Saving Scene States in Max 2013

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2013
Saving Scene States in Max 2013

Hi all

Having problems getting scene states to work in 2013, never had a problem in previous versions, but all installations of 2013 on our work PCs have the same issues. Basically when I select Save Scene State from the Quad Menu nothing happens?! Anybody else experiencing the same problem?

I used to use Backburner, but Autodesk managed to break that on this release too, so trying to render multiple different scene states overnight is impossible!! :(

If anybody can offer any help it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

09 September 2013
Don't have an exact solution for you, but have you tried using State Sets instead of Scene States?

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by Decency: Don't have an exact solution for you, but have you tried using State Sets instead of Scene States?

Ye, tried that, didn't work either. Effectively what I'm trying to do is get multiple views from a single camera by rotating the model. Backburner used to be my method of choice, since the 2013 version doesn't work I was hoping I could rely on Save Scene States and Batch Render, but no, Autodesk have broken that too! Really starting to wonder why we bother "upgrading"?!

09 September 2013
Multiple views from a single camera by rotating a model? Could you try animating the rotation of the model, then use backburner and/or batch render? So Frame 0 is the default shot, frame 1 has the model rotated a bit, frame 2 has a new rotation.. etc. I guess I don't know exactly what you are trying to do, but would that work?

I used batch render, state sets, and backburner in a recent project I did and they worked great for managing 15 different renders with different render settings, cameras, and materials. My only small complaint was that you can't choose a State set in the batch render dialog, but other than that I found them very functional and useful.

09 September 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread