3ds Max 2018.3 includes Fluids and more!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

10 October 2017
Originally Posted by joecoke69: Spat my tea out when i got the email about the update!

Playing around with it this afternoon, i'm getting a lot of pass through by the particles (doing a simple pour into glass sim) and trying to figure which spinner increases the collision detection.
Decreasing voxel size often helps, Under Transport Steps setting the Min value to 4-6 can often correct that as well for faster moving fluids. Say you have a particle traveling in space, with a min sample of 1 in a given distance the voxel could pass through your collider. If you sampled it's location in space 6 times for that given distance it is less likely to pass through the collider.

You can try setting Min Time Steps higher or you can also set Max Time Steps higher and increase adaptivity so it can adaptively change between the min->max
M&E Division Beta Administrator
Autodesk, Inc

10 October 2017
Also, scale is really important to have correct...
M&E Division Beta Administrator
Autodesk, Inc

10 October 2017
Thanks Kelly, i'm comparing sims now on scale. Looks like for small scale stuff (wine pour into glass) mm seems to work better than cm.

10 October 2017
@joecoke69
You can also try turning off "delete exceeding particles" (by default it's checked). In my test (bellow) I had particles disappear, and I didn't had water volume at all, until I turned that option off.
------------------------

Anyone will share some tests?
Her is mine first test.
I've tried faking foam by rendering small planes in scanline with velocity channel that drives their size (bigger velocity, bigger particle).
That didn't turned out very well, but anyway, here's the test.

here is the direct link:https://youtu.be/nBwuLvcH9ys
-------------------

Question:
- I can't figure out how to clone solver and cache. I want to be able to simulate once, and then to clone that solver, and render one solver as a water mesh, and second solver as a particles (spheres, boxes, planes....). However, when I clone solver, cache refuses to load. I've tried manually find cache, but still, it won't load.

Cheers to all.

Oh.. and btw,. this guy have some cool tests:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y77mRBHO88k

Last edited by d4rk3lf : 10 October 2017 at 09:42 AM.

10 October 2017
don't paste the WHOLE url of your toobe video...just the last bit....identifier...(nBwuLvcH9ys)

10 October 2017
Thanks mate.
Fixed it.

10 October 2017
if you use Emitter as Container mode, say you use an open top box, you'll notice that
it has voxels 'carved' out in the centre......odd...possibly some optimise algo...

What you have to do is to 'cap' the box, then the volume of liquid would then be 'full'

10 October 2017
I've noticed that, when trying out a dropped sphere into a swimming pool.

btw - if working in mm gravity should have its decimal point moved 2 digits shouldn't it? 9.8=meters 0.98=cm 0.098=mm

10 October 2017
Any ideas how to acheive a really smooth finish? I want to cover this sphere in paint but end up a perfect sphere.

I'm trying adding an outer sphere to squanch the paint as it flows around, but its either blocking the liquid or not close enough to squish.

10 October 2017
Maybe try relax modifier.
Also, in the mesh creation options you have smooth parameter

10 October 2017
that smoothing spinner seems to do nothing, however relax does a pretty decent job.

thanks.

10 October 2017
Originally Posted by joecoke69: Any ideas how to acheive a really smooth finish? I want to cover this sphere in paint but end up a perfect sphere.

I'm trying adding an outer sphere to squanch the paint as it flows around, but its either blocking the liquid or not close enough to squish.

This might help:
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/supp...5D1BA4-htm.html
Search for "smooth", there are multiple parameters affecting it.

Originally Posted by joecoke69: btw - if working in mm gravity should have its decimal point moved 2 digits shouldn't it? 9.8=meters 0.98=cm 0.098=mm

Nope, move thedecimal point to the other direction: 9.8 m/s^2 = 980 cm/s^2 = 9800 mm/s^2.

Don't know how Bifrost deals with units, but you'll need to change the density and other material properties if you change the length unit if Bifrost does not do that automatically.

10 October 2017
Auto unit scale option should work well.
Then you don';t need to change gravity value.

10 October 2017
Quick question:
Ive simulated something like lava, and meshed it.
How should I go with texturing?
Is there any way that texture is stretching according to lava movement?

One more:
Is it possible to have one solver and 2 emitters? 2 liquids that I can give different material.

Thanks in advance.

reply share thread