Cloth Modifier: Making a rope function like a rope...?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

3 Weeks Ago
Cloth Modifier: Making a rope function like a rope...?

Got a character who will be sliding down a rope; for the life of me, I cannot make it function like a rope.
It goes bunches up, it stretches, it goes flying all over the place; I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I've tried cranking and under-cranking just about every value there is, but nothing works.
I've tried making the character's hand as loose as possible while not letting go, but it still bunches up under his fist.
I've tried making everything as slick as possible to make it slide through, but that doesn't help; increasing the friction doesn't help, either.
I've tried increasing the plasticity, to no avail; it still bunches up and stretches.

How the Hades do I make a rope act like a stinkin' rope???

Is Cloth just the wrong modifier to use? If so, how do I have a character interact with a rope-like object without doing it all manually? Is the rope just plain too low-poly? Is that it?

3 Weeks Ago
Its incredibly time consuming but you can make a rope using first principles. You use the shitty massFX to create a whole load of dynamic-rigid-body objects that are linked togethervia the ball and socket constraint. Then you create a line and apply a "Spline IK Control" modifier to it. Then the idea is to link the knots/helpers to the dynamic rigid bodies.
The line needs as many smooth/Bezier knots/divisions as there are rigid-bodies that are behaving like bones with physics.
Do a low res test to see if you can achieve a rope like effect and judge whether its worth your time.

MassFX is shitty because it has less functionality than the dated "Reactor" from Havoc it was supposed to replace. Funny how Autodesk doesn't like paying licence fees every year aint it

Last edited by SD3D : 3 Weeks Ago at 05:21 PM.

3 Weeks Ago
I...have no idea what you just said to me.
Never used dynamic-rigid-body objects.

I guess it's off to find a tutorial.

You sure there'z no way to tell Cloth to behave itself?

3 Weeks Ago
I think, though no doubt someone will correct me, that right-clicking in the empty-space on the main-toolbar (top right) and selecting "MassFX toolbar" would help.

3 Weeks Ago
Oh, it's definitely there. Found it. For sure.

It's using itthat I've never done.

Still, thanks.

3 Weeks Ago
You can use Cloth or Mcloth, but you don`t use it directly on the rope-mesh.
Instead you create a polygon-strip wth sufficent subdivisions to deform, use the cloth on it for the dynamics and use SkinWrap to attach the rope geometry to the polygon-strip.
Advantages are that the rope geometry doesnt collapse on itself. Cloth thicknes have to be the diameter of the rope. Makes sense?

3 Weeks Ago
If, by "polygon-strip", you mean a plane object, then I think I followed this, yes.
Haven't used SkinWrap before, but I can probably figure it out from the Help files much easier than I could MassFX.

I'll try it. Thanks.

3 Weeks Ago
I have put together a scene for you to look at. It`s saved in 2015 format. It`s the earliest version i can save:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B...VTF1bXdDTWhKRkU

3 Weeks Ago
Well, hopefully 2013 will still open it.

Thank you.

3 Weeks Ago
Alas, no. It won't load.

Thanks, tho.

3 Weeks Ago
Ah, sorry about that. But still the concept is clear, i hope?

Also, if you also wanna follow the MassFX idea of SD3D, then there is this nice tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ft-czIAPXOQ

3 Weeks Ago
Clear...I think so.
Working...not really; for some reason, the plane object and the rope object both disappear at some point during the simulation. No idea why.

Still thanks for the video tutorial; if I cannot make Cloth function, that'll be helpful. Thanks.

3 Weeks Ago
I may've found the problem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeTdljJCw4U

It looks as though, instead of sliding through his hand, the rope is getting snagged on it, and stretching above the fist, which probably accounts for how it gets bunched up and flying upward from below it.

But no matter how I set anything, I can't seem to made it slide through his hand.
I've tried making a very loose fist.
I've tried making the friction settings really low and silk-like, and on the character, as well (making sure to check the box that uses object dynamics).
I've tried setting the rope's width to really, really tiny to see whether that prevents being snagged.
The character is a collision object, and the only group on the rope attaches it to the building, just for info sake.

D'know what else to try.

Last edited by BionicDance : 3 Weeks Ago at 08:56 PM.

reply share thread