Autodesk..sort it out! Max file corruption on crash

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2014   #1
Autodesk..sort it out! Max file corruption on crash

Simple question....why is this not fixed yet? I just lost 25 mins work due to max crash file corruption. Not only that, but i save an increment after every big change to the max file i make. So i end up with hundreds of max files...Autodesk, i ask you (if you are reading this):

Do you think this is a feature you want associated with your product? It still has not been fixed after years. This is not something you expect to find in an "industry leaders" package

Does anyone have a solution to this?

Old 01 January 2014   #2
Are you saying that it actually corrupted the max file you were working in, and you had to go back to your previous versions?

Also, do you have autoback enabled? This saves automatically at a set interval, and has saved me many times.

Old 01 January 2014   #3
Originally Posted by Decency: Are you saying that it actually corrupted the max file you were working in, and you had to go back to your previous versions?

Also, do you have autoback enabled? This saves automatically at a set interval, and has saved me many times.

yes, as it crashes, it corrupts the max file as well as the last autoback file. This has happened to me since v2008. Im used to being terrified of crashes now but frankly, this is just not on.

I have been using 3dstudio since DOS days and im fed up. Im seriously considering C4d these days.

Old 01 January 2014   #4
It can happen, I've had it crash and corrupt all the files I had saved during the session, wish it wouldn't do that.

You can also try to open the Maxback.bak file, it's the last saved file.
I've also been able to recover corrupted files using Windows Backup to find previous versions of the file.

Old 01 January 2014   #5
Originally Posted by darthviper107: It can happen, I've had it crash and corrupt all the files I had saved during the session, wish it wouldn't do that.

You can also try to open the Maxback.bak file, it's the last saved file.
I've also been able to recover corrupted files using Windows Backup to find previous versions of the file.

I'm sure Max did'nt corrupt all your saved files exactly at the point where it crashed. Most propably a scene corruption creeped into the scene data during your working session without Max crashing, but tainting all the files you saved during the session. And finally after scene corruption got too big Max crashed, and you could'nt reload the previously saved files, because they already where flawed during save ...

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio

Old 01 January 2014   #6
Originally Posted by spacefrog: Most propably a scene corruption creeped into the scene data during your working session without Max crashing, but tainting all the files you saved during the session.

Oof, I didn't know this was a problem with Max. I remember Softimage had a problem like this for a few months several years ago. You would be working, saving iterations and 5-8 hours later realize that all of your saved files in the session were corrupted and unable to open. It was hands down the most frustrating experience of my career. We found a workaround until the hotfix but it added 2x time to the jobs from testing every single saved file.

OP, or anyone else with the issue, is this something you can replicate? Start from a scene file when it was good/working, save iterations and test opening them until you find what breaks them?

Old 01 January 2014   #7
It seems that a lot of this scene corruptions where because of faulty/invalid meshes.
That`s why they introduced the 'Mesh Inspector' in the 2014 release.

So yes, they are working on it.

Inspector Mesh...better than Inspector Barnaby.

Old 01 January 2014   #8
Originally Posted by spacefrog: I'm sure Max did'nt corrupt all your saved files exactly at the point where it crashed. Most propably a scene corruption creeped into the scene data during your working session without Max crashing, but tainting all the files you saved during the session. And finally after scene corruption got too big Max crashed, and you could'nt reload the previously saved files, because they already where flawed during save ...

It was an unrelated file

I've only had that happen once though, all other times it only corrupted the file I was currently working on.

Old 01 January 2014   #9
Originally Posted by Charkins: Oof, I didn't know this was a problem with Max.

I did'nt say that this is a general problem in Max, it just can happen. It can be corrupted meshes causing the problem as MGernot wrote or some buggy scripts and plugins. I think 3rd party plugins are the most critical player in this, even to the point where some special plugin combinations might trigger very very obscure bugs somewhere in code ( be it inside Max or the 3rd party plugin) and leading to creeping corruption.
Anyways, my experience with undetected scene corruption over several generations of saved Max files is all related to really old Max versions ( i think it was Max 6 or 7 i had this experience).
Nowadays Max crashes from time to time for me and takes the current working scene into the abyss, but backup saves and previous versions saves are fine...
And don't forget: even if you can't load a scene in Max there are chances you may be able to merge some parts in. Not possible of course when the maxfile header is broken or the filesize itself shows only as 0KB or someting ....

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio

Old 01 January 2014   #10
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread