What Happened Max XBR

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2013
What Happened Max XBR

What Happened Max XBR (Excalibur) project. Is that abandoned.

Just curious, didnt heard anything since last webinar on Feb 2011

http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/ken/excalibur_xbr_notes

12 December 2013
I can't seem to find the source now, but I remember reading from one of the Autodesk guys/gals that XBR is more or less abandoned. Which, IMO, isn't necessarily good or bad. With the recent shakeup at AD, they've had to adjust their direction. Users are pretty optimistic about the new product manager, Frank Delise.

12 December 2013
Originally Posted by Charkins: . Users are pretty optimistic about the new product manager, Frank Delise.

Ughh - wait ...
You are definitely out of the loop, 'cause Frank Delise switched over roles again months ago already. After some time without any named Senior PM for 3ds Max Eddie Perlberg has take this role. Seems to be a great guy and since that announcement, overall 3ds Max community spirit recovered to some degree, after being sour and low after Frank Delise walked away.

http://www.maxunderground.com/archi...e_perlberg.html

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio

12 December 2013
Originally Posted by spacefrog: Frank Delise switched over roles again months ago already.

Wth?! Where this boat goes, nobody knows. Well, I don't.

12 December 2013
There were rumours about Tom Hudson jumping on the bandwagon again.
We'll have to find out what's going on.

Last edited by captain brainiac : 12 December 2013 at 09:37 PM.

12 December 2013
In case someone missed it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evKVrQYIV9k

12 December 2013
To my knowledge XBR wasn't something specific or radical that you'd sense or could point to, it was and probably still is their plan to modernize Max in a way that would have the smallest amount of impact on your workflow and interaction with Max, for instance the whole MassFX system and it's evolution or Nitrous and it's evolution or different UI enhancement are all part of XBR, so I think the road map that was XBR is still there.

And Tom Hudson did jump on the bandwagon as far as I know.

The new PM says there's a new spirit and a celebration of Max at adsk, I guess we'll find out soon enough if that's true.

12 December 2013
In less words - marketing BS.

12 December 2013
Hehe, I'll have to disagree, IMO it was and probably still is a genuine effort, usually the new version of other packages contain mostly new features, but in Max's case we all know that it's going to be more than that if it's still going to be relevant today, so I think the effort to modernize it from the grounds up makes quite a lot of sense, and also if it was really a marketing scheme we'd probably hear a lot more about it, as far as I know they had kept it under the wraps for a while before even letting us know about it.

But in the end it's adsk we are talking about, the company that rewrites an entire package's core and then wraps it up and puts it into the attic.

12 December 2013
Originally Posted by MGernot: In case someone missed it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evKVrQYIV9k

Holy crap, does this guy (Chris Murray) actually know what he is doing there? Doing simple beginner-mistakes all the time, and his answer to the question about the animatable pivot point receives a totally-failed!

He is trying to suggest to use the CATOffsetTransform Controller, which is something totally different and in no way usable as an animatable pivot! Suggesting to use that means he has no idea what an animatable pivot actually is. At least he should have chosen the CATHDPivotTrans controller as this really allows you to create an animatable pivot (but if, he would have to point out the technical limitations there, and I'm sure he wouldn't have done that). Also the way he is animating that (manually in Curve Editor) actually shows the problematic even if it was an animatable pivot at all!

Same goes for the question about the loopable cloth. Holy crap, Chris! Glad Kelcey helped this poor guy out.

No surprise Max development is doing like that if we have guys like him sitting there. And what makes me even more curious is nobody is jumping in to say: "Eh, Chris, sorry, but you are on the totally wrong track there." He is always looking at Kelcey for help and she is even pointing to his screen from time to time! They both look like two helpless kids who are trying to do something they are not familiar with.

Eddie Perlberg is trying hard to keep the users calm, repeating too often how proud he is. Just because he has a Max tatoo on his arm doesn't mean anything better.

Just like a user commented: Very depressing and also embarrasing video!

Last edited by Gräck : 12 December 2013 at 12:17 AM.

12 December 2013
Yeah,

once i finished watching that Expert Challenge video i immediately thought "My god, if THESE people develop 3ds Max, then it will certainly die within 3 years..."

It was absolutely awful... they managed to avoid specific and useful answer to every single of the questions that were asked, including something as simple as animating a flag flapping in the wind.

And i also did not know if i should laugh or cry when i saw the guy browsing around Hair & Fur modifier searching for something, and then he gave up as he could not find it. Of course he could not, because the UI arrangement i Max is an absolute mess... but i never though it would be such a mess even developer himself can't find his way around.

Only people still left in 3ds Max dev. team i believe in are Kelly Michels and Zap.

Last edited by Rawalanche : 12 December 2013 at 12:48 AM.

12 December 2013
Yes, the Hair&Fur part also caught my attention. It is obvious he was actually very surprised about so many rollouts popping up there.

And what's the point about the dragon rig actually? Yay, we have a dragon rig. But what to do with it, Chris? Ah, better use a teapot. And let's just move to somewhere else in the scene so that annoying, strange rig doesn't come in the way, as I didn't manage to put it into a proper layer to hide it quickly.

Showing Nitrous DOF performance: Yes, let's load in a nice-looking but slow-as-hell scene a user provided and let's show scrubbing the timeline like hell. Nice one, Chris!

Also, Kelcey and her Ribbon. Holy moly. The summary of Kelcey's input obviously is she is very proud of the help dialogs she introduced with Ribbon. Regardless of the huge mess the Ribbon produces to the overall Max UI. Congratulations. Looking forward to more of that...?

Another thing I was wondering about is Eddie Perlberg saying the Max / Max Design separation was requested by the users. Probably true in some way, but the point is (as always) the way it's being done. I'm sure nobody from the community wanted to have it like that. It was purely a marketing decision and Eddie is putting it the other way around and is even close to making the users responsible for the mess. This statement alone proves he is not a tiny bit better than the previous managers.

12 December 2013
While i share some of the concerns of you guys, i also find that the personal attacks on this people in your postings are really bad style.

12 December 2013
Well , Chris Murray is surely NOT a Max developer, but a demo artist, besides 100 other things he propably have to do for Autodesk. The video shows how much 3ds Max development is suffering because of lack of dedicated resources.

AFAIK there are dedicated autodesk people producing demos for Maya who know the advanced parts of Maya inside out (eg. Duncan Brimsmead).
Chris Murray has all possible things on his agenda and i'm sure he could do a better demo than shown in that video.

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio

12 December 2013
Originally Posted by MGernot: While i share some of the concerns of you guys, i also find that the personal attacks on this people in your postings are really bad style.

Right !

They get up in the morning and try to do their job as good as they can.
The fish is stinking from the head. Why for heaven sake did the management chop
the 3d-Dev team. So much experience lost, so many chances for max wiped out.

The people we see in the videos are not responsible for the current situation. And compared
to some "power user knowitall gurus" around here, they only can loose.
So guys be nice.... it is like it is.

Thread Closed share thread