Guruware owner takes Ivy Grow down.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

10 October 2017
Originally Posted by JohnnyRandom: People are cheap, or lazy, or both, period. Not all but quite a few. Even companies. It is funny to hear all of the BS excuses people come up with. Why does there have to be a nag screen? Its just peoples entitled BS behavior. The fact is if someone made your life easier and you trully appreciated it, you wouldn’t even think twice about it and have no issues or excuses or whatever spending five minutes of your life to buy them a beer or lunch. 

It's not even a nag screen though is it?

It's something squirreled away on the website, on the plugin itself there's nothing.

I noticed the donation option on maxplugins.de and have done at least a couple of times for Dave.
I can't honestly remember if I've donated to gwIvy or not, or if I even noticed that there was a donation option.

10 October 2017
Originally Posted by mynewcat: Yeah, I realise that.

But I think he's cutting off his nose to spite his face. He has an asset that he could sell and he has many people out there who have paid, or whop didn't insult him by paying a meaningless sum.

I mean, if you look at relink bitmaps by Colin Senner, it has a nah reminder every time you use it, it took a while but eventually I paid - and I use that multiple times a day.

I think a far better solution would be to do like other scripters do these days and that is to have a box come up when you click download that takes you straight to your paypal donation page - I mean, from that point on it takes seconds to throw some money his way.
It might not be worth the time and effort for him to sell it. Again, it doesn't have to be about the monetry value. Not so much a rant as an illustration of disapointment in the "Community". He programs because he enjoys doing it and isn't primarily focused on the money aspect ,but when people insinuate that your work is shit through certain actions and inactions, just maybe he asks the question "Why the fuck do I bother!?"

10 October 2017
- If someone gets a favor from somebody, he should give a favor back.

- if somebody gives something to someone, he shouldn't expect a favor in return.

... if both are sincere...

10 October 2017
Originally Posted by boumay: - If someone gets a favor from somebody, he should give a favor back.

- if somebody gives something to someone, he shouldn't expect a favor in return.

Would you continue to give at personal cost if you thought your work that you gave wasn't apprepiated? If someone gives you a gift, a genuine gift, you dont tell them that it is shit. 

He doesnt mind its distribution or use, but he isnt going to host it at personal cost. The gift still exists.

Also its a free gift but there are people here making all sorts of demands. He should do this, he should do that. Well no. You dont own someone just because you have money. Its like expecting every attractive women to be a prostitute. "Ah, you could make so much money...."

Last edited by SD3D : 10 October 2017 at 05:23 AM.

10 October 2017
right on, exactly how I feel when someone asks me for a discount on a $5 MCG.
First, I could have kept the MCG all to myself...but no, I make it avail to the public either as FREE or an extremely affordable price.
Here's what SOME people read $5 as......WARNING WARING...CHEAP AND NASTY SHIT !!!

So out of the goodness (or stupidity ?) of my heart, some ppl now see the product as 'cheap and nasty'...not only that, when they
want to buy it...they think my time and effort is...........LESS than $5 !!!.....Yeah....why would I bother anymore ?

Helloooooo, if a little script save you an hour....lemme see...that's say $50 the script has saved you ?

And no, I don't expect poor strugglling students to fork out money for plugins...but companies/studios.....cooooooooome on...

Anyway, let's get back on topic about Guruware...I know exactly how it feels to get 0.001 from some jerk as an 'appreciation' of
the time and effort put in...as said...there's plenty of cool MCGs I've done that'll never see daylight...I'll take them with me to my grave..

(and after they's paid $5, they reckon they OWN my soul now....)

Last edited by vusta : 10 October 2017 at 05:53 AM.

10 October 2017
Originally Posted by SD3D: It might not be worth the time and effort for him to sell it. Again, it doesn't have to be about the monetry value. Not so much a rant as an illustration of disapointment in the "Community". He programs because he enjoys doing it and isn't primarily focused on the money aspect ,but when people insinuate that your work is shit through certain actions and inactions, just maybe he asks the question "Why the fuck do I bother!?"
Exactly.. It is kinda strange that I have something fully agree with you .
But, you nailed it.
It is not about money and most of you guys are making the situation worse.

10 October 2017
Originally Posted by boumay: - If someone gets a favor from somebody, he should give a favor back.

He never expect a favor in return. BUT, he doesn't deserve the insult.

10 October 2017
Originally Posted by vusta: (and after they's paid $5, they reckon they OWN my soul now....)
Well said. This is why I never even try to make any paid thing.

10 October 2017
Originally Posted by JohnnyRandom: People are cheap, or lazy, or both, period. Not all but quite a few. Even companies. It is funny to hear all of the BS excuses people come up with. Why does there have to be a nag screen? Its just peoples entitled BS behavior. The fact is if someone made your life easier and you trully appreciated it, you wouldn’t even think twice about it and have no issues or excuses or whatever spending five minutes of your life to buy them a beer or lunch. 

Don't be an arse mate. I made that comment and I did pay.

The point is to try and make it worthwhile for the guy - and nag screens work.

"The" fact is, he got pissed off because not enough people donated - as mentioned before, it's hardly noticeable.
"The" fact is, a lot of the downloads are from curious amateurs who are tinkering. We all know that there are thousands of kids out there who have pirated max and are playing, tinkering and downloadable plug-ins etc. is it really worth getting upset if just one of them happens to pull a stupid stunt and donate 1cent?

Originally Posted by JohnnyRandom: The fact is if someone made your life easier and you trully appreciated it, you wouldn’t even think twice about it and
have no issues or excuses or whatever spending five minutes of your life
to buy them a beer or lunch.

That's why I made this thread - so check out where you're hosing the smugness,

10 October 2017
It seems like he had a problem because of the lack of donations, despite what he says. If you make something free then don't be surprised if you don't get much for it.
It would have been just fine for him to charge a fee like the other guys who have made some cool 3ds Max tools, he probably would have made a considerable amount off it.

10 October 2017
I wonder if he wasn't able to charge a fee because the code was based on Thomas Luft's code?

10 October 2017
*edited
luckily it's a free world (for the most of us at least) and he's free to do what he wants with his plugin(s) for whatever reasons.
I'm sure he's a nice guy and if I were in his shoes I wouldn't like people gossiping about me and my choices in life on the net.

That said,
This plugin made Guruware quite well known name in the max community... Even though he might not have made a direct profit with it but it sure got his name out there.
Some would say that sometimes that is more important/advantageous than a direct profit.... 

Last edited by ACiD80 : 10 October 2017 at 04:55 PM.

10 October 2017
Originally Posted by darthviper107: It seems like he had a problem because of the lack of donations, despite what he says. If you make something free then don't be surprised if you don't get much for it.
It would have been just fine for him to charge a fee like the other guys who have made some cool 3ds Max tools, he probably would have made a considerable amount off it.
Please do not blame him based on your assumption.
I know he did not want/expect money because I have talk with him before.
If he expected any money, he would not have been doing this for 10+ years.

Have you made any paid plugin?
Usually this kinds of small plugin is not worth to make it as paid plugin.
As soon as you make it as paid, people start to demand all kinds of things.
Sometimes support takes far more resource than actual development.
You may think selling this plugin at lets say $30 generate "considerable" money.
In reality, it shows up in ******** within a week.

10 October 2017
Originally Posted by mynewcat: "The" fact is, he got pissed off because not enough people donated - as mentioned before, it's hardly noticeable.
Where is the fact?
I actually have talked with him and I know the money is not a problem. 
That is "The" fact.

WRONG - he got pissed off because not enough people donated
RIGHT - he got pissed off because someone insulted him

Making this about money is insulting him even more.

10 October 2017
Originally Posted by gandhics: Where is the fact?
I actually have talked with him and I know the money is not a problem. 
That is "The" fact.

WRONG - he got pissed off because not enough people donated
RIGHT - he got pissed off because someone insulted him

Making this about money is insulting him even more.
Disclaimer:  People have every right to control access to things they post for free for others to use.
Ghandics you seem to be wondering why people keep bringing money.  It isn't the money. It is the way the take down rant is written and the way people understand that rant through past experience and knowledge of written English and human behavior.  The thing is that if somebody says "I'm taking this offline because you guys are a bunch of rude a-holes" people read it and think it fits with typical experience of human nature and the internet.   If somebody says "You guys are a bunch of rude, cheap, freeloading a-holes.  I'm taking this offline.  But the cheapness and freeloading are totally not part of the reason. It is just the disrespect. Only the disrespect.  Forget I said anything about total donations and hosting." People look at that and wonder why mention those things if they aren't at least part of the reason. It also makes one wonder what amount of remuneration would have been acceptable to balance out the insults from random anonymous internet strangers. Something doesn't fit with what is expected human behavior.  It doesn't fit with the subtext of the rant.  It is the uncanny valley of justification.

reply share thread