Has Eddie Perlberg just left 3DS Max?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

02 February 2017
Has Eddie Perlberg just left 3DS Max?

Just saw this on his Facebook.

Quote: Looking forward to my next challenge. Proud of what we have accomplished over the past few years. What a team! Thank you for all of your support.

Christ, they don't last long do they?

02 February 2017
And that post is deleted now. Wha gwan?

02 February 2017
I think development on 3ds max will cease by 2020 and subscribers will be offered Maya as an alternative.

3ds max is not multi-platform.
No one at Autodesk uses the product.
No one at Autodesk has remained engaged on 3ds max long enough to understand it.
3ds max is no longer promoted for games. Maya LT and Stingray are available on Steam.
Maya is promoted heavily in colleges and universities.
Mayas weaknesses were modelling and UI which have both been improved upon year after year. Maya now has "Mudbox" integrated within it and the UI is more 3ds max like.

Autodesk doesn't really have any IP in 3ds max anymore.
Physics based solver: MassFX which is Nvidia. The physx plugins don't work with the old stuff, so you're kinda screwed here.
Hair and fur: Ornatrix, Hairfarm, Vrayfur etc.
Fluids: PhoenixFD and FumeFX.
Particle systems: Cebas Thinking particles
Renderers: Vray, Krakatoa etc
Nurbs: PowerSolids
Essentially 3ds max is now merely an operating-system.

Meanwhile, because Maya is multi-platorm, Autodesk can cozy up to Pixar etc for their PR and AD campaigns and the naive will love them for it.

Are there extensions for 3ds max 2017 yet? A UI for 4K support, a whole load of features you can't use unless you have a CAD CFD solver and a 3d printer.....

"Oh but 3ds max is the most popular...." Doesn't matter. Unless they make 3ds max double-precision and multiplatform, it doesn't have a future and Autodesk won't spend any money on it because the competition for all aspects of its features is too great. It might be shipped with lots of CAD suites, but not many CAD people can use it. It is for this reason that there are independent VFX houses/arch viz/3d-viz/product-viz etc that take CAD drawings and make the media-stuff for them.

I normally get accused of trolling, but not one of the people that complain about what I write can construct a retort in a non-biased debate. they ask for proof that 3ds max is about to die when it is standing on plastic with a gun to its head.

I'd love to be wrong and I eagerly await 3ds max 2018.

Remember the presentation where a journalist asked if Softimage was being EOL (im paraphrasing for all you pedantics) and the Autodesk representative denied it and said it had a great future!?

Last edited by SD3D : 02 February 2017 at 08:37 PM.

02 February 2017
Just saw this bit cross the newsfeed over at Gamasutra

Carl Bass steps down as CEO of Autodesk

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...of_Autodesk.php

02 February 2017
I'm sure there was an extension.

I can't remember what was in it though - some MCG stuff?

Can't seem to find it - think it was named something else...

02 February 2017
Originally Posted by SD3D: "Oh but 3ds max is the most popular...."

No, that literally is the only thing that matters, you utter fool.

If it makes money it makes money - who gives a shot if more cartoons are made with it or more models of plastic dogshit?

And you think no one has come up with a good rebuttal?

Maybe you aren't a troll - maybe your're just an imbecile.

So there's your rebutall and your insult - guess what - they go together.

PS - Eddie's not the only person who left today.

02 February 2017
Honestly, I don't know if 2020 will see the end of Max, and the predicted offer or transition to Maya, but the way that they just stopped doing any kind of meaningful development for my business - especially for Max but also to an extent on Maya, is a killer for me.

While waiting for Max to get better VFX tools like fluids, I got basically ignored or laughed at by AD, while they simultaneously tried to deny they were stifling VFX in Max to differentiate from Maya. But instead of waiting I picked up Houdini Indie.

