CGTalk > Software > Autodesk 3ds max
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 12-16-2013, 05:51 PM   #1
Praedor
portfolio
USA

Fixing bulging eyeballs

I've been modding Mass Effect 3, UE3 game, for a while and with good success using 3ds max to mod the character meshes. Right now I've run into a problem that I cannot figure out how to fix: one character looks perfectly fine in 3ds max but when placed in the game her eyeballs bulge out of their sockets. I've tried moving the eyes in Mesh Edit mode, I've tried moving the bones for the eyes under the skin modifier (with deformation off). So far nothing has worked. Any suggestions or ideas?

Old 12-17-2013, 06:10 AM   #2
LegatoBluesummers
Frequenter

portfolio
USA

That's probably not a 3ds max problem,

is there some software you're using to get custom meshes into the engine?

Are you replacing meshes over an existing skeleton or are you trying to tweak what's already there?

Old 12-17-2013, 11:32 AM   #3
hotknife
Expert

Andrew Whitney
Nottingham,

Have you non-uniform scaled the eyes of their parents. ?

Unlink the eyes from their Parents if they have any. Reset the Xform on the eyes - and check there is no scaling on the parent of they eyes.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:53 AM   #4
Praedor
portfolio
USA

Process of import...and xform reset

I pull a mesh from the game and alter what's there usually, but in this case I went further and replaced a suggestion of a face (hidden behind a mostly opaque visor mask) and gave her a full function face. It works fine except the eyes. The originals were somewhat smaller and higher in her "head".

After making the changes, I export to psk format and import into UDK where I merely generate LODs and then save it to upk format. Upk format then imports flawlessly into the game (UE3 engine).

I checked the original eyes and when I select one as an element, the center of the object is just below the front surface, dead center of the eye. If I do same with new eyes, their center is where you'd expect for a sphere - center is in the geometric center of the eyeball. Also, in the original, the fat part of the eyeball bone is centered at what would be the geometric center of the eye sphere but with the new eyes it is riding high because the original eyes were higher than the new eyes...do the bones need to be shifted in position too? If so, do I do it with deform set off? Finally, after another suggested resetting xforms on the eyes, I did that and shifted the center from the origin to the same location in the eyeballs as the original. Is this correct or what else should I adjust with the xform modifier?

Old 12-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #5
Praedor
portfolio
USA

Bulging eyes, xforms no fix yet

I tried something to see if anything I've done has corrected the bugeyes as yet.

I imported a psa animation and ran it on the model. The eyes in the animation immediately move back up to the original height, poking through the eyelid area. In this screenshot you can see the eyeballs bulging out above the actual eye sockets.

I also adjusted the eyeball bones (Always Deform deselected) to the same relative position in the new eyes vs the original, then reactivated deform. I assume at this point that the xform on the bones, if that is even something that can be done, needs resetting. Or is there another fix? The face and eyes are correct for the model they derived from. I took a separate character head from the game, removed the face, eyes, mouthparts as a unit and saved it. I deleted the original partial face, imported the new face and put it into the correct position and adjusted the bones for the head/face all down and forward slightly to match with the way the new face had to sit. Then I attached the new face to the character mesh.

This worked with a different version of this character almost perfectly (there are two "uniforms" or bodies for this character and I'm modding both to have the face). The eyes in the original do tend to look up too high as she looks around in the game so it looks like her eyes are rolling back into her head but they do not bulge out incorrectly. The current model I'm working with alone has the bulging eye disease.

Old 12-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread