Share your 3dsmax Secrets

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 08 August 2004   #61
By right click on the time slider you can keyframe your selected objects. A pop-up box allows you to specify a move, rotate, or transform key.

Old 08 August 2004   #62
We can do better than this

There are so many things to do within max! for example build volumetric clouds, path and loft deformations, rendering technics, lighting with the default lights, shadows tips, character rigging, dynamics with reacto's tools, cloth, texture treatments, mental ray, particles, video post, camera mapping, camera match, uvwrapping, fog in the distance, depht of field, and I could never stop suggesting what we could talk about instead of the keyboard!

We should give a reward for the best tips, because NOBODY ever stops learning.

C'mon guys!

Last edited by Climax : 08 August 2004 at 09:13 AM.

Old 08 August 2004   #63
Get a good book or magazine for the rendering. You can only make tea so many times, and when you render long times... a book can save you from boredom.

Old 08 August 2004   #64
Reactor - Example, you built a wall and the bricks seem to be floating on top of eachother (there is a gap between all of them). A solution to this is to make a proxy mesh.
A proxy mesh is a substitute mesh used for calculations, somewhat like a stunt double.

If you make the proxy mesh smaller in all dimensions by half the collision tolerance distance you should no longer have gaps.

This is because the gap is in fact the collision tolerance distance, so if brick A and B are half that distance larger than their proxy counterparts you negate the gap.

Lighting - How to make shadow-only lights.
- Make light A, set it up the way you want it to. Turn on shadow casting.
- Duplicate it on the exact same spot. You might want to link/group A and B together if you're going to move them.
- Give B a negative multiplier. So if A has 1,2 you give B -1,2.
- Turn off shadow casting for B.

You now have one light casting shadows while the light from both lights is being cancelled out (-1,2 + 1,2 = 0). Note that in 3D there doesn't need to be light in order for there to be shadows.

- Rens

Old 08 August 2004   #65
- After finishing any object modeling and BEFORE Linking to any part, apply reset XForm( in utilities) to prevent alignment changes.

- spacing tool\ snapshot are really great to duplicate things along a path \ animation.

- if u need to scatter manually on a surface, select edges and then "create shape from selection", and apply the spacing tool.

- since the roller is used for zoom in/out, use ' [ ' and ' ] ' keys for group closing and opening.

Old 08 August 2004   #66
Learn from other programs

•I've been trying Maya 6 and i found many great things that i though Max wouldn't do, so i said "damn! Max can't do this or this" but then, went back to max and i reallyzed that i t was because there were some things that i never saw usefull, because i didn't understand how to apply them, so using maya i discovered that the problem was me, who didn't "see" several option or combinations within max

•I am not trying here to say wich is the best because is it up to the artist who use it, my point is that i personally learned many things i didn't know of Max from Maya ( funny huh?)

•There are many many things to discover no matter wich software u use at the end is the ability to use the right tools the key to do great pieces of art

•It is impossible to start learning what you think u allready know, so everyday learn something new and don't let your ego speak for you

•I guess that is my "Max Secret" for today

So happy learning, modelling, texturizing, animating, rendering or whatever

The Climax

Old 08 August 2004   #67
Lightbulb --->Tipseeeeee!

HELLO!

A Tip from me too. I havent read all the posts so might be that someone else might have also posted it Or they might be known already cause its basic stuff.

(1). I usually freeze my reference images in the scene...............Yeh they gray out but turn off the "show frozen in gray".

(2). (Just an info) when a material is assigned to an object the color picker on the modify panel is then the color of the edges. Gives a cool look when u have it black and some gray material assigned to the object for modelling.

Old 08 August 2004   #68
recorded action buttons

with the maxscript listener open (F11) and making shure macrorecorder>enable is on. highlight the text and drag it into a toolbar eg. Extras. then you can create at the touch of a button, anything thats been recored.

example:
open the maxscript listener (F11) the bits we want are in the pink area, uptop.
creare a sphere and change some of the settings: hemisphere, slice, to-from.

you'll then get the following :

Sphere radius:150 smooth:on segs:44 chop:0 slice:off sliceFrom:0 sliceTo:0 mapCoords:on recenter:off pos:[0.578125,183.586,0] isSelected:on
$.hemisphere = 0.25
$.slice = on
$.sliceFrom = 50
$.sliceTo = -50

highlight that and drang it into a toolbar when you click the button, what you have recorded will be generated, always in the same spot though. if you right click the button>edit buttons apperance, you can give it a unique name. I saw this used with bones and adding multiple spring position controllers to them.

great tip list so far

Old 08 August 2004   #69
great secrets thus far, keep em up!

Old 08 August 2004   #70
When your selecting, hiding or freezing objects by name, you can press the * button before the name and it will select any objects with that name anywere in it.
You can also stack them to get a more specific name by having multiple *'s. like *bolt*nut... This would only select an object that has both bolt and nut in its name.

for example.
if you type *bolt
it will select objects named:
-engineblockbolt
-nutsandbolts
-gasketbolt
exc....

Old 08 August 2004   #71
Originally Posted by JayCMiller: with the maxscript listener open (F11) and making shure macrorecorder>enable is on. highlight the text and drag it into a toolbar eg. Extras. then you can create at the touch of a button, anything thats been recored.

example:
open the maxscript listener (F11) the bits we want are in the pink area, uptop.
creare a sphere and change some of the settings: hemisphere, slice, to-from.

you'll then get the following :

Sphere radius:150 smooth:on segs:44 chop:0 slice:off sliceFrom:0 sliceTo:0 mapCoords:on recenter:off pos:[0.578125,183.586,0] isSelected:on
$.hemisphere = 0.25
$.slice = on
$.sliceFrom = 50
$.sliceTo = -50

highlight that and drang it into a toolbar when you click the button, what you have recorded will be generated, always in the same spot though. if you right click the button>edit buttons apperance, you can give it a unique name. I saw this used with bones and adding multiple spring position controllers to them.

great tip list so far

Great tip Jay. I knew the listener bit, but I never knew you could just drag it yo the toolbar! Countless hours will be saved!

Old 08 August 2004   #72
Great post.

I changed the lock selection keyboard shortcut (spacebar) for the Nurms toggle, very handy when modeling, your smoothed model is just a tumb of distance...

ctrl+shift+s = save as... dialog (like photoshop)
numpad + = incremental save
alt+| (the button youve got left to the 1)= meshtools quad menu

Old 08 August 2004   #73
Try this:

Drag you left mouse button(transform/rotate/scale or any other function that require you to do so), while still holding the left mouse button, click on the right mouse button, it will cancel the operation. Its very handy to me.

Hope you guys get what I mean, kinda hard to explain, you need to experiment it yourself.

Keep up the TIPS!

Old 08 August 2004   #74
Web Browser

• You can open the Asset Browser in one of your view panels and open a tutorial online so you can work on it without minimizing Max! or also open an image you need to see while working.

• Use Link constrain to parent an object to another for a desired period of time, for example a character picking a ball from the floor and throwing it to another character who catch it and runs away (edit when and what in the motion panel)

• You can Animate a hole in a mesh with a spline using shape merge cookie cutter option of the coumpound objects panel (example a projected mouth in a character)

• When in sub object mode select vertex, polys or whatever and make them a "named selection set " to create clusters

• If you have a hierarchy and want to modify transform of the parent object only, select " Don't affect children" in the Hierarchy panel

• You can easily send a $ 1,000.00 check to Climax for giving you all those great tips

The Climax

Old 08 August 2004   #75
if you work with multiple objects or work with detailed scenes you can isolate objects to increase viewport speed very quickly. To do this select the object(s) and press alt-Q. You will go into isolation mode and a button appears in your viewport to exit the mode. VERY Handy! I use it all the time.

reply share thread