Doing a correct mesh plannar

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

04 April 2014
Question Doing a correct mesh plannar

Hello,

I'm trying to "flat" the part of a mesh but I can't seems to find how I have to do it so the same sizes are kept.

I tried with all the different constraints but it's still not what I'm looking for. I drew the result I would like to have on the left (without wacom it's hard )

Thanks for your time.

04 April 2014
Does it have to be accurate?

For a simple form like here you could do it by hand.
Either by eyeing it or rotating around vertices.

You could also use an unwrap uvw and its tools like described here:
http://blip.tv/designreform/3ds-max...eometry-5499474

Maybe even cloth might do the trick with the right parameters. (Not so sure about that, just as an idea. )

04 April 2014
Use a bend modifier to get as close as possible?
And then flatten the mesh on XY plan?

04 April 2014
That's actually a great idea, though you probably had to bend e.g. a plane first, skinwrap the slice to it and then reverse the bend.
(Edit: Just tried it. Works better than I expected if you move the gizmo around a bit, even without the skinwrap part. )

Last edited by Noren : 04 April 2014 at 11:36 AM.

04 April 2014
Thanks for your replies.

It has to be the most accurate as possible in fact...

And the mesh where I have this problem is actually more complex than that sphere, I used that sphere as example to explain what I'm trying to achieve.
I can't rotate the faces like I could do for that sphere part, because on my mesh the edges are rotated in more than one direction (no not that band )

04 April 2014
Then the uvw route might be your best bet. (Have a look at peel and relax besides unfold.)

But maybe there are already scripts or plugins for that kind of things out there?
I don' t know of any, unfortunately.
Or maybe an external program similar to pepakura designer.
(I guess there have to be special programs for sewing patterns. )

Last edited by Noren : 04 April 2014 at 12:15 PM.

04 April 2014
If you need this to be 100% accurate then your best bet would be the flatten tool in the UVW unwrap which can result in one big mess of perfectly planar faces/polys in the worst caes though.

04 April 2014
I know about the UVW unwrap, but how can I "convert" that UV shape to the real mesh ?

When the UV is done, I can only render the UVW template but can't read any measure on it (at least, not on the correct scale).

04 April 2014
Originally Posted by Miniminer: I know about the UVW unwrap, but how can I "convert" that UV shape to the real mesh ?

When the UV is done, I can only render the UVW template but can't read any measure on it (at least, not on the correct scale).

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/uv-2-mesh
http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/uvw-2-xyz

04 April 2014
Hi Miniminer,
were you able to watch the video I linked to earlier in this thread?

04 April 2014
Originally Posted by Noren: Hi Miniminer,
were you able to watch the video I linked to earlier in this thread?
Now i did
Thanks a lot, I will try it out

Edit:
The technique is sadly not working on my mesh :(
I attached the mesh I want to unwrap correctly so you have a better idea. (I saved the file as max 2010, I don't know which version you have)

The blue one is the most correct, it's one I did with pelt mapping, it's still not 'correct' but it's the most correct UV I have atm (if you see what I mean )
Then you have the beige one, it's with the technique you showed (with unfold tool), at first sight it didn't seems ok (because the outer edges should be in a bow / arc, not straight like here).
The red one is the same as the beige one, but with all the clusters stitched together, you can see the overlap on it, which proves the UV was not correct at the beginning.

Thanks for your time

Last edited by Miniminer : 04 April 2014 at 01:43 PM.

04 April 2014
What exactly is it, you are trying to do? What's the end goal, here?

Have you tried peel? (Different from pelt. )

04 April 2014
Originally Posted by Noren: What exactly is it, you are trying to do? What's the end goal, here?

Have you tried peel? (Different from pelt. )

It's actually to made in "reality" and I need the measures of the shapes for the fabric, I know Max isn't the ideal software for this but it's the best we have here atm

It was done with Peel unwrapping (can't seems to find pelt anymore in 3dsm 2012 )

04 April 2014
I'm not sure if fabric would flow exactly like you modeled it. I'd assume it would flatten out more, the farther you get away from the bottom curve.

Peel gives a different, symmetrical result, here in Max 2014.

What you probably need to do is measure out the length of your edge-splines with the measure utility or a script , make sure your flattened mesh matches these measurements and hope for the best.
But stilll, like you said yourself, 3ds max is probably not the tool of choice for doing something like this. Maybe you can use some demo version of a specialized software.
Other than that, the cloth modifier might still be a useful tool.

reply share thread