3ds Max 2018.3 includes Fluids and more!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

09 September 2017
3ds Max 2018.3 includes Fluids and more!

#3dsmax 2018.3 includes the most highly requested community feature, fluid simulation, plus more! http://bit.ly/2wZCuYo 

https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/the-3ds-max-blog/introducing-3ds-max-2018-update-3/
M&E Division Beta Administrator
Autodesk, Inc

Last edited by KellyM : 09 September 2017 at 05:13 PM.

09 September 2017
More information here as well!

Best Regards,
Alfred

09 September 2017
It's Bifröst/Naiad - solver wise at least -, it took them 4 years to do it, but it is finally here.

09 September 2017
This isnt getting as much replies as I thought it would...

Anyway, this is great news!

09 September 2017
Wow, this is big news for 3Ds Max. I'm an avid follower of fluid software, and I was wondering how this is going to affect fluid plugins for max. Are people still interested in third party tools for fluids now that max has a native solution? I know of a few people who were thinking of porting or developing a fluid plugin for max.

09 September 2017
Great Job! Thanks!

09 September 2017
Originally Posted by CHRiTTeR: This isnt getting as much replies as I thought it would...

Anyway, this is great news!
Maybe people have moved on - they got tired of waiting and already bought (and invested time in) something like Phoenix, or shifted to Houdini for fluids.

That it's taken that long to implement doesn't instill confidence that further progress on it will be quick.

Add the spectre of the CEO and his 'everything will be in the cloud' and the clobbering of maintenance subscribers.

The last sp for 2018 had 800 bug fixes, maybe people have just stuck with 2016 or 2017?

Take your pick.

10 October 2017
Little off-topic: 
Anyone knows what happens with Glu3D plugin? 
After the GPU support, sims runs pretty nice, but it seems that they stopped developing it after 3DS Max 2013. 
To bad, I've worked with it in 3DS Max 2011, and I liked it. It was, of course, far from realflow, but after the gpu support, I hoped it will develop really fast. 
---------------------

As for this new stuff, I can't wait to try it. I am still using 3DS Max 2014, but my friend have 2018 in his studio. 
I haven't seen in the tutorials videos, but I hope that Particle flow could be used as an emitter. 

10 October 2017
I'm surprised! Bifrost is a standalone app and it took them ages to write a simple plugin for 3ds max. You'd think that if they were going to do it at all, they'd have done it years ago.

However, now that it exists for 3ds max, how does this help existing users? No modular-updates and subscription-only-model makes it the most expensive fluid sim there is and as Steve said, people either have a plugin such as PhoenixFD or a new app entirely.

10 October 2017
Originally Posted by TheLightCommander: Wow, this is big news for 3Ds Max. I'm an avid follower of fluid software, and I was wondering how this is going to affect fluid plugins for max. Are people still interested in third party tools for fluids now that max has a native solution? I know of a few people who were thinking of porting or developing a fluid plugin for max.
Max has built in hair, didn't stop 2 hair plugins being available.

Also It doesn't do smoke/fire which PhoenixFD does, although Phoenix could do with Rigid Body sims within it as well.

It's all good competition.

10 October 2017
Spat my tea out when i got the email about the update!

Playing around with it this afternoon, i'm getting a lot of pass through by the particles (doing a simple pour into glass sim) and trying to figure which spinner increases the collision detection.

Works with vray, which is good...and pleasantly suprised at the prt exporter option, so i can try it out with frost meshing.  Ironicaly which is how i used to mesh my niaiad sims back before it was bifrost.

10 October 2017
Normally increase subdivision or samples per frame

10 October 2017
Originally Posted by joecoke69: Playing around with it this afternoon, i'm getting a lot of pass through by the particles (doing a simple pour into glass sim) and trying to figure which spinner increases the collision detection.

I had the same problem, and as Duncan suggested, increasing "Adaptivity" under "Transport Steps" solved it.

10 October 2017
thanks internet people, it was indeed the adaptivity spinner in transport steps.  I have had zero crashes so far, and i usually find a way to make that happen.  In terms of speed, its not great, i put that down to working within max even though it does seem to be multi threaded!  Which brings me to pflow...will it ever use all my cores?

Now why can't i get motion blur to work with vray?

reply share thread