Net result -- if in 2020 they kill Max, I probably won't even care...when I look at how Bass seemed to care only about two words ("Rental" and "Cloud"), and how the rest of the crew SEEMED passionate but didn't help Max rise anywhere but ArchViz......it's clear that for MY business (so MY opinion only) Houdini is not only better in 80% of the areas I need, but is also clearly on a faster track for development.

02 February 2017
Originally Posted by phloog: ...when I look at how Bass seemed to care only about two words ("Rental" and "Cloud")...

You forgot 3D printing.

02 February 2017
@SD3D
Sigh.... do you have anything better to do?

02 February 2017
Originally Posted by mynewcat: No, that literally is the only thing that matters, you utter fool.

If it makes money it makes money - who gives a shot if more cartoons are made with it or more models of plastic dogshit?

And you think no one has come up with a good rebuttal?

Maybe you aren't a troll - maybe your're just an imbecile.

So there's your rebutall and your insult - guess what - they go together.

PS - Eddie's not the only person who left today.

Well no. 3ds max might be the most popular application, and it might have made a lot of money in the past when perhaps it shouldn't have, but for it to survive, everyone must be using the latest version. The reason Autodesk went rental in the first place was because people weren't buying the latest release every year, or even every other year. The initial rental-price was representative of buying a new seat every 3rd year! How many people are renting 3ds max 2017 onwards and what stops those people from suddenly ditching it for something else? At the current rental-prices, you can buy a perpetual Modo licence in year 1! Zbrush, Marvelous designer, substance etc in year 2!
Also, people with 3ds max 2012 still have access to a lot of the plugins that makes 3ds max current. You could use 3ds max 2012 to create special-effects that wouldn't look dated to today, or even years from now. If you add all the users of 3ds max up, it is the most popular, but if you add all the users of the latest release and compare that figure with other software, it probably isn't.

02 February 2017
Originally Posted by gandhics: @SD3D
Sigh.... do you have anything better to do?

Ironic that you follow me around unaware of the hypocrisy of your comments.

gandhics, "do you not have anything better to do" than to follow me around asking me if I, "have anything better to do"?

Nope! I'm a sad bastard! and you a stupid one. Life is not perfect :-)

02 February 2017
Going by comments on the stack fb group, it's implied that it's Maya that's not really doing the business financially.

I think it was more a case of AD doubling down on things - they slowly reduced the options, increasing prices on upgrades over more than one release, then removing that option entirely, then removing upgrades entirely.

It was all stick and no carrot - I know plenty of people who would upgrade if they could, but AD in their wisdom decided that the way to get people to be current was to give them fewer and fewer options and increase the cost.

02 February 2017
Well...I began on 3dStudio R3 for DOS back in 1990...so while I gripe a lot, I've BEEN loyal and when they went from upgrade pricing to subs I renewed each year...just that in the last several years I've started to feel more and more stupid for staying with it. MCG was okay last release, but the release before that was just pathetic. I think the plug-in architecture was its blessing and its downfall, as AD seemingly decided that they no longer needed to provide competitive functionality if 3PP were going to provide it....but for someone into VFX/film it got to the point where to keep working with Max it costs $600/year whether a new release was worth it or not, then the nightmare period where you waited for plugins to be recompiled, plus bugs...so for your 600 you got a product that you could use fairly safely just before it was time for the next payment/version.

It's still the tool that I find easiest to use, but a lot of that is just practice (though I won't begin to claim that Houdini has a friendlier interface for beginners).

Prices went up a bit in the U.S. but I heard outside the U.S. people really got the shaft.

I LOVE to be loyal to products, but this was the hardest call to renew ever....MAYBE Bass and Perlberg leaving is a good sign...?

02 February 2017
I wonder how much the software is valued at--like if some other company wanted to buy one of their 3D programs from them--it didn't cost a whole lot for them to buy Alias

02 February 2017
Originally Posted by Daf57: Carl Bass steps down as CEO of Autodesk

Can't say I'm sad to hear that.
Here's hoping it doesn't get worse.

reply share thread