Guruware owner takes Ivy Grow down.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

10 October 2017
Guruware owner takes Ivy Grow down.

i looks like the guy who runs Guruware, maker of the famous IvyGrow plugin for 3ds max has taken it down:

http://www.guruware.at/main/

Originally Posted by guruware: This is not a rant, more a clarification:
I was in the process to upload an updated ivy...
out of the blue i received a donation-notification
0.01 Euros <-- a joke?, it wasn't the first one, but... it's the last one
this translates to me as: "fuck off with that useless bullshit"

so i decided not to update it, and removed the current one also, the web is full with BS

you can share the zip-file on any site or torrents or whatever, you can also delete it
there are lots of tutorials on the web, somewhere it was rated as one of the 10 "must-have"-plugins,
google for "guruware ivy" - after 10 pages i stopped clicking "next"
must be useless then

downloaded more than 35.000 times, 17.000 connections per month
the sum of donations in 8 years didnt even cover the domain-cost, which i only have for... you?

and please dont start donating now out of pity, dont need that either
also dont need a beer, i'm not drinking alcohol

remember: this is not a rant, maybe it sounds like, but i can assure you
actuially having fun writing this

now i have more time to do stuff i like,
"keeping up the good work", and play with toys i don't share anymore, at least not for free

thanks to all who have donated more than 0.01 - the "you?" above is not for yo

I mean, I guess it is a bit of a rant - and is a kick in the teeth to people who have donated but I can totally understand where the guy is coming from... so I would urge anyone who has ever used the plugin in any commercial product, or for their portfolio, to donate the guy some cash.

It's a useful plugin that has been around with Max for a while and is part of the landscape.

Personally, I never noticed the donate page, and the guy never really drew my attention to it before, but then I suppose I've only been to the site like 3 times or something.

10 October 2017
Originally Posted by mynewcat: i looks like the guy who runs Guruware, maker of the famous IvyGrow plugin for 3ds max has taken it down:

http://www.guruware.at/main/

I mean, I guess it is a bit of a rant - and is a kick in the teeth to people who have donated but I can totally understand where the guy is coming from... so I would urge anyone who has ever used the plugin in any commercial product, or for their portfolio, to donate the guy some cash.

It's a useful plugin that has been around with Max for a while and is part of the landscape.

Personally, I never noticed the donate page, and the guy never really drew my attention to it before, but then I suppose I've only been to the site like 3 times or something.
He clearly state that he doesn't want any donation.
He also state that there has been only a few donations. So, "is a kick in the teeth to people who have donated" is certainly not a nice things to say.

10 October 2017
Sigh... I know many developers who shared their work and has stopped now because of this kinds of rude users.
You don't complain for the free plugins. Period.
If you don;t like it, just don't use it.

Last edited by gandhics : 10 October 2017 at 04:43 PM.

10 October 2017
Originally Posted by gandhics: He also state that there has been only a few donations. So, "is a kick
in the teeth to people who have donated" is certainly not a nice things
to say.

What are you talking about?

i'm going to chalk both of your replies down to you not having English as a first language.

I'm trying to shine a light onto this subject so people can either a: donate or b: consider donating for any scripts or plugins that they do use, for free. Don't ignore the donate button.

As for it not being "nice" - well, if you have donated in the past and cannot download it now, then I guess, yes, it is irritating.

As for the rest of this:

I don't understand your point, what point are you trying to make?
Originally Posted by s: Sigh... I know many developers who shared their work and has stopped now because of this kinds of rude users.
You don't complain for the free plugins. Period.

10 October 2017
Originally Posted by mynewcat: What are you talking about?

i'm going to chalk both of your replies down to you not having English as a first language.

I'm trying to shine a light onto this subject so people can either a: donate or b: consider donating for any scripts or plugins that they do use, for free. Don't ignore the donate button.

As for it not being "nice" - well, if you have donated in the past and cannot download it now, then I guess, yes, it is irritating.

As for the rest of this:

I don't understand your point, what point are you trying to make?
You said "the plugin" and "the guy" not "any" script or "any" plugin.
"The guy" clearly said "and please don't start donating now out of pity, dont need that either"

Because you have donated before, that doesn't mean that you are entitled to have some right for that plugin.
This plugin is provided as is. and you donated whatever you want to use at that time.
There is no reason to be "irritating",

What's my point? Again...
You don't complain for the free plugins or something freely shared. Period.

10 October 2017
What a pitty. It's important that those who use 'free' tools support the developers in some way. Donating 0.01 in whatever currency can be understood as a dick move, the donator may not even be aware of it but I'd feel the same after giving tools to the community for free.

10 October 2017
Originally Posted by gandhics: You said "the plugin" and "the guy" not "any" script or "any" plugin.
"The guy" clearly said "and please don't start donating now out of pity, dont need that either"

Because you have donated before, that doesn't mean that you are entitled to have some right for that plugin.
This plugin is provided as is. and you donated whatever you want to use at that time.
There is no reason to be "irritating",

What's my point? Again...
You don't complain for the free plugins or something freely shared. Period.

I'm really not complaining - I don't know why are acting like this.

Does acting tone-deaf and condescending come natural to you, or do you have to work at it? I mean, it's amazing how effortlessly you've managed to misinterpret everything I've said and - without pause - try and find a way to put me down about it.

10 October 2017
I'd understand not updating, but taking it down!? That's pitiful. I've done free public work before, and I know how annoying negative and unappreciative feedback can be, but making that control you? That's just dumb. A more mature choice was to make a significant update and make it commercial, or at least stating that working on it is not worth it anymore. Taking it down and ranting about your desire for appreciation is the just sad and low.

10 October 2017
sad news, its a great plugin. I wonder why his other free plugins are still available for download?

10 October 2017
Originally Posted by mynewcat: I'm really not complaining - I don't know why are acting like this.

Does acting tone-deaf and condescending come natural to you, or do you have to work at it? I mean, it's amazing how effortlessly you've managed to misinterpret everything I've said and - without pause - try and find a way to put me down about it.
Because your comment was not helping at all to make situation better.
He ask exactly what he doesn't want to see and he exactly mentioned it is not rant.

10 October 2017
Originally Posted by KaaF: Taking it down and ranting about your desire for appreciation is the just sad and low.
He has every right to do anything he want.
He did not ask "desire for appreciation".

It is users who need to be mature. Not the one who shared this work.

10 October 2017
Originally Posted by gandhics: Because your comment was not helping at all to make situation better.

He ask exactly what he doesn't want to see and he exactly mentioned it is not rant

In your opinion - but I disagree. I think it would be good for people to show their opinions. I also think he was upset and might have wanted some feedback from the community since he took the time to post it online. Obviously he's upset - I personally didn't want to let him stay there without making an effort.

And lastly, this isa forum for discussing 3d max related news. this is news, and we are discussing it.

I just wish you were capable of having a discussion without being so pompous.

10 October 2017
Originally Posted by mynewcat: In your opinion - but I disagree. I think it would be good for people to show their opinions. I also think he was upset and might have wanted some feedback from the community since he took the time to post it online. Obviously he's upset - I personally didn't want to let him stay there without making an effort.

And lastly, this isa forum for discussing 3d max related news. this is news, and we are discussing it.

I just wish you were capable of having a discussion without being so pompous.
I actually want to say thank you for bring this news in here.
I have no problem of discussing this here.
I just don't agree with what you said.
You may think I'mpompous. But, what you said also could bepompous for someone.

10 October 2017
Originally Posted by g: I just don't agree with what you said.

The thing is, I don't even know what you disagree with, like I said before, I think are missing something out as English is clearly not your first language.

I think you have looked for something in what I said that wasn't there, and put 2 and 2 together and come up with 5 - and when presented with that possibility you ignored it.

Yeah, you're being pompus mate.

10 October 2017
Originally Posted by gandhics: He has every right to do anything he want.

And who said otherwise? It's his right to do it, that does not mean he should do it.

Originally Posted by gandhics: It is users who need to be mature. Not the one who shared this work.

Are you asking all people in the world to be mature? That is not happening my friend, there will always be an immature minority of people in this world. That is not a solution, however, ignoring them is, reacting to them like that will just ruin things for the majority of normal people.

reply share thread