November 2009   #19
FFT and Max script will be very slow

this is looking good guys well done , do you mean fast Fourier transform ? I needed an FFT algorithm for I audio script a wrote but in max script this would take a very long time to process so I ended up doing it in C++ and got the script to call the program. I would say if you need to do anything like FFT use the max SDK and write it in C++ as a plugin if you can.

anyway good work and keep at it guys

My Website

Old 11 November 2009   #20
Very cool...

We will follow this as well.
What about objects like Shorelines, boats etc?

Thanks,
David

www.dustinforensics.com

Old 11 November 2009   #21
Good stuff. The Shader tests look promising. With regards to foam, it's really easy to forget the reasons we have foam on waves. It's quite typical for people when working on CG effects to think, oh well, I'll use a gradient ramp, with foam at the top so only the top waves will have foam on. Which is the wrong way to think about it.

I spend a LOT of my time out on/in the water when I'm not working, So I have some extensive first hand knowledge of what causes waves, foam, rapids, current, eddies, stoppers, hydraulics etc...

First off, Waves can be really rough and steep and have no foam on them, Foam is caused by collisions, collisions caused by direction and gravity. Instead of thinking as waves as going up and down with amplitude, think of them as things moving sideways, as a wave builds it remains 'green', by this I mean it has no foam on it, we refer to the foam as the 'white'. It's only when the top of the wave overtakes the bottom of the wave you get an overhang of water, it's at this point that gravity starts to rip the water and traps air between 'layers' of water and you start to get foam, it's apon coliding with the water below it that foam builds up to big white water because of the air and leaves a trail behind it, this trail gradually fades off as the air trapped by the falling water, surfaces and dissapates.

The other type of foam is caued when to waves moving turbulently towards each other collide, the collision causes the foam.

So to make realistic looking water, you've really got to get the foam right. It's always been a mission to get it working correctly, we've always had to use texturemaps, videos, and a lot of compositing. Steve Green did some amazing work with some texturemaps, a plugin that could replicate this with a procedural texture would be awesome, get it working to match the geometry of the water surface and you're onto a winner. If you can get it spawning particles for foam etc will look even better!

Old 11 November 2009   #22
Originally Posted by Dmaxer: this is looking good guys well done , do you mean fast Fourier transform ? I needed an FFT algorithm for I audio script a wrote but in max script this would take a very long time to process so I ended up doing it in C++ and got the script to call the program. I would say if you need to do anything like FFT use the max SDK and write it in C++ as a plugin if you can.

anyway good work and keep at it guys

yes, i was speaking about the Fast Fourier Transform. Unfortunately I've no knowledge of c++. f....k

Originally Posted by ddustin: What about objects like Shorelines, boats etc?
we're already thinking about it

Old 11 November 2009   #23
U're right David.

I know our foam positons are wrong. We're currently trying to make right, using procedurals.

Old 11 November 2009   #24
Maybe something like this:
http://www.mankua.com/stress.php
can be useful. I once did some nice foam creation with this plugin.

Old 11 November 2009   #25
Wow, great work so far!!! Lately I've been playing with Charle's ocean wave generator script for a project I'm working on. Can't wait to try your plugin out when your ready! Shader test looks great as well!! Really top notch work. Very interested in seeing how this develops!

HannesJ, that's a great links, thanks for sharing! As Charel's waves use compression in a natural way I will have to see what kind of foam I get going with the stress map.

Old 11 November 2009   #26
Cheers Dave,

I haven't done much ocean stuff in a while, and my foam was dirty filthy cheatin' but it kind of worked.

Yeah, if someone could do a procedural foam that looked photoreal, that would be very funky...

- Steve

Old 11 November 2009   #27
Another nice script for max.

Lately I have been seeing a ocean stuff a lot by different people.

fr-ocean object in final render, that famous plugin for ocean wave generator and here is also another one from David Lanier. Though I didn't get much time to test that plugin yet. But it's nice too.

Also I read somewhere the guy who worked on 2012 in scanline created "natural shaders" and it also contains shader for ocean which he might release too? though I am not sure, I have seen his website before but I don't remember much now.

Old 11 November 2009   #28
I know David Lanier's, I'm one of his beta testers, but it has nothing to do with it.
I saw that the new FR have a new ocean object. They have an ocean shader as well.

We will see how far we can go with this script.

Old 11 November 2009   #29
In my opinion it is necessary to use several methods together to create convincing foam. The plugin I mentioned before together with altitude and slope dependant emission could look quite good, even if it's only fake.
Another very important thing is that the foam texture needs to be distorted by the water motion in EVERY direction, not only in the z-axis. That means the mapping of some kind of a foam pattern should be BEFORE the distortion of the plane. Otherwise it would look like a slide projected onto the water surface.

Old 11 November 2009   #30
Originally Posted by ivanisavich: Yea I've been meaning to try the Tessendof method myself, although I've gotten a little lost in the math.

If you're not using Tessendorf's method, I'm surprised at your results! They are very nice and look quite similar.

Quick question: I've noticed the "Render Settings" option in your UI. Just wondering....how were you able to get maxscript to make changes to the geometry only a rendertime?

He said he's using a plane -- it has an option for render density.

Thread Closed share thread