Old 04-12-2014, 12:37 PM   #1
TekGecko
Explorer
portfolio
Sam Mansfield
London, United Kingdom

Turbosmooth Problem

Hey Guys,

I am working on my first model right now in Max and have run into some trouble where I detached some polys.

I detached the jaw part of my model to add a shell modifier just to get some thickness on the inside and then reattached to the rest of my model.

Unfortunately now when I turbo-smooth it seems to treat the jaw part separately as you can see in the screenshot.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Sam.

Old 04-12-2014, 02:24 PM   #2
musashidan
Bar Stool Enthusiast

portfolio
Daniel McGrath
Dublin, Ireland

Once you detach faces from a mesh they become a separate element, and are no longer connected. The vertices will have to be re-welded. However, because you added a shell modifier, it will be difficult to re-weld without reorganising your topology. To create thickness you can select edges on an open border and hold down shift+left-click drag to create new edges.

It's difficult to tell what's going on in your images. I would suggest completing some basic sub-d modeling tutorials to avoid frustration. There are certain rules that have to be understood and respected when modeling sub-d's or you end up pulling your hair out.

Old 04-12-2014, 02:27 PM   #3
TekGecko
Explorer
portfolio
Sam Mansfield
London, United Kingdom

Hi thanks for your reply. I will probably delete all of the shell faces that were created then weld the original face back to the main mesh and try extruding as you advised.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by musashidan
Once you detach faces from a mesh they become a separate element, and are no longer connected. The vertices will have to be re-welded. However, because you added a shell modifier, it will be difficult to re-weld without reorganising your topology. To create thickness you can select edges on an open border and hold down shift+left-click drag to create new edges.

It's difficult to tell what's going on in your images. I would suggest completing some basic sub-d modeling tutorials to avoid frustration. There are certain rules that have to be understood and respected when modeling sub-d's or you end up pulling your hair out.

reply share thread