Old 01-11-2014, 08:08 PM   #1
metamesh
Expert

portfolio
Alex Huguet
lead Modeller, ILM
Vancouver, Canada

autorig for max reminder

hey guys, I thought I'd post a reminder on the crowfunded 3dsmax autorig project, here:

http://www.kisskissbankbank.com/en/projects/auto-rig

Old 01-13-2014, 09:18 AM   #2
Pacermike
Expert

portfolio
Andrew J Van Dalsem
Senior Animator
Carbine Studios
Santa Ana, USA

This guy only needs 1,500 more to fund this project. For a guy like me who works at small studio without the resources to hire a technical artist/rigger I have suffered with Biped for way too long. CAT remains buggy. Plus, download the sample of this Auto-Rig and I think it's pretty obvious that even if CAT were rock solid this Auto-Rig just feels a million times better. Especially in the hips/spine/shoulder setup. So buttery and easy to get smooth movement with. I think I can easily say this is the best rig I have ever used.

It wouldn't take much to make this thing happen so I really hope some of you will jump in and back this thing. There are so few developments in Max where character animation is concerned and it's so frustrating to see all the amazing tools Maya animators have at their disposal. All it would take is around 30 more backers to get a rig like this in our hands.

If any of you are thinking about it I'm curious what's holding you back or why the project doesn't have more backers, especially since lack of character animation tools is a common complaint in Max? Do most of you not have much need for a Max character rig or already have your own in-house system? Is it too expensive? Is just nobody animating in Max anymore? Do you think it's more an issue of poor promotion? What could he have done differently to reach a larger audience?

Anyway, here's a super quick walk cycle I knocked out with the rig. The only trouble I had was initially the foot IK pivots were at the center of the feet instead of the ankles. I talked to the creator of the rig and he's addressing it. Once I moved the pivots it went really fast. Again, I can't believe how easy the hips/spine/chest is to work with.

There's only 10 days left. I hope this story has a happy ending!

Old 01-13-2014, 11:52 AM   #3
metamesh
Expert

portfolio
Alex Huguet
lead Modeller, ILM
Vancouver, Canada

If i had to guess, I'd say that the problem is both a problem with poor promotion, and less and less people doing character animation in max? I played with the rigs too and I liked them quite a lot too, so it would really be a shame to see this fail..

Old 01-13-2014, 03:19 PM   #4
musashidan
Bar Stool Enthusiast

portfolio
Daniel McGrath
Dublin, Ireland

This is the first time I've seen this rig! Looks like it would be a wonderful addition to the extremely limited amount of Max rigs. I'm very surprised that it hasn't been promoted more aggressively.

It looks very similar to the amazing rig Brad Noble created some years back but sadly stopped updating.

And judging by the poor response to this thread, I would hazard a guess that many people have given up on Max as a serious character animation option due to the neglect suffered in this area over many years.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:55 PM   #5
archaeotect
Expert
portfolio
Ralph Eggers
Freiburg, Germany

Quote:
I'm curious ... why the project doesn't have more backers

well they chose a pretty obscure crowdfunding platform. Even wikipedia never heard of "kiss kiss bank bank", which might make people hesitate to donate.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:06 PM   #6
Coll
Frequenter
portfolio
Samuel Pipes
Freelance Artist
Moncton, Canada

I actually came here looking for a replacement for the sadly-defunct Puppetshop. Does this system work for non-humanoid characters? I'm having a hard time parsing the web page.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:17 PM   #7
Pacermike
Expert

portfolio
Andrew J Van Dalsem
Senior Animator
Carbine Studios
Santa Ana, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by archaeotect
well they chose a pretty obscure crowdfunding platform. Even wikipedia never heard of "kiss kiss bank bank", which might make people hesitate to donate.

Yeah, that could definitely have something to do with it. I'd never heard of that platform before this project either.

Coll, on his project page he shows the rig being used for other creatures like squirrels etc. So it looks like you're not limited to bipeds.

Also, funding's up to 71% since yesterday. That's a good sign.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:18 PM   #8
metamesh
Expert

portfolio
Alex Huguet
lead Modeller, ILM
Vancouver, Canada

I think it does, from what i gathered fro the developer, you can create all sort of characters, not only bipeds

Old 01-13-2014, 10:41 PM   #9
Coll
Frequenter
portfolio
Samuel Pipes
Freelance Artist
Moncton, Canada

And are we sure about the funding site? I've likewise never heard of it

Old 01-13-2014, 11:20 PM   #10
metamesh
Expert

portfolio
Alex Huguet
lead Modeller, ILM
Vancouver, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coll
And are we sure about the funding site? I've likewise never heard of it

I believe is a french site for crowdfunding stuff...i'm guessing is for real

Old 01-13-2014, 11:24 PM   #11
hazmondo
Expert

portfolio
Harry
Rigging TD
Axis Animation
Glasgow, United Kingdom

Hello,

I remember seeing this when it was first posted in the Character Rigger section of the forums and I suggested to the person that they should also post it over on Tech-Artists and on a few LinkedIn groups that I listed and I don't think they did, so certainly their publicity has been a little lacklustre - they've only got a few more days of funding left and YOU had to create a post to remind people about it! I also agree that although I think the funding website is probably safe, it doesn't help that not many people have heard of it.

-Harry

Old 01-14-2014, 01:00 AM   #12
Coll
Frequenter
portfolio
Samuel Pipes
Freelance Artist
Moncton, Canada

Makes you wonder how many other great projects pass by because talented programmers don't necessarily know how to self-promote. I'm double-checking to make sure it can handle the weird multi-limbed creatures I tend to rig before I contribute, but in the meantime is there anywhere else we can post this to spread the word?

Old 01-14-2014, 02:49 AM   #13
Pacermike
Expert

portfolio
Andrew J Van Dalsem
Senior Animator
Carbine Studios
Santa Ana, USA

Quote:
...talented programmers don't necessarily know how to self-promote.

I think you pretty much nailed it with this.

Quote:
...but in the meantime is there anywhere else we can post this to spread the word?

I just made a post on the 11 Second Club forums about the project (my first post there, I hope they go easy on me!). I'm pretty sure it's 99% Maya animators but figured it was worth a shot. Where else would Max animators/users be? A post at ScriptSpot maybe?

Old 01-14-2014, 08:37 AM   #14
boumay
Expert
portfolio
Steve Iskenderian
Freelance
Makkah, Saudi Arabia

I'm using max 2012.
I get a lot of error messages before the file opens, and I'm unable to save it after that?
Does anyone knows if it is compatible?

Old 01-14-2014, 10:43 AM   #15
musashidan
Bar Stool Enthusiast

portfolio
Daniel McGrath
Dublin, Ireland

From the man himself....(posted only hours ago)

"Hello everyone. Thank you for your support. Indeed my Auto - rig was completed for use by myself, but not suitable to be used by any user with no knowledge of rig. I started this crowdfunding because many people asked me to provide my auto -rig. The problem is that it costs me a lot of free time to make it easy to use and reachable via a website. So, I created this crowdfunding to see if others were interested and find help in order to take time to finalize. The Crowdfunding probably will not happen at the end, and unfortunately I do not have the time to advertise in this moment. But I see that many people are interested enough, so I finalize my auto-rig and I will do the website myself to make available my self -rig . Anyway thank you for all the support , so I invite you to watch soon on the website cg- animation.com or rig will be available in a few weeks ."

Looks like it'll be available despite the looming crowdfund deadline

Thread Closed share thread