Old 11-24-2013, 10:34 PM   #1
RossHildick3D
RossHildick3D
portfolio
Ross Hildick
3D Artist
London, United Kingdom

Maya to Max workflow issues

Im not talking about moving an object from maya to max - I'm talking about moving ME from Maya to Max!!

I can so easily toggle between low poly and smooth-preview mode in Maya and its awesomely fast to see what your works like by pressing 1 and 3 every not and then - I do this constantly while modelling going back and forth, changing thing, doing it again etc.... Am I right in thinking that, in Max, the only way is to enable turbosmooth, slap on at least two levels and keep going over to the menu and toggling it on and off... is there no keyboard smooth-preview mode like in maya? Can I make one?

Oh and there's a slide edge tool in maya - cant seem to find one in max :(

Cheers.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:13 AM   #2
Rudiam
Expert
portfolio
maziar rud
Freelancer
Western Sahara

Actually there is, the catch is that you'd need to be working with an Editable Poly object(not an Edit Poly Modifier), which based on your workflow may or may not be a bummer, there's a NURMS subdiv method built into the editable poly object(which is the same method used by turbo/meshSmooth), and you can assign a shortcut to that(it's called 'toggle nurms(poly)' in the customization panel)...

I'm not sure how the slide edge tool exactly works but based on it's name I think Swift Loop tool in the Ribbon(Graphite Modeling Tools) can do the trick here, it's available both on edit poly and editable poly objects, hover your mouse over it in the ribbon to see exactly how it works...

Old 11-25-2013, 03:25 AM   #3
RossHildick3D
RossHildick3D
portfolio
Ross Hildick
3D Artist
London, United Kingdom

Hmm I cant find the toggle thing youre talking about, can you give a more "perhaps-he's-a-dumbass" explanation? ha

The edgeloop tool thing works well, thanks! (It gets a bit confused if you have a dense mesh but that wont happen with me too often) Thanks!

Old 11-25-2013, 08:26 AM   #4
LegatoBluesummers
Frequenter

portfolio
USA

you just have to put on a turbosmooth modifier and click the show end result button. while maya's subD preview is neat, its not accurate. max might seem slightly clunky but you have better control over exactly what its going to look like.

There's a plugin called turbosmooth pro if you get tired of making control loops by hand, but idk how well it works b/c i never used it.

and swift loop is what you're looking for in general, or you can use the cut tool which basically slices from vertex to vertex. both are vastly superior to maya's clunky tools.

but you may be talking about chamfer (in max) which takes an edge and splits it into 2 or more edges. different than the maya chamfer and ofc vastly superior in every and all way.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:14 AM   #5
moulder6
Expert

portfolio
Peter Blackearth
3D Generalist
Sofia, Bulgaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossHildick3D
Hmm I cant find the toggle thing youre talking about, can you give a more "perhaps-he's-a-dumbass" explanation? ha

You can setup the shortcuts in the Customize Menu/Customize User Interface/Keyboard Tab. It may be called only "Toggle NURMS". That's the case if your max version isn't older than 2010... But then you wouldn't have the "Swift Loop" either.

In max 2014 you can press "X" and type NURMS in the popup window - this will give you an idea what to search for in the Keyboard tab.

Last edited by moulder6 : 11-25-2013 at 09:22 AM.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #6
robinb
Expert

In editable poly you can enable edge constraints and then move an edge loop. That's similar to sliding an edge loop. In a way it's more flexible as it's still a regular move in whichever transform coordinate space you like, not specifically sliding a percentage along an edge. Also works with scale.

I'd personally go with assigning a hotkey to "show end result" to allow quick toggling of modifiers like Turbosmooth. I'd still prefer to be able to model directly on the isosurface. I did that with Silo years ago, but it's workable.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #7
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread