3ds Max 2018.3 includes Fluids and more!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

10 October 2017
So...how do I go about adjust the foam material? I can render it as Arnold Points, just cant seem to find where I can edit any attributes other than its size value in the Bitfrost Sim View.

10 October 2017
Originally Posted by nmcelmury: So...how do I go about adjust the foam material? I can render it as Arnold Points, just cant seem to find where I can edit any attributes other than its size value in the Bitfrost Sim View.

You have to create a MultiSub-Material where Liquid goes into channel1 and foam channel 2
All other attributes under Simulation view->Render settings->Foam settings.

10 October 2017
Bifrost is pretty great at large scale scenes, but small scale ones are giving me trouble. I did a seashore scene easily, but just filling a tea cup, not so much. Particles just keep disappearing after they hit the cup even when "Delete Exceeding Particles" is off. If I made the cup 5 meters instead of 5 cm, it works fine, it also works with a cubic container, but not a cup shaped one.

After a ton of experimenting, increasing the "Max Time Step" helped, but it is still getting deleted unless I go pretty high with it and its "Adaptivity", slowing the sim down. Am I missing something? Here it says it might be a bug, is this bug still in max's version?

10 October 2017
From what i heard the maya version is working in meters , while the max version can adapt to different scales.

So i made a test filling up a wine glass. Scale was in cm. I didn`t get any disappearing particles, but it was leaking at first.I had to set voxel size to 0.2,
adaptivity to 1.0 and the time steps to 25/25. It filled up quite nicely. If you said they are dissapearing, are you sure the aren't simply leaking through the cup and then getting killed by a killplane?

10 October 2017
Originally Posted by MGernot: adaptivity to 1.0 and the time steps to 25/25.
Yeah, if setting a high time steps is the appropriate way to do it, then that's fine, cause that's how I solved it. I was asking if there was a way to stop it from disappearing without doing that because it will increasing the sim time, since the solver just deleting particles like that sounds more like a faulty parameter setup than a sim quality one. And yes, I'm sure it's not leaking.

10 October 2017
Originally Posted by KaaF: Yeah, if setting a high time steps is the appropriate way to do it, then that's fine, cause that's how I solved it. I was asking if there was a way to stop it from disappearing without doing that because it will increasing the sim time, since the solver just deleting particles like that sounds more like a faulty parameter setup than a sim quality one. And yes, I'm sure it's not leaking.

If the difference is in the size of the simulation, isnt it possibly also related to the voxel size/resolution then?

10 October 2017
Originally Posted by CHRiTTeR: If the difference is in the size of the simulation, isnt it possibly also related to the voxel size/resolution then?

Nah, just changing the unit from the Bifrost menu fixes it for meter, voxel to container ratio does not change, and I tried going to a small voxel size, did not fix it. Regardless, I'd consider it a solve issue now, thanks for the suggestion everyone.

10 October 2017
Originally Posted by MGernot: You have to create a MultiSub-Material where Liquid goes into channel1 and foam channel 2
All other attributes under Simulation view->Render settings->Foam settings.
Ahhh...this makes sense.
Thanks for the info! I've been struggling to find good documentation for this. The Maya docs are pretty good, but sometimes don't transfer over small details like this very well.

10 October 2017
fairly mundane Splash test scene...
- roughly 1mil particles, assuming particle count remain stable.
- ~40s-50s per frame, might as well round it up to a minute.

So for a typical 100 frame sim, 1mil particles: ~100 mins (just particle sim, no foam, no meshing)

setup: Win7, i7 4770K @4.0Ghz (4C/8T), 16Gb RAM, GTX 1070 (doesn't get used by Bifrost methinks, bummer)

10 October 2017
My tutorial on Water pour in glass using max Fluids.

10 October 2017
Yes it was my geometry it was very bad.

Moving on. Sorry. Thanks

Last edited by sdeters : 10 October 2017 at 09:59 PM.

10 October 2017
A random splash test:

I wonder if there is a way to make the mesh on the ground stick to it instead of just beading and sliding.

10 October 2017
Would usingthe surface tension do anything for you?

10 October 2017
Originally Posted by sdeters: Would usingthe surface tension do anything for you?

It is on, it's pretty important to have the water "sheet" look instead of the Swiss cheese holes one, but for the stickiness, not a thing. It's more of a meshing problem than a sim one I guess.

3 Weeks Ago
So here's something odd I ran into.
I adjusted my setting for meshing with the bitfrost dynamic mesh, and got it to a point where I was happy with.

So I simulated my cache mesh with those settings. But the cache mesh is coming out looking much different?

Looks like it's taking whatever the default settings of the mesh sim was and caching with that, and ignoring my changes that I had made in the parameters.

Am I missing a step perhaps?

reply share thread