3ds max 2014 freezes on startup, tried reinstalling.. :(

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2013
3ds max 2014 freezes on startup, tried reinstalling.. :(

I've been using max 2012 and 13' on this machine for a few months now, installed 14' about 2 months ago and it was running fine until it crashed on me last week and since then it freezes on startup everytime!

-Tried the activation fix to no avail
-Tried completely removing all autodesk products, even from the \appdata directories. I manually searched my C drive for anything 'autodesk' or '3ds' and removed them all.
-Used CCcleaner and cleared registry in between all uninstalls.
-of course restarted machine after uninstalls/installs...

What the heck could it be? Max 12 and 13 work when I re install them...

Surely it has to be some corrupt file buried somewhere, but where? Where else can I search/ and what for?

FWIW when I open max 2014 it doesn't give me any errors. In fact it appears to be working just fine for about 3 seconds, I can mouse around and even get a few clicks in before it just locks up on me. I've tried resetting factory settings in this 3 second span (file- reset). No error messages ever, it just freezes and goes into an un-responsive mode and I have to force close it.

Thanks for any help...

11 November 2013
Sounds like a video card driver maybe? If you can load all of the plugins and resources fine, but have a crash within the application navigating the viewport, maybe the viewport crashes max. Did you try the OpenGL or Software driver? Also, have you tried updating / reinstalling your graphics drivers? Did you try another card? Did you try seeing what all crashes, using windows event viewer or viewing mini dump files? Did you try a System Restore?

Unfortunately max relies on lots of resources within windows, its nearly impossible to tell whats the culprit, especially if you reinstalled everything. It could be some error in some dll within windows or some kind of small registry error, who knows? I've had a couple similar problems, trying to start max, and I also tried to wipe anything Autodesk completely from my computer, and max just refused to start, I just bit the bullet and reinstalled my OS, and you might just have to do the same. You could always make a backup image of your computer sometime down the road.

11 November 2013
thanks for the reply. I think I'm just going to wipe my machine.. Been kind of wanting to do it for a while anyways and this is just the straw that broke the camels back.

11 November 2013
Try to start using "3dsmax -h" from the command line. When you do so, Max asks you for the viewport driver it should use. Start testing all option throughout. Starting from Direct3D, Nitrous SOFTWARE mode ( does'nt involve hardware driver) and in the worsed case OpenGL.
If Max stills locks up after startup in all of those modes, your problem surely does NOT sit in the viewport/video card driver chain...

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio

11 November 2013
I know what this is!!

Something in your appdata has likely become corrupt, simply delete all 3dsmax data from your local and roaming appdata folders and restart max. It will start right up.

You'll need to set your preferences again, but you saved them, right?

11 November 2013
Originally Posted by emartin8907: -Tried completely removing all autodesk products, even from the \appdata directories. I manually searched my C drive for anything 'autodesk' or '3ds' and removed them all.

I think he removed everything.

11 November 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread