Free procedural building generator: Building Generator v.01

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 09 September 2009   #61
What a fantastic script!!! Thanks a lot! Can't wait to have the texture thing fixed. Btw, the script also works with Max 8.

Old 09 September 2009   #62
This is a fantastic tool! Now I will be able to populate my scenes with lots of buildings.

I just made a small demo video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OJiv4ErWr0

It will show how to use the plugin.

Old 09 September 2009   #63
New Version!

Grab it while it's hot!

http://tysonibele.com/Main/BuildingGenerator/buildingGen_v02_02.mse

Biggest difference about this version from the last is that this one is ****ing fast

New features:

-"Quick Build" function for windows. This can be enabled or disabled. Basically, what this does is....instead of re-building windows for every iteration of the script, it builds a few...caches them....and then uses them to construct the rest of the building. You can set a value to determine how many windows are manually generated before the cache is used. The lower the value, the less time it takes to generate a building however...you'll see repeating patterns of similar window configurations on the building. A good value I've found is about 5....and you'll see an overall speed increase of 40-60%.

-"Quick Build" function for path generation: this is really the coolest feature, I think. It's exactly like the quick build function for windows, only it caches and re-uses whole buildings. So....with the quick build function for path generation turned on, you can specify a number of buildings to manually generate and then the rest will simply be cached versions of those chosen at random.

If you have this turned on (combined with the quick build function for windows), this can change the amount of time it takes to generate dozens of buildings along a path from 10-15 minutes to a few seconds. (it's good to keep "redraw views" off when doing this)

For both window and path quick building, the object in the cache that is chosen is random, so if you set the quick build function for path generation to something like 5 or 6, you can instantly populate large areas with a randomized pattern of those 5 or 6 buildings.

-The next addition is the support for shape objects with more than 1 sub-spline. Now you can draw as many subsplines in a shape that you want, and the path tracer will use them all.

This means that combined with both quick build functions, and a shape object that has multiple sub splines....you can literally create a whole city in several seconds. Here is an example of what I mean....this has a window quick build value of 4 (4 variations of windows per buiding) and a path quick build setting of 10 (10 versions of buildings per sim) and this setup only took 12 seconds to generate!:

-Building elements are now better color-coded

-Building elements are now named properly (wall, ledge, door, etc)

-Buttons added to randomize all values or change them to default

-Adding a checkbox allowing user to specify whether or not to randomize detail checkboxes during path generation (as opposed to simply randomizing values). This way, not all buildings will have the same details

-Progressbar added to keep track of status during path generation

-Balcony and Railing geometry now cached and re-used instead of re-created during each iteration of the sim (this increases sim speed too)

Fixes:

-air conditioner checkbox not enabled when no windows enabled

-fixed cornerpillars protruding through ledges

-fixed scaling issue when "combine meshes" is turned on (this should fix the MR proxy problems)

-fixed bug with the pivot alignment of preview boxes

-fixed size/scaling issue of preview boxes

-preview boxes now overwrite old ones so that when you click preview only one set of preview boxes are generated

-fixed floating roof problem that was occurring sometimes

-fixed bug where railings would get deleted when "combine meshes" was on

-fixed bug where minibuildings would be too large for the roof they were on

-fixed bug where skylights would be placed on roof incorrectly if bevel was set to inverted

Old 09 September 2009   #64
Wow!! Cant wait to try it on.
Thanks a bunch Tyson.

Photos

Flickr

Old 09 September 2009   #65
Thank you.

Old 09 September 2009   #66
Just had a go at it, damn fast and really great results, very impressive.
I was just wondering, dunno if has been mentioned, it would be great if it would create Material IDs and assign a Multi/Sub-object with all the materials.

Photos

Flickr

Old 09 September 2009   #67
I was just wondering, dunno if has been mentioned, it would be great if it would create Material IDs and assign a Multi/Sub-object with all the materials.

This is next on the list

I have plans to have an auto-material setup as well, with varied version of different shaders like concrete, glass, metal etc so you'll literally click one button and your building will be fully textured

Everything will be organized through MatIDs as well so you can easily replace/change textures for a set of objects.

Old 09 September 2009   #68
Sweet dude and thanks for the amazing effort.
Building Generator + Rayfire is gonna be lot of fun

Photos

Flickr

Old 09 September 2009   #69
Nice update, you sure got ninja coding speed!

I noticed the floors dont have any internal walls, some simple blocks would be nice for when looking inside a building, even stairs maybe? Have you tried the mental-ray proxies for creating entire cities?

Keep up the good work!

btw: this is like greeble on steroids http://images.google.nl/images?hl=n...F-8&sa=N&tab=wi

Old 09 September 2009   #70
Great work here Tyson. Thank you for sharing this.

I think it should be useful if the script could create regular architectures with aligned windows and balconies.
Only smaller non-architectural details (Ex.conditioners) are completely random in most of real buildings.

Old 09 September 2009   #71
Originally Posted by ivanisavich: Hey Matt,

I think I've figured out what the MR problem was and have fixed it (the fix will be in the next release, which is coming out soon). It was an issue with the scale of the buildings generated, when "combine mesh" is turned on.

Once the next version is out it would be cool if you could confirm that the problem is solved though, since when I tried to replicate it I was getting slightly different results (normals weren't black....the mr proxy simply wouldn't render, and it wouldn't dispaly in the viewport properly).

Good fix Tyson,

is all ok... for now, but today I don't have more time for test :(... so... I did this try with combine mesh, group, proxie and complete geometry.

I read new fix and study features and when I find time I test it (and maybe I send you some file)...

Mat

VFX | CG Artist
available for freelance jobs
www.art2upz.com

RnD | Simulation Reel July 2014
3D Generalist Reel Winter 2012

Old 09 September 2009   #72
Tyson... PLEASE, study a good way for optimize geometry... 10 palace = 1.481.768 poly... i test to apply modifier optimize and ProOptimizer from max now...

Mat

VFX | CG Artist
www.art2upz.com

Old 09 September 2009   #73
Originally Posted by MatteoM: Tyson... PLEASE, study a good way for optimize geometry... 10 palace = 1.481.768 poly... i test to apply modifier optimize and ProOptimizer from max now...

Mat

Well if you have a lot of objects, there's going to be a lot of polys! There's not much I can do about optimizing geometry when everything is already optimized as it is. All the geometry in the buildings is extremely lowres, but it adds up when you've got tons of details enabled. The biggest contributors to the poly count are windows and balconies. If you've got lots of buildings being seen from a distance, for example, disable window generation and instead use textures.

Old 09 September 2009   #74
WOW!

coolest thing i've seen for quite a while,
Hats off!, good job, cant wait to try this out

Cheers,

K.

Old 09 September 2009   #75
Originally Posted by ivanisavich: If you've got lots of buildings being seen from a distance, for example, disable window generation and instead use textures.

It's a good way in all-case (with or without plug-in)... I try to test the limit with all details ...

Now work well withproxie another solution is they for create a big city.

Mat

VFX | CG Artist
www.art2upz.com

reply share thread